massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

So from what I gather, draping is really a state thing first and then based on the state's code of ethics, a client-therapist consideration.

With that said, I believe TX's current regulations states: draping will be used during the session, unless otherwise agreed to by both the client and the licensee

I read this to say that draping is NOT a state requirement but a client-therapist consideration. This may explain why I get a lot of requests for non draping sessions.

Just yesterday I got a request from someone looking for a professional massage but states that he does not like draping. He also offered to pay more if I would allow this.

My first instinct with all these clients is that no draping request = wanting something extra than a professional massage. However the state regulations says contrary.

So am I foolish for turning down a session because of this? I know I must follow my intuition, so I have already written him a note thanking him for the interest but letting him know that it would make me too uncomfortable. I explained that this was not how I was taught or how I practice, and therefore doing such a session would not be giving him the best I could give.

But I am curious as to other's thoughts and practices with regards to draping. Do you get a lot of requests to exclude it? What are your state's regulations? Have you ever worked on someone who wasn't draped?

Let the dialog begin...

Views: 168932

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Peter Hernandez said:
 I began my career in Greece where draping was almost never an issue there. You have to be at ease with the situation that is about unfold (no pun)  Try to use minimal drapes (towels) at first. I have had over the years had many females start by wanting to wear under garments AND draping and after some sessions understood that they were safe with me and now are very comfortable to have either minimal draping or no draping at all. I always stay sensitive to their sense of comfort. As for my female LMT buddies many have said it is they themselves that must obtain that sense of security with a male client over a period of time. That may be a segway to let the clients know that once a sense of "comfort" and trust has been obtained sure  possible why not? 

It's a body. I find it so strange that people are so worried about looking at genitalia. To each their own.

Of course, you WILL be inviting a numerous amount of undesirables if you choose to advertise that you perform non-draped massage. That's just how it is. It is not hard to weed them out. It is YOUR right to refuse service to anyone and to terminate any massage for any reason.

In my practice, the women are the only ones who prefer to be be draped usually. I offer full draping, towel or nude. Nude is very freeing and that's how I prefer to get my massages (unless the room is cold). It is on my intake form and must be signed by both the client and the therapist. It also states that if any unwanted advances are given by the client, the session will be terminated. Nude massage is meant to be freeing without distractions not an invitation for sex. 

In my nine years of experience, when men ask for no draping, 90% of the time they are expecting more than a massage. Their argument that they just don't feel comfortable under a sheet has always seemed flimsy to me. Even though in Texas it is permitted, I require it now because it saves me a lot of trouble. There's plenty of other clients out there.
Linda, you illustrate my point. Draping should be a matter of choice rather than law. It is choice rather than professionalism questioned either way. It is about choice for what both client and therapist are comfortable with.

Linda Little said:
In my nine years of experience, when men ask for no draping, 90% of the time they are expecting more than a massage. Their argument that they just don't feel comfortable under a sheet has always seemed flimsy to me. Even though in Texas it is permitted, I require it now because it saves me a lot of trouble. There's plenty of other clients out there.
I had a client who over the years would comment now and then on how much he wanted to be exposed and not draped. In Arizona it is a law, but even if it weren't, I would insist that the client be draped. There is no reason not to be and in my opinion anyone who wants to be completely naked while getting a massage is either going to make a therapist very uncomfortable or attract the wrong kind of massage. Perhaps they should go to a nudist camp. LOL!

It seems one of us may be reading the law in error. I see only that it restricts being undraped if it "is intended to appeal to the prurient interest of the massage therapy client or the massage therapist." Throughout the regulations conditions are set but I see nothing that says it is illegal. There are also stipulations for doing breast massage but it is not prohibited either. There are often misunderstandings about state laws. Many posts even by instructors have contained them. I think that is an excellant subject for a webcast,"Understanding the State Laws".

Your LOL makes a joke of the issue but it is serious. Would you want a law that could revoke your license because of, as you moved the draping, the client moved wrong and you happened to see the genitals? Laws must be written with many aspects in mind. But you do make a point although I wouldn't agree with the need to go to a nudist camp. What if both client and therapist were nudists into the lifestyle, is there a reason for them to go to a nudist club rather than the massage therapy room to go undraped?

Jan Jakubowski said:

I had a client who over the years would comment now and then on how much he wanted to be exposed and not draped. In Arizona it is a law, but even if it weren't, I would insist that the client be draped. There is no reason not to be and in my opinion anyone who wants to be completely naked while getting a massage is either going to make a therapist very uncomfortable or attract the wrong kind of massage. Perhaps they should go to a nudist camp. LOL!
I believe the Arizona State Law states something directly leading to the crack of the butt cheeks and genitalia cannot be exposed and yes, the breasts can be worked on by a female therapist upon request of the female client. But, if you don't mind having someone butt naked and exposed on your table and that is what they want...to each their own! I will add, yes if something goes against a written law it is automatically deemed to be illegal.

Daniel Cohen said:

It seems one of us may be reading the law in error. I see only that it restricts being undraped if it "is intended to appeal to the prurient interest of the massage therapy client or the massage therapist." Throughout the regulations conditions are set but I see nothing that says it is illegal. There are also stipulations for doing breast massage but it is not prohibited either. There are often misunderstandings about state laws. Many posts even by instructors have contained them. I think that is an excellant subject for a webcast,"Understanding the State Laws".

Jan Jakubowski said:

I've seen enough bodies in 25+ years of practice that a "cute"? guy is irrelevant. I don't get many requests to skip the draping, but I work for a DC.

State law here in NC (and most states) is that you drape.  That being said, I understand why some people hate sheet draping.  They can be bulky, and a pain to move quickly and effectively.  My solution is easy... If the weather is warm enough that a client is unlikely to get chilled, I offer them a sarong.  I picked up a dozen when I was in Hawaii, and they're great.  They're typically quite large enough to cover a slim to average person almost completely.  They're very lightweight, they're brightly colored and patterned, so there is no see-through like you get with thin sheets.  My ladies with hot flashes LOVE them.  They're even better when I'm only doing upper or lower body work on someone.  You can fit more of them in the washing machine, and they're much less hassle to fold.  In most cases when I'm getting a massage, I prefer draping. I'm the biggest wimp on the planet when it comes to cold, and when I relax, my body temperature drops.  I want the heater on & a blanket over the sheet. Bulky be damned! But for an outdoor summer massage from my therapist friend? SARONG!

For the very few clients I have who hate full sheet draping, a sarong meets both our needs. Many other clients like them just because they're different & fun. One client loves the blue with the red butterflies, another likes the green fish etc. Most of the massage seekers out there who would pressure you to go drape free aren't the type to book an appointment when they find out you're inside a medical office. I think I've been asked twice in the 5 years I've been in NC.  Both times I've simply said that draping is law in this state, and while we do have lightweight draping options, they would definitely be covered. Neither one  booked, and that's fine with me.

Oh yeah... sarongs can be bought wholesale on the web.

As I read this thread, and have participated earlier, I keep coming to the conclusion that the issue isn't about drape or massage practices. I think the real issue being discussed is our cultural view.

I promote draping as an option, receive massage with no drape, and give with no drape so you would say I'm advocating for it. However, I could not argue that massage by it's nature and certainly no draping are not linked to human sexuality. It seems clear to me that it is. However, we have interaction with other humans every day where it results in no physical, sexual interaction. It happens with almost every human we meet in endless shades of gray.

My observation would be that our culture, as a general rule, sexuallizes women by trying to get them out of their clothes and stigimatizes men by viewing their nudity as offensive. I'm suggesting a generalized rule, not in all cases. If I'm right would it be any surprise that women consistantly cling to drape while it will most often be the men who request no drape? Are women looking for safe haven where their body is not being measured and compared and no one is trying to sexualize them? Do men want to be exposed because it might be a place their body won't offend anyone, which clearly it would be offending many people on this board. I'm sure their are many women who request no drape but I would conceed it is a fraction compared to men. Why? There is a reason and I don't believe most of those people are predators, while I'm sure a few are.

If you will entertain my theory, what do you think we do to people (especially men) when we view their body so objectionably? Just from reading the majority of these posts from people who are comfortable with the human body it would be easy to conclude that the human form, and in particular the male form, is dangerous or something to be affraid of. At a minimum it would seem that the male form is viewed as toxic. It would also give very little credit to men and presumes they are predators.

Why is basic conact between people and the sight of the human body when no sexual contact is involved viewed with such danger? What are we telling people about their bodies and what beliefs are we cementing in our minds and those of the our clients about their own bodies? If our MT is affraid of our parts how much do they scare people who aren't used to working with the body.

It would seem to me that we are simply driving a message that our bodies are bad and we should hide them. Men and women both need to hide but for different reasons. I would also threorize that we hide not because we don't want people to see but because we don't want to offend other people. Overwhelmingly people are modest firstly because they don't want to offend anyone and secondly because they don't want someone to see.

Is the human body really as dangerous as I'm reading about? Do we have so little faith in people that we think we must have sex if we don't have clothes on?

If the MT or the client is not comfortable then people should not be doing anything someone is not comfortable with. I'm just so puzzled why we are so uncomfortable with it.

Thanks, Ezekiel, but I'm not quite ready to villanize the establishment or anyone who has an opposite opinion.

Those rules and social values are here because most people who live here share those views. I am very aware that my view is in the minority. I don't want them to adopt my view for any reason other than they feel my view makes sense. If someone thinks I've gone 'round the bend and I'm gibbering nonsense then they need to stick to their values. It's another core part of this discussion. We all have different values and if our values are not allways in agreement we should not disparage the other. No one likes to live with values they don't embrace.  I very much support a MT who requires a drape because it is what makes them comfortable .

I hope my comments make sense but I am the consumate advocate for the right to choose you own values.

Ezekiel OBrien said:

Rob last time you got philosophical about draping your post was genius. The follow up comment or rebuttal was about as on base as a centerfielder. Who needs thought out debate when we have LOLs, emotion, and laws written by fundamentalists?

Thanks for the extra information. At first reading the phrase "fundamentalist" seemed to be a stereo typing term as opposed to a historical reference.

Just to keep the conversation light and fun (i.e. no malice intended), given you are an Athiest shouldn't you thank Al Gore for Google instead of God?

Ezekiel OBrien said:

Rob, it is not a villanization but a fact that in a few states that I have practiced fundamentalist Christians sat on the original boards that wrote the initial massage legislation while I was practicing as a 1,000 hour certificate holder.  Thank God for google so you know where your legislator or State massage board member came from.   They were there at Creation or drafted the standard by Fiat you might say.  But to be both an Atheist who is also strongly in support of draping choice I am doubly a minority.  But I can, do and will stick up for myself fine.  I also do see the other sides point of view I am just not willing to have it imposed on me or my clients.

I have not replied to any posts but find that I must point out an obvious conclusion that I could see based on reading many of the for or against draping agenda.

I find it repugnant that having a Draping always preference should be equated with moralism or religion...VS  those against draping or who have practiced no draping as preferenced by clients. It seems kinda preachy that the PRO DRAPING moralize their opinion and interject their feelings and or bias in such a way that it sounds like moralizing of the first degree. 

Whether we give massage with draping or not...it seems totally out of context to moralize also about whether we demonize the male body and glorify the female.  Then to interject personal opinions even though preference for DRAPING may be based on religious upbringing.  Whether they are based on a religious upbringing or not, I PERSONALLY PREFER NOT TO SEE A NUDE MALE OR FEMALE BODY, period.  So my practice and business requires full draping...and if anyone wants to assume that I do that because I attend church, you are sadly mistaken. 

Frankly the human body is beautiful in all its stages of development from birth to old age and death.  As a country we obviously have only glorified the sexually beautiful and have left the other stages out of the picture based on media hype that sells ads or cosmetic enhancements which keep a human body artificially beautiful. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service