massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

We need some input for our Round the Table column in the next issue of Massage & Bodywork magazine. Reply with your answers and you just might see it printed in the next issue!

The question this time is:

As a massage therapist, what are some of your professional pet peeves? 

Views: 5980

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Abram.

I am disliking the fact that many of practitioners practicing vigorous, traumatizing pressure and calling it deep tissue massage therapy. Inflicting trauma is a opposite of therapy and we cannot afford it within our society.

Best wishes.

Boris

One of my biggest pet peeves is co-worker MT's that have lost there love for being a care giver. Or those that never had a love for it in the first place.  Example: Many therapists care more about turnover than quality of service.  They will purposefully cut out massage time in order to have more clients in a day as opposed to allowing 15 minutes in between appointments for resetting the room.  This is a service oriented field and I for one would prefer to have a proper consultation and keep the energy in the room relaxed and positive.  That's why I finally opened my own practice.

Sad but you find it in all services including teaching.

Kimberly Schadewald said:

One of my biggest pet peeves is co-worker MT's that have lost there love for being a care giver. Or those that never had a love for it in the first place.  Example: Many therapists care more about turnover than quality of service.  They will purposefully cut out massage time in order to have more clients in a day as opposed to allowing 15 minutes in between appointments for resetting the room.  This is a service oriented field and I for one would prefer to have a proper consultation and keep the energy in the room relaxed and positive.  That's why I finally opened my own practice.

I'm a student for a few more months, and not permitted to accept any gratuity, so this isn't an issue for me yet.  However, a practicing MT friend of mine remarked that some clients leave it on the table because they are not quite sure of the protocol about tipping.  I mean, in a restaurant, most tips are either included in the credit card payment, or cash is left on the table.  Perhaps they fear that they will insult you by offering anything at all...or maybe they're embarrassed because they can't afford to leave as much as they think you deserve.

Christine Vander Bloomen said:

I extremely dislike it when someone leaves a tip on the massage table instead of giving it to me in person.

Jeff, with great respect for our CEU providers, I agree with you.  How many recognized modalities are there now?--there must be hundreds.  And this phenomenon isn't restricted to massage therapy & bodywork; many chiropractors are promoting their own "secret" brands of bodywork.  Frankly, it is...confusing. 

Jeff Baldwin said:

Professionally, I have one pet peeve that has become prevalent in the last few years; the idea of having multiple names for nearly identical modalities. 

It seems an ever-growing number of therapists or allied health providers are creating their own modality or technique based on an what they claim to be of their own development and then pawn it off as the latest and most effective technique in the industry.  I don't know how others out there will react to this, but I am growing increasingly tired of investigating continuing education in advanced bodywork modalities only to find that the newest, most innovative technique is no different to the last newest, most innovative technique that I learned a year ago. 

How many times can we honestly do this?  Therapeutic Massage, Clinical Massage, Medical Massage, Orthopedic Massage, Remedial Massage, Rehabilitative Massage... it goes on and on and on and without much difference between them.  Isn't "Medical" also "Clinical"?  Isn't "Remedial" also "Orthopedic"?  Isn't "Injury" also "Rehabilitative"?  Can't one of those titles encompase them all?  Aren't all of them "Therapeutic"?

I personally would like to see this industry somehow come to an agreement on one name that describes a generalized, yet specific enough, approach of manual therapy that treats injury and dysfunction of soft tissues?

I think it would benefit all of us greatly if we can bring an end to the continuous relabeling of modalities and create common names and definitions for the work we do and then allow personal variation and adaptation to occur by the practitioner.

Massage is like the Martial Arts... There are all these different styles and similar styles with different names and approaches.. They all work according to their rules... However, if someone grabs you.. You better know how deal with that.... and if he tackles you to the ground.. You better know how to deal with that....If your attacker is trying to kick you... You better know how to deal with that...After a while..styles and names don't mean much. Not for me so much anyway..I just massage people according to the situation as best I can...If they are burnt out or injured.    Or if its a birthday present... I massage them.  Its interesting work for sure... lol

Gary W Addis said:

Jeff, with great respect for our CEU providers, I agree with you.  How many recognized modalities are there now?--there must be hundreds.  And this phenomenon isn't restricted to massage therapy & bodywork; many chirpopractors are promoting their own "secret" brands of bodywork.  Frankly, it is...confusing. 

Jeff Baldwin said:

Professionally, I have one pet peeve that has become prevalent in the last few years; the idea of having multiple names for nearly identical modalities. 

It seems an ever-growing number of therapists or allied health providers are creating their own modality or technique based on an what they claim to be of their own development and then pawn it off as the latest and most effective technique in the industry.  I don't know how others out there will react to this, but I am growing increasingly tired of investigating continuing education in advanced bodywork modalities only to find that the newest, most innovative technique is no different to the last newest, most innovative technique that I learned a year ago. 

How many times can we honestly do this?  Therapeutic Massage, Clinical Massage, Medical Massage, Orthopedic Massage, Remedial Massage, Rehabilitative Massage... it goes on and on and on and without much difference between them.  Isn't "Medical" also "Clinical"?  Isn't "Remedial" also "Orthopedic"?  Isn't "Injury" also "Rehabilitative"?  Can't one of those titles encompase them all?  Aren't all of them "Therapeutic"?

I personally would like to see this industry somehow come to an agreement on one name that describes a generalized, yet specific enough, approach of manual therapy that treats injury and dysfunction of soft tissues?

I think it would benefit all of us greatly if we can bring an end to the continuous relabeling of modalities and create common names and definitions for the work we do and then allow personal variation and adaptation to occur by the practitioner.

Jeff we already have a term. It is massage but in this label hungry world we continue to seek to qualify and identify ourselves to differentiate where there is no need but self gratification and profits. The numbers will grow just like the needless identification and subdivisions of illness. It is a modern sickness that we think identification is the cure. In massage it is thought to somehow justify us. Rather than seeking to remold ourselves into a medical mold, we should be presenting ourselves as the alternative for general health maintenance and let insurance companies come to us rather than seeking physician referral to the insurance companies.

Jeff Baldwin said:

I do bodywork. If you have a body and something isn't right with it, let's try to bring it back to its right state together. Every person is different and approach can be different but by softening, relaxing, and bringing it back to harmony within and without the body finds its way.

Gordon J. Wallis said:

Massage is like the Martial Arts... There are all these different styles and similar styles with different names and approaches.. They all work according to their rules... However, if someone grabs you.. You better know how deal with that.... and if he tackles you to the ground.. You better know how to deal with that....If your attacker is trying to kick you... You better know how to deal with that...After a while..styles and names don't mean much. Not for me so much anyway..I just massage people according to the situation as best I can...If they are burnt out or injured.    Or if its a birthday present... I massage them.  Its interesting work for sure... lol

Gary W Addis said:

Jeff, with great respect for our CEU providers, I agree with you.  How many recognized modalities are there now?--there must be hundreds.  And this phenomenon isn't restricted to massage therapy & bodywork; many chirpopractors are promoting their own "secret" brands of bodywork.  Frankly, it is...confusing. 

Jeff Baldwin said:

Yea, Bodywork... I like that term.

Daniel Cohen said:

I do bodywork. If you have a body and something isn't right with it, let's try to bring it back to its right state together. Every person is different and approach can be different but by softening, relaxing, and bringing it back to harmony within and without the body finds its way.

Gordon J. Wallis said:

Gary W Addis said:

Jeff Baldwin said:

Hi Jeff.

I am glad you agree with me. I believe that more we will discuss issue of non-therapeutic vigorous pressure, less people will practice it.

Best wishes.

Boris

Jeff Baldwin said:

Well Spoken, Mr. Prilutsky.  Agreed!

Boris Prilutsky said:

Hi Abram.

I am disliking the fact that many of practitioners practicing vigorous, traumatizing pressure and calling it deep tissue massage therapy. Inflicting trauma is a opposite of therapy and we cannot afford it within our society.

Best wishes.

Boris

Hi Jeff.

I'm sorry, missed and couldn't find Laura’s post about massage and detoxification,therefore will use your post.  To some degree massage therapy directly and not directly supporting much needed detoxification process. The main function of the lymphatic system is detoxification,

Somehow but not significant massage techniques accelerating process of lymphatic drainage , and of course it's a bit detoxifying human body. On the other hand, stress disturbing  lymph drainage process, and by managing stress  we contributing to detoxification, by reducing  one of the oppositions to lymph drainage. However we should be careful to claim that massage therapy is a powerful detoxification methodology. Very powerful  detoxification manual methodology is a lymph drainage techniques. The following link is to my article where I am offering not only explanation, but describing how to perform it. It is very easy.

http://medicalmassage-edu.com/ExtraArticles/LymphDetox.pdf

Best wishes.

Boris

Jeff Baldwin said:

You are my new favorite person!

Laura Allen said:

Mine is the massage therapists who continue to fill the minds of the public with false statements about massage and "removing toxins."

Hi Gordon.

Your comparisons of martial arts and massage therapy, maybe having some logical "bridge"(both about results), but it is difficult to agree with you on this comparisons. when fighters stepping in  cage and no matter what type they representing,

audience are very clear what  is it about.by offering 100s names of massage  therapy it is confusing. Confusion do not allow to recognize us and what is our profession about. If this hundreds name presentation would be beneficial, our industry in general wouldn't struggle today,I know you are successful, but I'm talking in general, many our people leaving industry for good.maybe this is not a main, but offering 100s of names contributing to downgrade of our  occupation.

Best wishes.

Boris

Gordon J. Wallis said:

Gary W Addis said:

Jeff Baldwin said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service