massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

OK...i knew that would get this group's attention!!

so i was at my bike club's holiday party last night and i got to talking to someone that i have only seen on our message boards but never talked to in person.

when i first came onto the Dallas biking scene, i was just starting school for massage and not practicing. my personality and humor has always been a little provokative and i LOVE sexual banter. since becoming an MT I have curtailed my humor on that forum because my fear was that i wouldn't be taken seriously as an MT and i'd be inviting the wrong clientele.

so last night this guy had mentioned how i don't banter nearly as much anymore on the forum. i explained why.

well it got me thinking...is it fair that an MT has to be more reserved (so to speak) even in their personal lives because of what we do for a living? i'm sure if i were a chiro or PT i could easily continue with my type of humor without concern on how it would affect the perception of who I am in my professional life.

figured i'd throw out the discussion here versus the main forum where people are less rowdy. :)

Views: 246

Replies to This Discussion

I like this discussion. I have tuned down my language and jokes pretty hardcore ;). Around my close friends I make jokes and stuff still but I try and keep it clean around new people now. My best friend is in med school so I can make jokes about massage and medical related stuff and he understands and knows that I don't really carry that into the massage field. I wish I could be myself around clients and stuff but I think the professional thing to do is to keep your comments to yourself when it comes to things you find funny in the massage world. People that don't know you will take things the wrong way really easily.

I remember some of our classes getting way out of control with jokes. But we were all pretty mature and knew that it was all in good fun. It helps people relax when your able to joke around about things I think.
i agree Joseph. laughter is the best form of relaxation. our class was similar when it came time to discuss the sex topic in our ethics class. laughter just helps the awkwardness of it all.

Joseph Matties said:
I like this discussion. I have tuned down my language and jokes pretty hardcore ;). Around my close friends I make jokes and stuff still but I try and keep it clean around new people now. My best friend is in med school so I can make jokes about massage and medical related stuff and he understands and knows that I don't really carry that into the massage field. I wish I could be myself around clients and stuff but I think the professional thing to do is to keep your comments to yourself when it comes to things you find funny in the massage world. People that don't know you will take things the wrong way really easily.

I remember some of our classes getting way out of control with jokes. But we were all pretty mature and knew that it was all in good fun. It helps people relax when your able to joke around about things I think.
Hi gang
I been doing my MFR course recently and some of the cross hand holds are ..fairly intimate ... anyways our instructor demonstrates a hold across the groin (whilst receiver is almost doing the splitz) explaining how it can help with pmt fertility probs etc etc anyways its just my luck to be paired up with a 25 yr old hot damn princess for this who when I apply the technique to her is not the slightest bit concerned about my proximatey or how I would like to spend the rest of my life in her arms so we chat a little small talk as the holds are quite a long time (she is v flexible).
Anyways its her turn to apply the technique to me whilst I am doing a horizontal version of the splitz, and as we are doing the technique we continue to try to carry on with the small talk...... anyways I burst out laughing and she is saying tell me! tell me what it is ??? and she starts laughing too ..so everyone is now looking at us and I say to the instructor that this technique is great for erectile disfunction too! everyone is laughing so I add that I hadn't had one since I woke up this morning.........

Oh bollocks I thought it was funny... maybe you just had to be there at the time.
Actually, it's hilarious! Well done. Have you done the lumbar/SI joint decompression with the anterior pelvic tilt "cradle hold"? That one will get you going!

Stephen Jeffrey said:
Hi gang
I been doing my MFR course recently and some of the cross hand holds are ..fairly intimate ... anyways our instructor demonstrates a hold across the groin (whilst receiver is almost doing the splitz) explaining how it can help with pmt fertility probs etc etc anyways its just my luck to be paired up with a 25 yr old hot damn princess for this who when I apply the technique to her is not the slightest bit concerned about my proximatey or how I would like to spend the rest of my life in her arms so we chat a little small talk as the holds are quite a long time (she is v flexible).
Anyways its her turn to apply the technique to me whilst I am doing a horizontal version of the splitz, and as we are doing the technique we continue to try to carry on with the small talk...... anyways I burst out laughing and she is saying tell me! tell me what it is ??? and she starts laughing too ..so everyone is now looking at us and I say to the instructor that this technique is great for erectile disfunction too! everyone is laughing so I add that I hadn't had one since I woke up this morning.........

Oh bollocks I thought it was funny... maybe you just had to be there at the time.
Hi Marrisa are you John Barnes mfr trained ? we got Ruth Duncan teaching Johns methods here in the UK ......no cradle holds yet......maybe level three .......can you describe ?

Marissa Macias said:
Actually, it's hilarious! Well done. Have you done the lumbar/SI joint decompression with the anterior pelvic tilt "cradle hold"? That one will get you going!

Stephen Jeffrey said:
Hi gang

First of all Stephen, funny as hell and no, I wouldn't have wanted to be there.
Well, let's say guilty by association. I have not taken "official" classes from him, unfortunately. It's on my to-do list. My original MFR training was by a Barnes student and then the PT I worked most closely with the last 6+ years has taken all his courses. I can never afford it or have the time when he's in town and then, with the family, it makes it hard to travel. Some day I will get to do it right. Fondest wish: go to the red rocks seminar. Big smiles.

Stephen Jeffrey said:
Hi Marrisa are you John Barnes mfr trained ? we got Ruth Duncan teaching Johns methods here in the UK ......no cradle holds yet......maybe level three .......can you describe ?
This thread always makes me laugh...Stephen, this may be the best story yet! Well done. That's a class I also have on my list of things to do. I'm tempted to ask if you liked it, but I think we know the answer already. :o)
*laaaaaughs*

Marilyn St.John said:
I'm tempted to ask if you liked it, but I think we know the answer already. :o)
Joking aside for a minute I loved the course. Having watched "strolling under the skin" (a must have dvd about living fascia) you can really appreciate how everything is connected by fascia and how you could work very deeply using a v slow melting technique. I did mfr levels 1 and 2 together and am sure I will intigrate it into my sessions.

What will take me longer to get to grips with was the reaction to treatment during our training by some of my fellow therapists, although part of the reason I signed up was I had an unwinding during a trail session that was a very gentle but "unique experience" some of the unwindings "emotional releases" exhibited during our training were not gentle and went on for some time.

I am very surprised there is presently no John Barnes Myofascial Release group on mbp ??

Marilyn St.John said:
This thread always makes me laugh...Stephen, this may be the best story yet! Well done. That's a class I also have on my list of things to do. I'm tempted to ask if you liked it, but I think we know the answer already. :o)
I kinda wondered about that myself...he seems to be very well known...or is it that he just advertises his classes a lot? I haven't actually heard (read) that a lot of people mention having studied with him.
I did MFR 1 with him. It was good and I use it a lot.

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service