massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

I have been compiling a list of survey questions. It will be available next week and I will let you know how to access it. I am seeking 1,000 therapists to participate so please pass this information on. I will be compiling the information with a colleague and writing an article on our industry.

Thanking you all in advance, Gloria

Some things to think about in the meantime......

Has your career in massage turned out to be the way you imagined originally? If not why?
If you work for someone do they pay for your continuing education or a % of it?

Speak up and Speak out! What do you think is a fair wage for an entry level massage therapist and/or should there be a different wage for someone with experience?

Also, what challenges have you faced if you employ therapists?
What challenges have you faced if you are a sole self employed practitioner?
What challenges have you faced working for someone else?

Thanking you in advance, Gloria

Views: 345

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i got a laugh about the hairstylists comment. In CT massage was never compared to hair stylists and if you saw an MT working it was usually in a spa like setting just for massage...although they would include facials and things like that. here in TX i was surprised to see just how many hair places offer massage. at first i thought it was like the pathetic massage you get at a nail salon, but then i realized that these massages were considered full body massages. Many locations here are in little shopping malls where you have a big reception area and then the place is segregated into many little rooms. You rent these rooms and it would seem mostly MTs and hair stylists are in these types of places. I had never seen anything like that in CT. On the one hand i love it cause it allows an MT to have their own little space without the huge cost of truly having their own space...but at the same time i DO find it odd that the other people you'd work besides are hair stylists.

I guess what it really comes down to is educating the clientelle on just what we do. I am always giving little speeches about attachment sites and just what we were taught in school so the client can see we are FAR more closer related to a medical profession than getting a great hair cut.

Gerry Bunnell said:
5 years or so ago I read on one of the career sites that the mean earnings of a massage therapist was around $55,000.00 a year. I wondered to myself what market they were taking their info from. That meant there were at least 30% of therapists making more than that, and to this day I can not conceive how any single therapist can make that amount of money unless they are a spa owner with other therapists working for them. The numbers just don't add up in my calculator.

Given the wages I am seening listed here, I am even more convinced that mean earnings I found was hype, most likely put out by a massage school. It could have been the way they surveyed. If they ask a therapist how much they make an hour, and then factor that into a 40 hour work week, I can see where they got that figure. We all know here that therapists do not work 40 hours/week doing back to back massages. If they did, they would be burnt in a couple of weeks, I don't care how good of shape they are in.

I am currently shocked at how little MTs earn compared to other therapists in the healthcare field. For a very long time I was put out by the attitudes so many had of MTs being in the same category as hair stylists. No offence to hair stylists, but I feel MTs provide a greater therapeutic service and we assume greater risks in our work and should be compensated and given the respect that is accorded to the work we do.

I feel self esteem is a huge issue in our industry, but something that is not openly discussed. Hmmmm, sorry for my rambling folks, but I think I just hit on a new forum topic. Thanks for this string Gloria, great questions.

Peace
Just rec'd some data from the International Spa Association. According to their research the 'average' wage for massage therapist across the board in 2009 is $30 K to $50/yr which includes day spas, medical spas , resorts etc. No mention of private practice. The Northeast ranking the highest to Southwest the lowest.

If you work in one of these facilities do you agree with these statistics.
i don't know if i do. i'm with Gerry in that do they calculate these earnings based on a per hour fee and then times it by an assumed 40 hour work week?

I DO believe the Northeast would be higher...but i believe that's because there is more money in these places. Massages easily go for $100 in CT. but that's because the majority of people can afford that there.

Gloria Coppola said:
Just rec'd some data from the International Spa Association. According to their research the 'average' wage for massage therapist across the board in 2009 is $30 K to $50/yr which includes day spas, medical spas , resorts etc. No mention of private practice. The Northeast ranking the highest to Southwest the lowest.

If you work in one of these facilities do you agree with these statistics.
I am in the process of creating a survey for this project. I am seeking individuals who work in the industry private, spa or otherwise. Would you be willing to fill out a survey for the purpose of research and for the improvement of our industry?
If so, please provide me with your email address (you can email me at massageproce@gmail.com) and I will get you a survey soon. It can be anonymous if preferred.

Thanking you in advance, Gloria
I completed a fast track in 6 months, 700-hour program and took additional electives beyond the program in Lakewood, Colorado (certified December 2007). I had a Bachelor of Science in Biology and been a volunteer ski patroller for ten years (outdoor emergency care includes anatomy and physiology). For me the very best choice, full-time school and then onto full-time practice.

Lisa said:6 months for schooling? where? my schooling was about a year and a half!
Thanks Laura!

From all the feedback I am receiving here and elsewhere I am seeing a trend, that after all is said and done the average
hourly rate is probably about $ 35/hr. Many of us in private practice seem to be keeping our rates lower than maybe we did at one time and as you said ,offering the same fee for any treatment.

I am still waiting to compile the spa industry vs. private practice.
Thanks to those that have been contributing feedback.
I've added a couple more questions I am seeking answers to for this survey.

Your continued feedback and collaboration is important and appreciated.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service