massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

If you are. What states are you in? and If you are not why or did you choose to go the state testing route?
I don't mean to pry I am asking since this is an important decision that I want to make as I make it again.

Views: 184

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I have not take the "NCE" and was one of the SME (subject matter experts) who helped to develop the MBLEx.

I'm in California where a new State government chartered non-profit CAMTC will shortly be issuing practitioner certification that will preempt local regulation for those who choose to apply.

The CAMTC enabling legislation doesn't require applicants to pass either the NCE or MBLEx. This decision was based on empirical evidence showing that the expense/paperwork these exams require was unlikely to provided a significant public safety benefit.

Regardless, it's worth noting that both exams can be used to support application for CA certification by practitioners moving into the state from other states/countries.
Pennsylvania. I got Nationally Certified as soon as I was able to after graduation. Pennsylvania just passed the bill to be licensed, but it has not gone into effect yet. The school I went to explained that it would make things easier when the bill went through, and it made me proud of myself to go a little further and be more professional.
Hi BB,
When you are in a state that test NCB and you pass, you are given NCB certification. and after you pay state fees, they give you your state license without further tests. As long as you maintain your NCB status, with required ce classes, you do not have to re-test if you move to another state. But if you let it lapse and you move. You have to re-test. A lot of people do not wish to face that again. People know this doesn't get them actual certification in anything specifically. It was a beginning program to get the profession organized and accepted. It also "helps" the general public accept therapists more, because it shows an effort to be professional. Like all groups, people join for different reasons.

Behnam Benyamin said:
Ok, let me get this right! What's Nationally Certified? What National, what certification?
With all due respect to those who are "Nationally Certified", the last time I checked the "National Certification" is the name of the business, name of the club, IS THE NAME OF THE COMPANY for massage sake!

If your are considering yourself a THERAPEUTIC massage therapist, the education, dedication and professionalism are all a given, no matter what TEST to take in order to get your state license! You are not Nationally recognized what so ever. You are licensed for your own state IF your state requires one!

I will leave it at this because I don't what to hurt people's feelings. After all, they paid much MORE for the "Nationally Certification" test and CEUs which are forced to that 24 hr of them for double the price.( i've got over 50 hr this year anyway )

BB
Virginia uses National Certification as their way of approving an MT for business so I had to take it when I graduated in order to practice. I did not continue with National Certification. Maintaining National certification is not required in Va. although the same CEU requirements need to be kept. I do not see the value in spending more money to have 4 more letters at the end of my name. 99% of my clients would not know what NCMT is compared to CMT (designation in Va.) All they care about is my professionalism and how they feel when they get off of my table.

Peace
Thank you Mike, I have been asking for solid information as to why we as LMT sign and pay for more....
thanks again

Mike Hinkle said:
Hi BB,
When you are in a state that test NCB and you pass, you are given NCB certification. and after you pay state fees, they give you your state license without further tests. As long as you maintain your NCB status, with required ce classes, you do not have to re-test if you move to another state. But if you let it lapse and you move. You have to re-test. A lot of people do not wish to face that again. People know this doesn't get them actual certification in anything specifically. It was a beginning program to get the profession organized and accepted. It also "helps" the general public accept therapists more, because it shows an effort to be professional. Like all groups, people join for different reasons.

Behnam Benyamin said:
Ok, let me get this right! What's Nationally Certified? What National, what certification?
With all due respect to those who are "Nationally Certified", the last time I checked the "National Certification" is the name of the business, name of the club, IS THE NAME OF THE COMPANY for massage sake!

If your are considering yourself a THERAPEUTIC massage therapist, the education, dedication and professionalism are all a given, no matter what TEST to take in order to get your state license! You are not Nationally recognized what so ever. You are licensed for your own state IF your state requires one!

I will leave it at this because I don't what to hurt people's feelings. After all, they paid much MORE for the "Nationally Certification" test and CEUs which are forced to that 24 hr of them for double the price.( i've got over 50 hr this year anyway )

BB
This makes perfect sense!!!

Gerry Bunnell said:
Virginia uses National Certification as their way of approving an MT for business so I had to take it when I graduated in order to practice. I did not continue with National Certification. Maintaining National certification is not required in Va. although the same CEU requirements need to be kept. I do not see the value in spending more money to have 4 more letters at the end of my name. 99% of my clients would not know what NCMT is compared to CMT (designation in Va.) All they care about is my professionalism and how they feel when they get off of my table.

Peace
I am Nationally Certified, IL State and in the process of adding WI State right now .
Do you often work in both states? Are you that close to the border for both places? That makes sense!
Yes I just moved over the border and I work at a hospital in IL still so my practice has expanded considerably . I cover a 40mile area and will cover a little more when my WI certification is done .

Julia said:
Do you often work in both states? Are you that close to the border for both places? That makes sense!
I am not at this time though I do plan to take the MBLEx this winter. I had meant to take it shortly after graduating from massage school in December of 2007. Then my husband deployed to Iraq and I had a health scare, so it got put off and now I feel the need to refresh my O's & I's and some other things that I know hands-on but blank out on when looking at it on paper, kwim? I live & practice in Indiana and am already state licensed, but we may be leaving Indiana at the end of next year and the states on our short list are all on the list of states that use/require the MBLEx so I need to get it done.
Hey everybody I am closing this discussion. I have been enlightened and I will use as well as pass the information on to new LMT's!!!!
I have been enlightened and I will use as well as pass the information on to new LMT's!!!!

JenniferB said:
I am licensed in Texas, and soon to be licensed in Missouri! I will be taking the Ncbtmb in a couple weeks, so I will also alse be "nationally licensed." As someone pointed out, this is not a valid "legal" title, since they do not issue licenses. Each state has it's own laws governing massage, but many states are starting to use this method of testing. I believe it definitely gives you a good foundation for understanding massage.

RSS

© 2014   Created by Lara Evans Bracciante.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service