massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

http://www.massagetherapyfoundation.org/researchconference2010.html

Will you be attending?

Thinking of attending?

Wishing you could attend, but won't be able to this time?

If you can attend, what do you hope to get from the conference?

I will definitely be attending. There is quite a lot I hope to get from it, but most importantly I look forward to the opportunity to see and talk with some of my favorite colleagues, and to be introduced to new colleagues.

-CM

Views: 270

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Are they planning on videoing any of the presentations and throwing it on the web?
Good question. I don't know. Some conferences are beginning to do things like that, but it can present problems - e.g., how do you get folks to attend if they can 'watch' from home? How do you finance the conference if those folks won't be paying the conference registration? What if some presenters object to being recorded? Et cetera.

I suggest writing an email to Alison Pittas at the MTF. I'm sure she could answer your question and would do so swiftly. She is terrific.

apittas AT massagetherapyfoundation.org

Does your question mean you won't be attending, Vlad?
Cheers,
I just emailed her to find out and will let people know the response.

Aw man, I'd love to go.
Whitney Lowe, Leon Chiatow and Mr. Research Himself, Glenn Hymel (Yo Glenn - love your book, man!). Who wouldn't want to go? Julie Ann Day's workshop would probably be pretty brilliant too. In fact, everyone on that list is impressive.

It's a wee bit expensive though - especially since there's the airfare too. Seattle is a long way from me.
Could somebody not flip open a laptop and get a wee skype session going? (kidding......!)
Airfare?! To hell with that. I'm driving. It's only going to take two days!

I *loathe* commercial air travel and avoid it at all costs.
Rick Britton said:
surely the answer is to record the sessions and make them available once the conference has finished?

Maybe, maybe not. Doing that is an added expense, and is potentially a disincentive to having people register and attend. Apart from "virtual" conferences, which really are a different thing, I don't know of any conferences that have then released all or most of their sessions online. Are there any that do this?

The MTF did make a CD available after the 2005 version of this conference which had powerpoint presentations, presentation abstracts, copies of posters, et cetera on it.

Just to be clear - I'm not involved with the organization of the present conference, so I'm just speculating in this specific case. I'm sure Vlad will get the answer to this, and any follow up questions, from Ms. Pittas.
Alison was indeed very quick and efficient -
At this time they haven't determined whether they will be videotaping the sessions and if they do, if will likely only be the keynote speakers.
That would be cool.
I'm wishing to attend, but timing is an issue; might have to pass on this conference.

I'd love to meet several people I've gotten to know on this forum AND be surrounded by my peers; talk about energy!
I will be going. My office is a block away if anyone wants any travel info etc!!

Julie Onofrio
If I have to walk all the way from Wisconsin, I will be there ;) Luckily I don't think walking will be necessary...
Hey folks -

Acceptances and rejections for the conference proposals were announced today. I'm pleased that two proposals made by my group were accepted for oral presentation. We will look forward to presenting The Effects of Massage Therapy on Autonomic Nervous System Activity and Affect and Cortisol Reductions in Response to Massage Therapy: A Comprehensive Quantitative Review. I hope some of you will be in attendance.

Sadly, other proposals that I was very excited about were rejected. It probably didn't help our case that we requested more than the standard amount of time for Energy Medicine in Massage Therapy: A Scientific Debate and Discussion and Massage Therapy and Randomized Controlled Trials: The "Gold Standard" Explained, but that's how these things go. I was very much looking forward to the possibility of doing the first one, as the topic has generated some long-running and good discussion in another thread on this site. Also, I had lined up a perfect colleague to do this with me - an energy medicine proponent, with Ph.D. training, who is a both a practitioner and educator. I think it had the potential to be a really great conference session. Oh well, that's how these things go.

This thread has been dormant for a while, but it's not too soon to get people thinking about and making plans to get to this conference. If you're coming, tell us. And if you're still thinking about it, I encourage you to strongly consider it. The 2005 edition was very interesting and a lot of fun, too. Hope to see you there.
Five years apart; very disappointing. Christopher, please submit both rejected proposals at another conference; give me one year leyway to plan. I REALLY would like to hear them.

My research team has a study that wasn't ready this year; hope to have some solid info to report in the next year. It has a public health slant.

Congrats on the two proposals that did get accepted.
Thanks Robin.

Possibly, the ideas from the rejected proposals will make their way into a publication, or will be communicated in some other form. There are only so many slots at a conference, after all.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service