massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

So from what I gather, draping is really a state thing first and then based on the state's code of ethics, a client-therapist consideration.

With that said, I believe TX's current regulations states: draping will be used during the session, unless otherwise agreed to by both the client and the licensee

I read this to say that draping is NOT a state requirement but a client-therapist consideration. This may explain why I get a lot of requests for non draping sessions.

Just yesterday I got a request from someone looking for a professional massage but states that he does not like draping. He also offered to pay more if I would allow this.

My first instinct with all these clients is that no draping request = wanting something extra than a professional massage. However the state regulations says contrary.

So am I foolish for turning down a session because of this? I know I must follow my intuition, so I have already written him a note thanking him for the interest but letting him know that it would make me too uncomfortable. I explained that this was not how I was taught or how I practice, and therefore doing such a session would not be giving him the best I could give.

But I am curious as to other's thoughts and practices with regards to draping. Do you get a lot of requests to exclude it? What are your state's regulations? Have you ever worked on someone who wasn't draped?

Let the dialog begin...

Views: 168456

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A lot has changed since the 70s, including free love and the title of massuse (spelling?). I stopped following this discussion for awhile because we are all on a learning curve no matter how long in the "profession." Now when you talk about the 70s that did not make what was done then right now for massage therapy. I think all of us needs to get a grip if we want to be taken seriously.

Daniel Cohen said:
Marilyn perhaps you should call the Massage Museum to ask if they have this text. If they do not it would make a good donation to our history.

In the early 70s I took my first massage class. Yes the entire class would remove their clothes including the teacher and her demo. It had two purposes, 1) to make us relaxed about our bodies 2) to make it quick and easy to switch. We were not required to be nude to be part of the class, but almost everyone was. There were over 20 students in the class and it was at a University. Since then I have taken my certification course and many advanced classes for CEUs.

It was a great class in Swedish Massage that gave me a good base for the classes in this century. The class even addressed male anatomical reactions to massage. Today many schools even drape the male chest as they do the female. Only a few of the classes I have taken this century have been undraped but not nude. There are those I've taken that we were in underwear or shorts while on the table or being assessed. I guess 21st century society has become shyer counter to the predictions of futurologists of the last century.

The only constant is change.

Sue H said:
But I don't massage breasts or genitals so don't need them uncovered at any point during the treatment....

And that's one of the best things about massage therapy as a profession -- that there are so many different massage styles and modalities that you can practice your craft in the way that gives you the most satisfaction. Or you can choose not to practice styles that you don't want to. For myself, I don't like doing painful deep tissue work. Clients who feel that they don't get their money's worth if they aren't gritting their teeth through the entire massage should look elsewhere.

But the point I was trying to make, and the point that Daniel already made so well, is that we massage professionals shouldn't settle for being like medical professionals. That diminishes what we can offer our clients.

The best of us help to improve the wellness of every dimension of our clients -- the physical, the emotional and the metaphysical (i.e. beyond the physical; the energetic or spiritual). We share the incredible gift of our touch in a touch-deprived culture. We are privileged to make a living in a way that has an immediate positive effect on the lives of the people who come to us.

So back to the original topic, it's really easy for me to stay focused on what I'm doing rather than what the client is showing.
I wonder how many participating in this thread are spa-based employees who have a constantly rotating clientel vs. private practitioners that build a consistent, relationship-based clientel. In the former I can understand the need for rules and guidlines because the two people involved don't know each other. In the latter, however, it seems an important part of the relationship is communications and trust.

When someone is on your table for the first time then I would think common courtesy for both the client and the therapist would be to err on the conservative side to respect appropriate boundaries. When the person has been on the table 5 to 10 times I presume that some communications has happened regarding the client / therapist relationship and you each know the other's preferences and intentions. If there was a mismatch their would not be that many return sessions.

So if you know your client and your client knows you then do whatever you both agree on. The door is closed. The state is not in the room with you. There is no rule that says you have to offer drape or no drape to EVERY person on your table. Do you trust them? Do they trust you? If you build a relationship where you can reasonably trust the person do anything you both want behind the door and don't do anything that either of you doesn't want.
The comments by Rob are very ambiguous and can be interpreted in many ways. Doing what? behind closed doors that you and the client feel comfortable with? If there are limits to this interpretation, I wish that Rob would clean up his comments and not leave them so open ended!
Laura K Dylla said:

Rob E said:
I wonder how many participating in this thread are spa-based employees who have a constantly rotating clientel vs. private practitioners that build a consistent, relationship-based clientel. In the former I can understand the need for rules and guidlines because the two people involved don't know each other. In the latter, however, it seems an important part of the relationship is communications and trust.

When someone is on your table for the first time then I would think common courtesy for both the client and the therapist would be to err on the conservative side to respect appropriate boundaries. When the person has been on the table 5 to 10 times I presume that some communications has happened regarding the client / therapist relationship and you each know the other's preferences and intentions. If there was a mismatch their would not be that many return sessions.

So if you know your client and your client knows you then do whatever you both agree on. The door is closed. The state is not in the room with you. There is no rule that says you have to offer drape or no drape to EVERY person on your table. Do you trust them? Do they trust you? If you build a relationship where you can reasonably trust the person do anything you both want behind the door and don't do anything that either of you doesn't want.
Laura...I didn't read any ambiguous comments. I believe the point he is making is the relationship between client/therapist and how that is different when it's a first time client versus a repeating client. And because that relationship is different, our sessions are different. they evolve. and where a first time client WOULD seem too new for something like no draping, a long time repeat client would have a different relationship with you and it could be more comfortable (i.e acceptable) to have no draping.

and I completely agree with Rob. I have some clients that it wouldn't phase me to have no draping and I have clients I would feel totally inappropriate with no draping. As someone else said...it's not the draping that makes it an ethical question it's the intent.

Laura K Dylla said:
The comments by Rob are very ambiguous and can be interpreted in many ways. Doing what? behind closed doors that you and the client feel comfortable with? If there are limits to this interpretation, I wish that Rob would clean up his comments and not leave them so open ended!
Laura K Dylla said:

Rob E said:

I agree with Lisa. I read no ambiguous statements in Rob's post. I further agree with what Lisa said in regards to the rest of her post.
My comments are intended to be open ended. The thread is about draping so start there. If you trust your client and are comfortable around the human body and your client trust you and does not want a drape then don't drape. If either of you are not comfortable then drape. Solid communication between you and your client will keep you on the same page and neither of you should ever be uncomfortable with how the massage is done. Extend the concept to breast massage. Extend it to any type of interaction you have with your client. No one is in the room except the two of you and you've both consented. I'm not fond of a local / state / federal government making that decision for people.

To not beat around a bush, the underlying thread of this subject that no one wants to say out loud is whether nudity and theraputic contact with breasts is sexual or if the client being naked will promote sexual interaction. That really depends upon the two people behind the closed door and what they believe. For many people (client or therapist) it's not sexual at all. It's just a body. Other people won't or can't separate nudity and physical contact from sexuality. What I'm trying to express is neither is right or wrong. Being a client or therapist and feeling there is something sexual going on when you don't want it to be is wrong and that should never happen. The only way you uncover (no pun) the viewpoint of your client or therapist is through communicating and getting to know them.

And, yes, I'll say the unpopular. Everyone can crash in with the chiding responses....if there is a sexual tone to whatever is happening and BOTH the therapist and client are OK with it then "whatever." They are adults who have agreed. What you agree to in your room may not be what I agree to in my room but I'm just really not a fan of people outside the room telling other people what they should do during their session. That's up to the therapist and client. Just don't be charging money for anyting other than a massage. That's just flat out illegal.

Laura K Dylla said:
Laura K Dylla said:

Rob E said:

Quote #1 " So if you know your client and your client knows you then do whatever you both agree on. The door is closed. The state is not in the room with you. There is no rule that says you have to offer drape or no drape to EVERY person on your table. Do you trust them? Do they trust you? If you build a relationship where you can reasonably trust the person do anything you both want behind the door and don't do anything that either of you doesn't want."
Quote #2" And, yes, I'll say the unpopular. Everyone can crash in with the chiding responses....if there is a sexual tone to whatever is happening and BOTH the therapist and client are OK with it then "whatever." They are adults who have agreed. What you agree to in your room may not be what I agree to in my room but I'm just really not a fan of people outside the room telling other people what they should do during their session. That's up to the therapist and client. Just don't be charging money for anyting other than a massage. That's just flat out illegal."

My Question: Why did draping of the human female or male torso become important when Massage Therapy Therapy was first trying to get started? Was it to address what Rob eludes to so that the massage industry in the US could get its fledging feet on the ground and get accepted as a viable pain relief modality without the pressure of that forbidden word "sex" entering in?
The first above quote is what I was referring to in my first post and I thank you Rob for so kindly explaining yourself in the second quote. I see that you did "come out" with your explanation statement and that is what I read into your post previously. I have difficulty your statements and wonder what place such a belief has in the Massage Therapy industry as a whole. I am not pruddish but I am cautious as to how an individual Massage Therapist with this belief with "clients who agree" could be a value to the Massage Therapy Industry and who it benefits "in knowing your clients". Is your
"belief" a reason why male therapists have difficulty being hired to give massages given the erroneous belief of the millions who do not get massage, is that eventually, more may happen when you get to "know" each other better? ( My words )
I guess I am a lot old fashioned and didn't get into massage until 2000. But down here in Texas where I first started giving massages, it took my company several years of hard work overcoming the beliefs that people had about the validity of massage as a medical need vs a superflous-expensive-feel-good-if-you-are-rich-way-to spend money. Even in this small town, men have expected more than a swedish massage. And if you think what happens in a room with closed doors which maybe titilatting in nature, STAYS THERE, you are sadly mistaken. Word eventually leaks out no matter how you try to keep it to yourselves.
So as stated in the beginning, just WHY did the massage industry as a whole, CHOOSE to maintain draping as a prerequsite in giving massage?

My comments are intended to be open ended. The thread is about draping so start there. If you trust your client and are comfortable around the human body and your client trust you and does not want a drape then don't drape. If either of you are not comfortable then drape. Solid communication between you and your client will keep you on the same page and neither of you should ever be uncomfortable with how the massage is done. Extend the concept to breast massage. Extend it to any type of interaction you have with your client. No one is in the room except the two of you and you've both consented. I'm not fond of a local / state / federal government making that decision for people.

To not beat around a bush, the underlying thread of this subject that no one wants to say out loud is whether nudity and theraputic contact with breasts is sexual or if the client being naked will promote sexual interaction. That really depends upon the two people behind the closed door and what they believe. For many people (client or therapist) it's not sexual at all. It's just a body. Other people won't or can't separate nudity and physical contact from sexuality. What I'm trying to express is neither is right or wrong. Being a client or therapist and feeling there is something sexual going on when you don't want it to be is wrong and that should never happen. The only way you uncover (no pun) the viewpoint of your client or therapist is through communicating and getting to know them.

And, yes, I'll say the unpopular. Everyone can crash in with the chiding responses....if there is a sexual tone to whatever is happening and BOTH the therapist and client are OK with it then "whatever." They are adults who have agreed. What you agree to in your room may not be what I agree to in my room but I'm just really not a fan of people outside the room telling other people what they should do during their session. That's up to the therapist and client. Just don't be charging money for anyting other than a massage. That's just flat out illegal.

Laura K Dylla said:
Laura K Dylla said:

Rob E said:

I don't believe Massage Therapy as a whole, has embraced draping. Many MTs in Asia, Europe and in more tropical settings have been massaging without draping for years. It's only in the US that draping seems to be predominant. At least that is my understanding. And I personally relate that to our society being very uptight when it comes to nudity in general. Maybe if our society as a whole wasn't so "prudish" then there wouldn't be the sexual misinterpretations to what we do. But that's a whole different discussion.

Laura K Dylla said:
Quote #1 " So if you know your client and your client knows you then do whatever you both agree on. The door is closed. The state is not in the room with you. There is no rule that says you have to offer drape or no drape to EVERY person on your table. Do you trust them? Do they trust you? If you build a relationship where you can reasonably trust the person do anything you both want behind the door and don't do anything that either of you doesn't want."
Quote #2" And, yes, I'll say the unpopular. Everyone can crash in with the chiding responses....if there is a sexual tone to whatever is happening and BOTH the therapist and client are OK with it then "whatever." They are adults who have agreed. What you agree to in your room may not be what I agree to in my room but I'm just really not a fan of people outside the room telling other people what they should do during their session. That's up to the therapist and client. Just don't be charging money for anyting other than a massage. That's just flat out illegal."

My Question: Why did draping of the human female or male torso become important when Massage Therapy Therapy was first trying to get started? Was it to address what Rob eludes to so that the massage industry in the US could get its fledging feet on the ground and get accepted as a viable pain relief modality without the pressure of that forbidden word "sex" entering in?
The first above quote is what I was referring to in my first post and I thank you Rob for so kindly explaining yourself in the second quote. I see that you did "come out" with your explanation statement and that is what I read into your post previously. I have difficulty your statements and wonder what place such a belief has in the Massage Therapy industry as a whole. I am not pruddish but I am cautious as to how an individual Massage Therapist with this belief with "clients who agree" could be a value to the Massage Therapy Industry and who it benefits "in knowing your clients". Is your
"belief" a reason why male therapists have difficulty being hired to give massages given the erroneous belief of the millions who do not get massage, is that eventually, more may happen when you get to "know" each other better? ( My words )
I guess I am a lot old fashioned and didn't get into massage until 2000. But down here in Texas where I first started giving massages, it took my company several years of hard work overcoming the beliefs that people had about the validity of massage as a medical need vs a superflous-expensive-feel-good-if-you-are-rich-way-to spend money. Even in this small town, men have expected more than a swedish massage. And if you think what happens in a room with closed doors which maybe titilatting in nature, STAYS THERE, you are sadly mistaken. Word eventually leaks out no matter how you try to keep it to yourselves.
So as stated in the beginning, just WHY did the massage industry as a whole, CHOOSE to maintain draping as a prerequsite in giving massage?
Well, the MT market as a whole did not choose for draping. It’s just the North American market and particularly the United States due to cultural views. So, to answer why the governing bodies of MT chose draping would simply be because it reflected broader cultural trends and that’s OK. However, simply measured by the number of voices who have contributed to this thread the US market does not adopt draping as a whole. The practice was put upon them by the governing bodies.

I’m not advocating drape or no-drape. I’m advocating that you and every other MT make the choice they are comfortable with. That’s the right choice.

I have always looked at and pondered what happens in the minds of the therapist and the client from a psychological point of view and how massage affects mental health. I have psychologists in the family and mental health is common topic. I am a bit of an armchair philosopher so I love hearing your thoughts on this and all the voices with different views. I’m really glad you’ve asked the question “Why drape” because it is the crux of it all.

I don’t believe the drape / no-drape issue promotes or reduces sexuality in a session one bit. I do believe that is why it was introduced because in our culture nudity is equated with sexuality but when that door closes the two people are simply going to do what they both want to do. A sheet, a towel, or a law is not going to stop that. Don’t read that as a claim that all MT’s or clients want that. Overwhelmingly most do not. But when the two that do are in the room it’s happening and nothing on the planet is going to stop it.

My remarks are proposing there is a mental sexual response that occurs in EVERY massage session. Again, don’t hone in on the salacious. The mental response almost never results in a sexual action. Think broadly. Some people will choose draping or choose MT’s or even choose massage styles because they feel like there is less of a sexual component. They choose same gender, they choose clothing-on options, they choose things that make them feel safe because they are worried about the sexual component of the session. It was still a sexually driven response and choice. MT’s choose for the same reasons. That’s the correct choice because it comes from what’s important to them.

However, I really have been convinced that every MT has a surprisingly large amount of people who come because of self image, body acceptance, and human connection that touches on the client’s mental sexual health. Laura, I obviously don’t know your clients but based on knowing our culture and the way we live our lives I feel accurate in making this claim: In well over half of your regular client’s lives you touch them more than any human being they know. Many times, even if they are married, you spend more total minutes making physical contact with them then anyone they know. You see more of their body naked, even with draping, for more minutes than anyone else does. For some of your clients you may be the ONLY person in their lives that touches their body in a nurturing, caring way. Can you really believe that being such a privileged person in their lives doesn’t put some sexual tone on a session? I choose the word “tone” because I’m not referring to a “sexual act.” There’s a big difference.

“Laura doesn’t think my body is so hideous it can’t be seen. Laura doesn’t think my body is so hideous it can’t be touched. Laura is someone I can trust with my entire body and she won’t be critical of me.” It may not be why you wanted to become a MT but I don’t think I’m wrong in saying this is a part of what you provide for a large number of clients and for some clients it’s the only reason they come back. It’s a place their body can be accepted for what it is.

So, a good follow up question is why do men want to be undraped more often than women do? That’s not an absolute rule but I’ll bet it’s usually the case. Could it be that in our culture we are constantly trying to get women out of their clothes and keep men in theirs? Our culture loves a beautiful, scantily clad or naked female body but there isn’t remotely the same demand to see the male form. In fact, the male form is still considered to be obscene in many ways. Especially a penis. “Stand back! It could go off at any second!”

If you are a woman in our society maybe you don’t feel your body measures up or you have more people than you want trying to separate you from your clothes. “Please, keep me draped and covered unless absolutely necessary” she says. If you’re a man in our society you’ve learned that if your body is not covered up you’re “creepy” or “a predator” and you’re starting to wonder if your body is so bad and obscene nobody should ever see it. How great must it feel for them if their is a place their body isn't obscene.

I still stand by the position that your personal value system needs to be your guide. If you’re not comfortable don’t. If you are comfortable, fine. I would only propose we continue to think about why clients might make any kind of request and not immediately conclude their intentions are ill natured.

Laura K Dylla said:

Laura K Dylla said:
Laura K Dylla said:

Rob E said:

Felicia184 said:
I never do un-draped. If they don't like the sheet, I use a towel.
There's nothing I need to work on that is covered by that towel, so why would it need be exposed?
I've had a few ask for undraped and when I told them I do draped massage, some were ok with the towel, some didn't show or call back. And some of those that were ok with the towel, still tried to suggest extra services.
And one even left the towel off when I left the room for him to change, and I came back in to a naked man. I politely covered him with a towel and he left it on...but, then, when I was thru, he propositioned me and asked for me to let him massage me. I of course declined and left quick as I could get out of there.
After that, I don't even take clients that ask for un-draped, EVEN if they say they are cool with being draped once I tell them I do draped only.

I believe only uncover what's going to be worked on, no mis-understandings if things are kept that way.

lol... Hey Felicia I thought that was funny "He wanted to Massage you" lol.... wow! I had a client while I was massaging his arm, he was trying to massage my arm. I pressed his arm on the table and asked him whether he wanted me to finish the massage session.

Anyways, Today I had a phone call and a text message about draping. A guy called me and said if I had any appts available with a female therapist and he likes to get massages un-drapped. He said he was going to call back when he noticed that I was very professional with him. Then, a few mnts later I got a text message from a guy trying to book a massage. He asked if I use drape, I said Absolutely!!! lol.... he said: Well, maybe that's not the right place for me. I said thanks for your interest in our business, but we are licensed professionals and we go by the law. He text me back saying, well I am glad you you were upfront. There are some crazy people out there man!

I even had to take out the UNISEX out of my business name. I wanted to provide services for both men and women, but there are some people who think that unisex has something sexual about it :-(
Draping or no draping is that matter? for me if i was do swedish or lomi lomi I refer minimal draping, but the matter is about your professional level. (We are human being of course we have feeling, and thought).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service