massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

We need some input for our Round the Table column in the next issue of Massage & Bodywork magazine. Reply with your answers and you just might see it printed in the next issue!

The question this time is:

As a massage therapist, what are some of your professional pet peeves? 

Views: 5980

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am fresh out of school.  And have just started working.  That is my pet peeve too!  I can't "feel" everything! If I ask you where it hurts don't tell me "oh, you'll be able to tell."  Just point to were it hurts!  

Gordon J. Wallis said:

Its a mild pet peeve.  Never the less, it bothers me when I hear it.  And I hear it often enough... Its when I get a new client that tells me that their back hurts.. When I ask them to point out exactly where... They just say.  " Well you'll feel it." 

Well, Ive been a therapist for 27 years... I don't feel anything either...I communicate well with my clients.. And achieve very good clinical results when someone comes into see me with a pain issue... I always hear therapists saying that they feel it...Ive given that a very good test.. I have actually gone to massage therapists with fake injuries..  I would pretend that my left shoulder hurts.. And guess what.. The can feel it.  Ive also gone into chiropractic offices with a fake shoulder injury...And they have shown it too me on xrays...There maybe people that feel things, and can offer better therapies because of it.. But I cant..  Its like if someone has a trigger point that's in one of the deeper tissues of the body... or its very small..Its just much easier to find it though communication with your client.. Now to qualify what I say.. I can feel trigger points via their local twitch response  and so on ,if its big enough and on the surface layers.. I'm sure other therapists will say they can feel problem areas.. not saying they cant... But I don't need to feel it to be an effective therapist.. gosh I just helped a client in a good way today that came in with a shoulder problem.. After I instructed her, she helped me pin point the specific areas..... She was a new client that complained of left shoulder pain that went up her neck to the point that was becoming disabling.  I did my trigger point scan. And found a really sore trigger point in her right rhomboids. One in her right upper trap... And two big really sore trigger points in her left spinal erectors. One at T2 and another T3 level...and an additional upper trap Trigger point on the left trap...I eliminated all of those in about 20 seconds each.. And she left pain free.. She was so happy.. I will recheck her on Sunday.. But the point is .. she helped me find them.. Other wise I wouldn't of felt them on my own.  That's my reality on the subject...But I don't want to argue with anyone about it.  And not denying the possibility.  If they can feel things.. that's good... That means I still have a lot to learn.  And I will be an even a better therapist someday.  I feel good though.. I really helped that lady...She took a bunch of my cards.

Mine is the massage therapists who continue to fill the minds of the public with false statements about massage and "removing toxins."

Happy Saturday,

I'm chiming in for a third time, this is great!  Every time I read the new entries, I come up with another one.

My last,hopefully, pet peeve is with other MTs who come in for work. Many times I've been frustrated by someone who cancels at the last minute  and refuses to pay for the appointment because they work in a spa or they can't handle the issue of no shows/late cancellations. I have had many MTs ask for a discount, yet they are less than respectful of other therapists' time.

jh

As I'm sure the laws may vary state to state, isnt there some sort of law enforcement that can be done?? You MUST be licensed to touch people, correct?? I'm sorry they are taking your business...It's unjust but stay positive and continue doing the right thing.

Maria C Slawkawski said:

One thing that drives me absolutely nuts about this profession is the amount of unlicensed people there are.  In NY state they are changing the continuing education requirements and fees but they refuse to do anything about the people practicing without licenses.  It makes me so crazy when people come into my office and say, "I tried the healthy feet place around the corner.  You know, their prices are half that of yours and they are always so busy in there."  As if to say that I don't work hard for every penny I charge.  I charge fair prices and these people are throwing it in my face that they are getting a cheaper massage.  It's even worse when I politely mention that I don't believe they are licensed and they say, "yeah I didn't think they were."  

Hi, Laura...I'm still in school. And I'm concerned with your pet peeve. From what I've discovered during my studies, massage will indeed assist with the removal of said toxins. As you increse the blood flow and oxygen in the blood and around muscles, youre allowing the fibers to relax and breathe better whilst these toxins leave the body through sweat and urination. Is this true?

Laura Allen said:

Mine is the massage therapists who continue to fill the minds of the public with false statements about massage and "removing toxins."

That toxin thing never goes away?

Laura Allen said:

Many massage therapists speak of "toxins" and "Metabolic Waste" as the same thing.  They are not.  My view is that massage does indeed assist the body in removing metabolic waste from the body.  I also think it will assist in the removal of toxins if  you have any in your body.  Massage will stir up the circulation in the blood and the intersticial fluid.  For example if you are working on the Senior population you need to be very aware of what medications they are on (really that is true for anyone you work on, but especially for seniors) because of the lack of circulation and general movement of many seniors the medications they take can accumulate in thier tissues and a massage can flood the system with the drug.  We recommend that clients drink lots of water before and after massage so that they stay hydrated to assist in flushing out what we stir up.  IMO there is another thing that massage often stirs up and that is "issues in the tissues" that are emotional issues.  As an Energist I do indeed feel where those issues are and work to relieve them through the flushing of Qi.

Gordon J. Wallis said:

Laura Allen said:

Attachments:

Thank you! that definitely helps clear up the confusion I was having.

Litahni said:

Many massage therapists speak of "toxins" and "Metabolic Waste" as the same thing.  They are not.  My view is that massage does indeed assist the body in removing metabolic waste from the body.  I also think it will assist in the removal of toxins if  you have any in your body.  Massage will stir up the circulation in the blood and the intersticial fluid.  For example if you are working on the Senior population you need to be very aware of what medications they are on (really that is true for anyone you work on, but especially for seniors) because of the lack of circulation and general movement of many seniors the medications they take can accumulate in thier tissues and a massage can flood the system with the drug.  We recommend that clients drink lots of water before and after massage so that they stay hydrated to assist in flushing out what we stir up.  IMO there is another thing that massage often stirs up and that is "issues in the tissues" that are emotional issues.  As an Energist I do indeed feel where those issues are and work to relieve them through the flushing of Qi.

Gordon J. Wallis said:

Laura Allen said:

I do lymphatic and visceral massage often. Immediately after or even during massage sessions clients need to urinate and/or defecate. And you mean it didn't move any waste? During lymphatic massage you usually see tissue drop or flatten against muscles and bone and color improve. So that is not letting fluids shift and drain? Ok so relaxation can produce a nerve release to urinate and the sphincters also relax, but come on where is the evidence that no drainage is improved with lymphatic massage?

Gordon J. Wallis said:

Laura Allen said:

Maybe its just the wrong word?...Toxins implies something like maybe Rattle Snake venom or something.  But it doesn't really matter in a way.. Results are what counts.. And massage works...I might add, better then a lot of other health care providers can offer...

Daniel Cohen said:

I do lymphatic and visceral massage often. Immediately after or even during massage sessions clients need to urinate and/or defecate. And you mean it didn't move any waste? During lymphatic massage you usually see tissue drop or flatten against muscles and bone and color improve. So that is not letting fluids shift and drain? Ok so relaxation can produce a nerve release to urinate and the sphincters also relax, but come on where is the evidence that no drainage is improved with lymphatic massage?

Gordon J. Wallis said:

Laura Allen said:

It is the wrong word. As I state in the video, if you have been bitten by a rattlesnake, you have toxins. Metabolic waste is not the same thing as a toxin. That word is thrown around like a basketball.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service