massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

There are several myths of massage that seem to be passed down through generations of massage therapy teachers. I am going to list a few of my favourites, and hope you will add yours.I'm sure there are lots more. Let's dispell the myths and teach fact-based massage therapy!

1. Massage releases lactic acid from the muscles
2. We cannot treat clients with cancer as massage will spread the cancer through the body
3. A crooked spine (scoliosis) can be straightened by doing tapotement on the "weak" side of the spine and relaxing massage on the "tight" side of the spine
4. We cannot do manual lymph drainage and effleurage in one treatment as the lymph nodes will shut down and the client's legs and arms will swell up

Views: 1628

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think that many of these MYTHS are fear based. MTs are paranoid about doing something that could possibly cause a miscarriage. Or even if the woman has a spontaneous miscarriage, they are afraid they might be blamed for it. I supposed it's possible that somewhere, at some time, a woman had a miscarriage after having a massage (and probably it had nothing to do with the massage) - out of that experience arose this fear of being blamed for a miscarriage. But women work, clean their houses, do sports, do yardwork, and generally live normal lives throughout their pregnancies, so I see no reason why they cannot have massage.
Yes, all my pregnant patients survived my massages and so did their babies.

Laura Allen said:
Even amongst themselves they disagree--I know reflexology teachers/practitioners from different camps---some say avoid putting any pressure on the medial malleolus until near the end of the pregnancy because it is a uterine point and that stimulating it could cause a miscarriage....others say it doesn't matter.

I had never heard that tale about no massage in the first trimester until just a few weeks ago when another therapist mentioned it. That wasn't taught in my school. I was amazed to hear such a thing. As far as I know, all the pregnant women (and their babies) I've massaged in the past decade survived without incident.

lee kalpin said:
There are also numerous myths about treating pregnant women with massage. One is that you shouldn't give a pregnant woman massage during the first trimester. Silly, because most women don't even know they are pregnant until they are at least 2 months pregnant, or maybe 3 months. So if they are regular massage clients, they have had a lot of massage by then. Anyone know any other pregnancy massage myths?
That's too bad! Women can benefit so much from massge during pregnancy. I guess the only remedy is to find good research sites or good quotes from reputable text books and copy passages into your brochures and literature. Must educate the public. And that includes educating other therapists who keep perpetuating the myths

Rick Morgan said:
Hi Lee,
We at the American Pregnancy Massage Association are driving hard to dispel those myths. They are so ingrained into the public it is hard to change. People have been teaching that particular myth so long that the general public thinks it's true.

lee kalpin said:
There are also numerous myths about treating pregnant women with massage. One is that you shouldn't give a pregnant woman massage during the first trimester. Silly, because most women don't even know they are pregnant until they are at least 2 months pregnant, or maybe 3 months. So if they are regular massage clients, they have had a lot of massage by then. Anyone know any other pregnancy massage myths?
Hello Laura,
I just found this discussion and do have a comment regarding Paul Ingrahm's article. While some of his contentions have ample evidence to support his conclusions, some of them are just plain not evidenced based unless you pick and choose from studies then use the fallacious logic of 'hasty conclusion, or jump from a specific to a general conclusion.

His quote which is opinion and not evidenced based as he claims his article to be;
"But perhaps the most under-reported problem with stretching is so straightforward — so practical and mechanical and logical in nature — that there can really be no controversy, no debate. To observe it is to know it. Not everything has to be established by a scientific study! Some things are just a matter of logic. Once it’s pointed out, you can’t go back — it will be forever obvious that a lot of important muscles simply can’t be stretched. I call them “the unstretchables.”

Based on his above statement of "To observe is to know" I can say that stretching properly using what is commonly referred to as "AIS" stretching/strengthening resulted in my not ever cramping at athletic endeavors. Not doing so often did result in cramping. Particularly hamstrings.

I have read recent evidenced based studies on 'stretching' and the conclusions derived from the studies. The problem is the studies used specific 'stretching' methods which were based on joint movement and sustained stretching. His 'myth buster' conclusions seem to assume that there is only one method of stretching or that the results of one method were conclusive for any method.

He also neglected to link or reveal the specific studies he referred to.

There are other methods of 'lengthening' muscles which do not require joints to be manipulated past their anatomic barrier. Furthermore, due to increased tension within the muscle and fascial components there are physiological barriers to range of motion which can be relieved by lengthening the specific components causing the restriction. Of course the tibialis anterior cannot be 'stretched' past it's natural state, but a contracted tibialis anterior can be lengthened without manipulating the ankle past the anatomical barrier, contrary to what he says in one of his 'myth buster' articles which goes on to assume trigger point therapy is the only valid treatment.

While he offers some good opinions, like the myth that 'tapotement' will correct scoliosis, his 'outspoken' (to quote him) beliefs are sometimes hasty and lack conclusive support.

I do not think he deserves hate mail, but I could not recommend his article and am of the opinion that he should scrutinize his articles and carefully (re) consider some of his many contentions in light of the fact he claims they are all evidence based and scientifically valid.

Oh, and I couldn't care a whit about the epsom salt. It's reasonably safe to conclude it's harmless either way.

Laura Allen said:
Another one is about Epsom salts baths relieving soreness after a massage. Paul Ingraham has posted an article on his website about that one and a number of other myths. He said he actually got a lot of hate mail about it. He didn't realize people would get so whacked out over something as ordinary as Epsom salts.
Good point, Bert. Paul is on this site although he is not in this particular discussion. I'm going to invite him to jump in!

Bert Davich said:
Hello Laura,
I just found this discussion and do have a comment regarding Paul Ingrahm's article. While some of his contentions have ample evidence to support his conclusions, some of them are just plain not evidenced based unless you pick and choose from studies then use the fallacious logic of 'hasty conclusion, or jump from a specific to a general conclusion.

His quote which is opinion and not evidenced based as he claims his article to be;
"But perhaps the most under-reported problem with stretching is so straightforward — so practical and mechanical and logical in nature — that there can really be no controversy, no debate. To observe it is to know it. Not everything has to be established by a scientific study! Some things are just a matter of logic. Once it’s pointed out, you can’t go back — it will be forever obvious that a lot of important muscles simply can’t be stretched. I call them “the unstretchables.”

Based on his above statement of "To observe is to know" I can say that stretching properly using what is commonly referred to as "AIS" stretching/strengthening resulted in my not ever cramping at athletic endeavors. Not doing so often did result in cramping. Particularly hamstrings.

I have read recent evidenced based studies on 'stretching' and the conclusions derived from the studies. The problem is the studies used specific 'stretching' methods which were based on joint movement and sustained stretching. His 'myth buster' conclusions seem to assume that there is only one method of stretching or that the results of one method were conclusive for any method.

There are other methods of 'lengthening' muscles which do not require joints to be manipulated past their anatomic barrier. Furthermore, due to increased tension within the muscle and fascial components there are physiological barriers to range of motion which can be relieved by lengthening the specific components causing the restriction. Of course the tibialis anterior cannot be 'stretched' past it's natural state, but a contracted tibialis anterior can be lengthened without manipulating the ankle past the anatomical barrier, contrary to what he says in one of his 'myth buster' articles which goes on to assume trigger point therapy is the only valid treatment.

While he offers some good opinions, like the myth that 'tapotement' will correct scoliosis, his 'outspoken' (to quote him) beliefs are sometimes hasty and lack conclusive support.

I do not think he deserves hate mail, but I could not recommend his article and am of the opinion that he should scrutinize his articles and carefully (re) consider some of his many contentions in light of the fact he claims they are all evidence based and scientifically valid.

Oh, and I couldn't care a whit about the epsom salt. It's reasonably safe to conclude it's harmless either way.

Laura Allen said:
Another one is about Epsom salts baths relieving soreness after a massage. Paul Ingraham has posted an article on his website about that one and a number of other myths. He said he actually got a lot of hate mail about it. He didn't realize people would get so whacked out over something as ordinary as Epsom salts.
What are the facts?
Hi Lee thanks for starting these discussions.

Rajam maybe we need to adopt what Tom is saying as a mantra ?
"Can you show me why I failed this patient" is a much more interesting question than "Can you confirm my prejudice about why I am succeeding with these patients."
and have it only 2nd to "as therapists we should first seek to do no harm" I think it was Henry Otis Kendall who first said that.

steve
"First do no harm" is actually adapted from the Hippocratic Oath, which said in the original form "abstain from doing harm."

Stephen Jeffrey said:
Hi Lee thanks for starting these discussions.

Rajam maybe we need to adopt what Tom is saying as a mantra ?
"Can you show me why I failed this patient" is a much more interesting question than "Can you confirm my prejudice about why I am succeeding with these patients."
and have it only 2nd to "as therapists we should first seek to do no harm" I think it was Henry Otis Kendall who first said that.

steve
Just a brief note: While I concur with Paul that Epsom Salts is not a medical miracle, I have no issue with therapists recommending it to their clients. As far as I know it is harmless, and it is relaxing for clients to take a hot bath after treatment. I do agree that we should not make miracle claims for its efficacy.

Bert Davich said:
Hello Laura,

Laura Allen said:
I am particularly interested in the myth about scoliosis treatment. I have scoliosis (adolescent idiopathic scoliosis) with a 50 degree lumbar curve and compensating curves. I have treated many, many clients with spinal curvatures, and I follow the literature carefully. It has aggravated me to find that very recently massage teachers were STILL teaching a treatment of performing tapotement on the "stretched" side of the curve and stretching techniques on the "tight" side of the curve. Don't know if that teaching is particular to the area where I live and teach, or if it is a generally taught treatment.

There were studies done on this decades ago and Sick Children's Hospital in Toronto (and probably other places as well) which proved that the idea was absolutely false. Even without studies, we know you cannot STRENGTHEN with tapotement. You can briefly stimulate, but to strengthen, a muscle must do active weight-bering exercise

A new brace has been developed called the Spine-Cor, that is actually achieving results for children and adolescents, and I am recommending it for children with a developing curve. It would be irresponsible to perform a useless treatment when a legitimate treatment is available.

Bert Davich said:
Hello Laura,

Laura Allen said:
Hello lee,
I would be grateful if you would be willing to share any approaches and techniques that you have used with success for clients with scoliosis.

I have had some success in giving symptomatic relief using Structural Integration methods. Most clients I see are in their late 30's or older. The below link to Eric Dalton's website has an article he wrote on the subject that describes what I have used with good results. When you arrive at the link page, download the .pdf article "Symptomatic Scoliosis". I would love to hear your opinion as well as anything else you would share on the subject.
Hi Bert
I was unable to find the link to the article you mentioned, and I would very much like to read it.
Most of the clients I treat are adults - I have one child client at present.
From my own experience with scoliosis, as well as the many people I have treated, I can give you the following input.

I don't believe we can change a structural scoliosis (one where bony changes have taken place). We can be effective on three levels.
1. Symptomatic relief. Using myofascial release, trigger point release, deep petrissage, and all techniques that we have at our disposal for relief of muscular back pain. Most of the pain from scoliosis results from the muscles being pulled in unnatural directions, and from the client having to work/ use their muscles with these unnatural imbalances. So all techniques that relieve muscle pain are helpful.

2. Therapeutic exercise> The goal is for the client to maintain mobility and strength of the back - in all directions and in all ranges. We want the client to be able to maintain normal function, or as close to normal as is possible for them. I have had clientscome to me with dire predictions from their doctors,(that they would soon be confined to a wheelchair). We need to reassure the client they they can live a normal life, always. Active range of motion exercises in all directions, in all ranges. Stretching to lengthen shortened muscles. Strengthening exercises to build up any muscles that have become weak. Strengthening core muscles (abdominals) to support the back.
And general encouragement that they can live normally. They may never be completely pain free, but they can have function

3. Emotional support.
In most cases of adult scoliosis, the curvature will not progress very much. I find I have more rotation of the spine as the years go by. Arthritis is likely to set in earlier than it might in a person with a straight spine. The therapist can provide emotional support and encouragement. The client should be encouraged to maintain as normal a llifestyle as possible, but also helped to modify their lifestyle in ways that are necessary to avoid excessive pain.

The person will scoliosis will probably never be pain - free. Our goal is to maintain FUNCTION as well as possible for that person.
None of this is rocket-science. It is really what we do for most of our clients.
I hope some of these comments might be useful to you.
Lee
Hi lee,
My apology, I forgot to include the link to the page. Here it is:

http://erikdalton.com/articles.htm

You will find the "Symptomatic Scoliosis" article under Pain Management Technique Articles Massage & Bodywork Magazine. The techniques in this article have also been effective for clients that do not have scoliosis, but have tension on one side of the vertebral column due to a strain or repetitive strain injury causing a slight spinal curve due to postural compensations to deal with the pain/discomfort.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service