massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

There are a lot of very important, very serious discussions going on, so I thought I'd add something a little less intense just for fun. :-)

What is your favorite massage music? I'm always looking for something new, as I get bored hearing the same stuff over and over. (Hearing the same two CDs at massage school for a year made me anti-Enya forever!)

Please include the name of the CD, the artist, a brief description and why you like it. (If there's a good website where you can get the music, add that, too!)

1) "Blessings to You"

2) Therapeutic Harpist Tami Briggs

3) Three "simple" (as opposed to "complex" like Jazz) pieces combine harp, flute and guitar for a deeply felt yet soothing combination that lasts approximately one hour.

4) I love it because it's very non-intrusive, calming music that becomes part of the whole relaxation experience. I really enjoy solo instrumental music that doesn't have the sometimes-distracting nature/vocal elements. Plus, this CD doesn't have any previously recorded music on it, which I find can be distracting. (Love the Four Seasons, but you can hear Vivaldi at any wedding or on a Macy's shopping trip. Kind of ruins the mood for me!) Tami is a local Minnesota girl, and I enjoy supporting the "small" artists. I have several of her other CD's, including the lullaby CD for my daughter!

5) www.MusicalRelfections.com

Your turn! :-)

Views: 1530

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One and a half days a week I break from my regular sports/clinical practice and am in a "spa" setting. After a few hours of the pan flute and the sound of mating whales I am ready to run head long to the nearest heavy techno rock bar or seek out some sombrero wearing Mariachi band......ok maybe not that bad, but I would love to have some suggestions about some more middle of the road stuff that won't make ME drift off.
I really like a local artist here in Denver. His name is Darren Curtis Skanson. He does classical guitar. Some big classics and some originals. I think my favorite album of his is titled "A Quiet Moment", which is a compilation of him and two other local musicians. It all has a good energy and rhythm, relaxing but not sleepy. I am sure he can be found on a website. Just google his name.
When I was in school my teacher played Buddha Cafe for us while we did Shiatsu. I loved it. It's hindu/R&B/jazz mixer. I don't think I would use it in my practice because for me it airs on the sensual side. It's worth a listen too, you may feel differently. It reminds me of a band in the early 90's that had chanting monks in it. When I am on the market for new music I turn on my tv and head for the music channels in the six hundreds. They have one called "Soundscapes". I'll put that on and walk away. When I hear something I like I go back to the tv and get the muscian/album name and the year it was made. You can go to Borders or Barnes and Noble I believe and have a listen before purchasing. Me personally I love piano and ocean or thunder storms. I once worked in a Spa with Satellight radio this looped thing of like 200 songs. None of them have words, so if you like a song a lot it becomes the impossible dream to find it! LOL
I love George Skaroulis, he is a pianist from Atlanta, GA. His CD Sanctuary is my favorite. If you go to www.evzonemusic.com, you can hear some of his music. Great music for massage.
Hi Rosemary!

Are you actually from Ireland? Wow! I'm Irish, too, although just a descendant. Still Irish and proud, though!

Sorry about Enya. Just too much for too long. Still very in love with Clannad, though. But it's hard to massage to them!

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check them out, especially the Celtic harp. Sounds delightful!

Nice to "meet" you! :-)

Julianne

Rosemary Chunco said:
Hey Julianne,
Awww...you're Enya'd out? I'm Irish, so that's a shame. I have to admit it has happened to me too. But I still listen to her every now and then.

My favs (yep, giving mroe than one, but I can't pick one!):
- Alhambra, by Jon Mark. You'll get it on amazon and you can hear snippets of it on there too . It sort of tells a story through the music and it's transporting. I get the most comments from clients on it.

- Reiki Offering by Shastro and Nadama. the temp of it is just cool and it's the easiest to fall asleep to. I remember working in a spa and another therapist asking me for a lend of a CD, she gave it back asfter she'd listneed to it and said "That would put anyone to sleep". Yep - that's the point, right? maybe she normally played ACDC.

- Celtic Harp by Paul Baker. Just 'cos it's Irishy and it reminds me of home!

I think I'll check out your CD!
Lorrie~

You totally crack me up! I hear you! It's so much harder when other people choose your music. I'm excited to see what everyone enjoys.

Thanks for posting!

Lorrie said:
One and a half days a week I break from my regular sports/clinical practice and am in a "spa" setting. After a few hours of the pan flute and the sound of mating whales I am ready to run head long to the nearest heavy techno rock bar or seek out some sombrero wearing Mariachi band......ok maybe not that bad, but I would love to have some suggestions about some more middle of the road stuff that won't make ME drift off.
Thanks, Nate! I'm originally from Denver, so I'd be especially excited to support a Colorado artist. I love classical guitar! Can't wait to check him out.

Peace,
Julianne

Nate Ewert said:
I really like a local artist here in Denver. His name is Darren Curtis Skanson. He does classical guitar. Some big classics and some originals. I think my favorite album of his is titled "A Quiet Moment", which is a compilation of him and two other local musicians. It all has a good energy and rhythm, relaxing but not sleepy. I am sure he can be found on a website. Just google his name.
Hi Laurie! It may be too sensual for the studio, but it sounds like something great for home. The salon I used to work at had Sirius, and I finally had to give up the "impossible dream" on some of the good stuff. It took too much time to figure it out--if I ever did.

Thanks for posting!
Julianne

Laurie L. Irlbacher LMT said:
When I was in school my teacher played Buddha Cafe for us while we did Shiatsu. I loved it. It's hindu/R&B/jazz mixer. I don't think I would use it in my practice because for me it airs on the sensual side. It's worth a listen too, you may feel differently. It reminds me of a band in the early 90's that had chanting monks in it. When I am on the market for new music I turn on my tv and head for the music channels in the six hundreds. They have one called "Soundscapes". I'll put that on and walk away. When I hear something I like I go back to the tv and get the muscian/album name and the year it was made. You can go to Borders or Barnes and Noble I believe and have a listen before purchasing. Me personally I love piano and ocean or thunder storms. I once worked in a Spa with Satellight radio this looped thing of like 200 songs. None of them have words, so if you like a song a lot it becomes the impossible dream to find it! LOL
Thank you, Kathy! I'm off to sample some of these marvelous suggestions.

Peace,
Julianne

Kathy Bradley said:
I love George Skaroulis, he is a pianist from Atlanta, GA. His CD Sanctuary is my favorite. If you go to www.evzonemusic.com, you can hear some of his music. Great music for massage.
I hope you like George's music!
I haven't heard Kater before, but I love Naki! Fabulous for massage! Thanks for posting. :-)

Henry Hardnock said:
Since I have Comanche Native American on my mothers side, I like that kind of music, mostly by Carlos Naki and Peter Kater, most of their recordings are very good.
There was a CD that came out a few years back. I watched people in my lobby fall asleep within a few minutes while waiting for their massage. And when people would wait for someone getting a massage, they didn't have a chance. It surprisingly was sold at Wal~Mart and was called "Dream Sleep". Half the battle was won before they ever entered the massage room. The hard part was keeping my therapists awake. I had many clients request to buy the CD as they left.

This is one of the reasons I feel music should be recognized in the Massage Therapy Hall of Fame. Our first musician, Steve Halpern will be recognized next year in Berea.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service