massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

I am looking for shoes.  Any suggestions from the uber-massage therapists out there??

Views: 23620

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rick,
Thanks for the info.

Rick Johnson said:
Have a pair of "Shape ups" for men made by Sketchers that I really like.They really do promote good posture and balance.I work in a Physical therapy clinic and a Chiro clinic so barefoot is not an option. Have a pair of MBT's on order,so, same idea.And I really like my New Balance 992's for great support. Good footwear is vital for those of us on our feet all day.
Marissa,
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated

Marissa Macias said:
In full honesty here.... I'm currently using a Nike running shoe. Lots of support, easy/uninhibited movement, and good "breathing" of the fabric.
Jason,
Thanks for the info. I can't go barefoot although that would be great.

Jason Allen Wright said:
Disclaimer: I am not an uber-massage therapist :-)

Like Donna I also prefer being barefoot in as much as being barefoot feels better for me than using shoes, and I believe that my feet are stronger and more functional for it. To keep a good grip on the floor, keep my feet warm, and allow my feet to function naturally I wear a pair of Vibram Five Fingers with Injinji toe socks.
Thanks Lara!

Lara Nabours said:
Nice comfortable professional looking flats is my vote, especially if you are going to be doing mobile/travel massage. I suppose it depends on what type of massage you do and where you work? If you are fortunate enough to give massages on the beach outdoors then comfortable sandals or barefoot may work, but in most places I would think it most professional to wear shoes that cover your toes and provide you with support. I am not an uber-massage therapist though...I graduate in December. :)
Thanks Laurie!

Laurie Russell said:
I have a many different style shoes I like wear. I enjoy the support of a good shoe or clog, but in summer a lighter shoe is nice, too. What do I look for when shopping - other than comfort, I listen for squeaks. I have bought many shoes - leather, canvas, synthetic - that squeak while walking or stepping. I find it very annoying to have my shoes go eek-eek during a quiet, peaceful massage session. As soon as I hear the squeak, the shoes are retired from massage work. I am not sure if the client hears the shoes, but if it bothers me, I am sure it affects my work.
Donna,
Thanks much!

Donna Martin said:
Hi Julie and welcome!

I am afraid that I am not going to be much help here. I work in my socks. I work for myself so I do not have to adhere to a dress code. I tried several different types of shoes, but my feet continued to hurt. I have never been much for shoes, always preferred to be barefoot and my feet seem to like that too!

I have 3 pairs of nice looking leather clogs that I wear when my clients arrive and are leaving, I slip them off just before I begin the massage. I realize that this will not work for everyone, but it works for me.
I love Dansko, all technicians in our spa wear either MBT or Dansko. Check them out, Zappos has great prices and free shipping to and from if they aren't the right fit. Hope this helps! It's all about the shoes!!
Shelbie,

I have a couple pairs but just wanted to get some other ideas in case others have found something better. Thanks.

Shelbie Degener said:
I love Dansko, all technicians in our spa wear either MBT or Dansko. Check them out, Zappos has great prices and free shipping to and from if they aren't the right fit. Hope this helps! It's all about the shoes!!
I cant offer any advice i work bearfoot, never have had anything on my feet not even in school. Which i was suposed to but i didnt. I find it quieter and easier for me to dance around my table
Jodi,

I'll be looking for my July/August issue, thanks for the heads up. I think the Vibram five fingers are way cool.

Jodi Hardee said:
In the upcoming July/August issue of Massage & Bodywork, we address the topic of apparel and footwear for MTs. The issue mails next week so be on the lookout for that and we will post links to the article online as well.

I'm curious to know what everyone thinks of the Vibram Five Fingers shoes? http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/indexNA.cfm
I have seen them on several occasions during trips to the local REI but style-wise I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to try them! They are supposed to be the next best thing to going barefoot.
I wish I had that luxury.

Jenny Lancey-Flammia said:
I cant offer any advice i work bearfoot, never have had anything on my feet not even in school. Which i was suposed to but i didnt. I find it quieter and easier for me to dance around my table
I wear driving mocassins. Sometimes I do barefoot shiatsu work, and the shoes have to come on and off easily.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service