massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

http://www.massagetherapyfoundation.org/researchconference2010.html

Will you be attending?

Thinking of attending?

Wishing you could attend, but won't be able to this time?

If you can attend, what do you hope to get from the conference?

I will definitely be attending. There is quite a lot I hope to get from it, but most importantly I look forward to the opportunity to see and talk with some of my favorite colleagues, and to be introduced to new colleagues.

-CM

Views: 270

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Doc - are you making fun of squirrels?

Did you know that squirrels are really into massage and, more to the point, research in massage therapy?

Take, for example, a recent study in which we did some research into whether tapotement over the kidney area would actually cause kidney damage:

Turns out that Quentin, the squirrel on the table (his parents were Tarantino fans) ended up on a dialysis machine.

Us in the squirrel world are pretty hard core when it comes to research.
Wow.
The conference schedule is taking shape - see for yourself:

http://guest.cvent.com/EVENTS/Info/Agenda.aspx?e=3f3002ae-dfa2-457a...

Also, remember that the reduced rate for registration is in place until March 31st. You can still register after that, but it will cost you a little more. It appears there are also some new, less-expensive options for persons interested in registering for a single day or for two days. More information here:

http://www.massagetherapyfoundation.org/researchconference2010.html
We just got the word in that a related pair of case reports that myself and one of my classmates/labmates submitted has been accepted for presentation :) If you're there, make sure you check out the case reports (and then start making your own for contribution to future research conferences and the MTF case report contest!!) and stop by and say hello!
First off - Kim, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
Having your case report selected for presentation is a HUGE DEAL. It shows that you know your stuff!
I was trying to find the thread that I had for "is anyone doing a case report for the MTF contest" but couldn't find the dang thing, so I'm going to post about it on here - I hope Doc doesn't mind.
First off, the MTF has their guidelines now posted for this years contest. The content of the document seems pretty good.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a book on just case reports only (I can find general ones on case studies - but they're too general)?
Also, Kim. I'm nominating you as the Case-Report-Queen. Do you have any advice or notes for people interested in doing one? What did you think were the biggest challenges in doing the one that you're going to be presenting (you don't have to name the subject, but I bet the challenges could be ones that others would have).

Also, anyone else got any input on case reports?

Maybe we could look at some of the winners from previous years and identify aspects of them that made them good? Would anyone be interested in that?
Solpod hopes to make it...............We have been providing Hot Stone replacements to the Massage Industry for years. We hope to attend. We have introduced PRIVATE LABEL pods to the industry. Advertise your business on solpod! A terrific marketing avenue for any massage therapist.
Just an FYI:

Ruth Werner and Diana Thompson were interviewed about the conference on massage therapy radio you can listen to them talking on a recording on the site.

They talk about what will be going on at the conference and it sounds like it's going to be a brilliant opportunity to learn about research from many different aspects - and it's also and opportunity for us to tell the researchers what we need from them.

Even if you are not going to the conference, their talk is really worth listening to since they cover what is meant by translational research, the role of massage in public health and the importance of research in general and how it relates to every therapist in every practice plus a lot of other topics.

Good stuff.
The squirrel is pumped!
It's going to be coooooool.

Oh, and the early bird rate is extended for another 2 weeks
Good update Vlad. Thanks for pointing out to folks that the early bird rate has been extended.

I haven't heard the recording yet, but I will listen to it this weekend.

Folks - if you're on the fence about coming to Seattle - go!

(Also, I can't help but mention - I just now came from a meeting with the Dean of the college who just made a chunk of change available in support of my two students who will be presenting their case studies at the conference!)
Vlad, my apologies for the delay in responding to this! Spring break was busy and this first week back has been busier. Lucky for me I have the next 4 days off to catch up on stuff! ;)

Thank you for the congrats, I am really, really excited about it! And first off, I can't take all of the credit because I've had a lot of help along the way from Chris (Moyer). If not for him, I would not be presenting in Seattle at all. The student I am presenting with, Meghan, has also worked very hard and it will be great for us to present our work together.
As for challenges...there really weren't many but we had a good plan before we started so that is probably why. You need to have a good plan of action. Meghan started her case study while I was nearing completion of my first one in the fall (that I'm not presenting- different topic). Her and Chris developed a plan of action for that one, and this semester when I came back I essentially followed the same plan, though I only ran half the number of sessions (mostly due to time constraints). We had a set schedule pre-determined (not the exact dates/times, but rate of sessions- once per week for 5 consecutive weeks) and also knew what measures we were going to use and had those organized. Doing the sessions was simple- measures were taken, the massage was performed, and we made a new appointment for the following week. Writing the report is the hardest part, and that is something I still have yet to complete (unfortunately it is taking a back seat to my course work, as it is an "extra", though I am going to try to publish one or both reports when they are completed, possibly this summer).

The best advice I could give would just be to have a plan set up before you start the work and also think ahead to potential complications. One good thing about case reports, is that they are case reports- a single study. They are generally more "real life" than a controlled experiment also, so things happen and it's ok. You do not prove anything in a single case, you just hope to find some valuable information and maybe a base to then move onto a larger scale study of the same topic if the results are promising. That's all I can think of for now..I'm happy to help if anyone has specific questions, though. :)

Vlad said:
First off - Kim, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
Having your case report selected for presentation is a HUGE DEAL. It shows that you know your stuff!
I was trying to find the thread that I had for "is anyone doing a case report for the MTF contest" but couldn't find the dang thing, so I'm going to post about it on here - I hope Doc doesn't mind.
First off, the MTF has their guidelines now posted for this years contest. The content of the document seems pretty good.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a book on just case reports only (I can find general ones on case studies - but they're too general)?
Also, Kim. I'm nominating you as the Case-Report-Queen. Do you have any advice or notes for people interested in doing one? What did you think were the biggest challenges in doing the one that you're going to be presenting (you don't have to name the subject, but I bet the challenges could be ones that others would have).

Also, anyone else got any input on case reports?

Maybe we could look at some of the winners from previous years and identify aspects of them that made them good? Would anyone be interested in that?
The Seattle conference is really close now. My students and I are putting the finishing touches on our materials and presentations, and plans for various social outings are also starting to gel.

Post a reply if you'll be attending.
It's the final countdown to the MT research event of the year and it's also time for a chair boogie!

Attached is a list of restaurants in the area of the Red Lion Hotel. It's not a list of all of them since there are a lot, but it's a mixture and it ranges from $ (cheap 'n' cheerful) to $$$$ (there's one in there where it sounds like dinner would cost a weeks income).

iPhone users: Take time out from worshipping Steve Jobs and download one of the free restaurant picker apps if you don't already have one. They're handy.

Seattle seems to have quite a few Irish pubs. I hope that some of my fellow attendees might like to check out the quality of the pubs to see if they have an authentic feel to them. It's all in the name of research.

Also, if anyone LIVES in Seattle (big virtual nod to Julie O) and has recommendations for eateries or drinkeries, please add them to this thread.

Cheers!
Attachments:
Thanks for doing this Vlad. Much appreciated.

And yeah, you Seattle locals, pipe up and let us know where we should spend our out-of-town bucks.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service