massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

Good afternoon everyone, My name is Johnathan I reside in Houston, Tx. by way of Philadelphia, Pa.

I decided about 2 years ago to look into massage Therapy. I did it as a means of learning something new, and to sub my income. I do ok in my regular career, but in these times, you gotta have something to fall back on. Im 42, w/4 beautiful children. 

I wanted to know if anyone has had issues with clientele that are anti-men! I know some men just cant wrap their minds around a man touching them. But what about woman as well. Has it been difficult to stay busy with all the issues of being men in the female dominated industry?

I met a LMT about 2 weeks ago at a massage supply store in houston. He said he does mainly chair massage. Anyone having these issues?

Views: 819

Replies to This Discussion

Majority of my clients are men. I too believed before school that I would struggle with clientele, etc. Working on a man for me at first was a little awkward but once you break that barrier it becomes a wonderful thing. We as men need the touch and care as well as the females. 

Because men understand this and are more health conscious they seem to get regular massage(at least my clients do).  I do outcalls only and get most of my clients at hotels, or out of town people. Some I grab on Craigslist, etc.

My website is www.massagebyjohn.com if you ever want to contact me. I can tell you step by step how to make this work for you since we are outnumbered by the female therapist. :) Have a great day and please don't give up!

I have found working in the right environment can be the difference between thriving and just plain existing. I spent the first 4 years of my career just existing to the point that I almost gave up. Fate played a hand and by luck I landed a job with a chiropractor in a rural community. That boosted my work, my knowledge, and my confidence. I believe the medical setting provided me with more acceptance by a wide range of clients that normally would have done "oh, do you have any female therapists available?"

Being a 40 something, somewhat overweight male, spas would not consider me for hire. They know that roughly 70% of the available massage prospects would prefer a female therapist for various reasons. Spas will typically have one to two males on staff with the rest of their staff female. The females will stay 100% booked where the males will still have openings through the day. Right or wrong, that is how our industry is. A male therapist will have to be twice as smart, work twice as hard, and be totally committed and tenacious in their career to make half as much as their female counterparts.

This led me to specialize in medical/therapeutic massage. Another good area to specialize in for males is sports massage. Male therapists seem to adapt better in those environments and be more accepted by clients/patients. That does not mean men can not specialize in spa type therapies, it just means they will have a much greater challenge finding clientele.

I agree with the other respondents, the right marketing and consistent networking is key to growing a successful business. The best way to develop clientele is by hand shaking and personal presentation.   

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service