massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

We need some input for our Round the Table column in the next issue of Massage & Bodywork magazine. Reply with your answers and you just might see it printed in the next issue!

The question this time is:

As a massage therapist, what are some of your professional pet peeves? 

Views: 5980

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Linda, well said. 

Linda LePelley, RN, NMT said:

Daniel,

I have a lot of respect for your opinions and the work you do. However, I feel I must ask you to reconsider your apparent inclination to lump massage therapists in with prostitutes. It would make as much sense to say they (prostitutes) should be licensed under the same umbrella as nursing . For many decades nurses were looked upon as glorified prostitutes, and they had to struggle and demand they get the respect they earn and deserve.

As I understand from other discussions I’ve read here, there are still areas that regulate massage therapists as if they are no more than that, glorified prostitutes. While it may seem like a non-issue to some of us, others are struggling with society’s erroneous ideas about who we are and what we do. I have only had a few people over the years make comments that suggest they equate the two, and it can leave a person feeling demeaned. To deal with that on a regular basis would be very discouraging. Unless such attitudes and statements are refuted and rejected, ignorant people will continue to belittle our profession. How can we expect to be afforded the respect we have earned and deserve if we don't even have it for ourselves?

Unfortunately, Daniel, we as a nation are hypocritical about sex.  A designation of "erotic" applied to anything will get its practitioners labeled "prostitute".  For instance, although they have dancing skills that most women secretly wish they had, in the minds of the public, a woman who displays parts of her body onstage to strangers is no better than a street-walking hooker.  Doesn't matter whether or not that attitude is justified, it's the public perception.   

But, yes, I do agree with you that, if government will not/cannot enforce its laws, then they ought to establish and regulate erotic massage as a distinctly different enterprise, clearly not associated with massage therapy and bodywork.    Maybe make them put a large red flashing light above their door.

Daniel Cohen said:

Linda, I don't think what I suggest is lumping together. I want to have clear license separation. By licensing each and having legal scopes of practice fraudulent claims can be prosecuted and licenses suspended or removed. It answers the problems of clarification that many complain about.

Personally, I do what I do which would be straddling wellness and medical massage if they were separate licenses. And I don't see that I would change the way I work. But for those entering the profession perhaps wellness could provide a lower tier of education to counter the current trend towards ever spiraling upwards education for entry level.

The Nursing profession has gone this route with multiple levels of license and classification. As for the designation of Erotic Massage, I think something must be done to recognize the need and demand of it without forcing those that would do it into full prostitution. I don't like calling it sensual massage because I think that is currently legitimate wellness/spa massage. I think the subject needs to be open for discussion as ignoring it isn't stopping it or helping the massage profession or public safety.

And thank you for the compliment. I also respect and like reading your posts.

Daniel,

I have a lot of respect for your opinions and the work you do. However, I feel I must ask you to reconsider your apparent inclination to lump massage therapists in with prostitutes. It would make as much sense to say they (prostitutes) should be licensed under the same umbrella as nursing . For many decades nurses were looked upon as glorified prostitutes, and they had to struggle and demand they get the respect they earn and deserve.

As I understand from other discussions I’ve read here, there are still areas that regulate massage therapists as if they are no more than that, glorified prostitutes. While it may seem like a non-issue to some of us, others are struggling with society’s erroneous ideas about who we are and what we do. I have only had a few people over the years make comments that suggest they equate the two, and it can leave a person feeling demeaned. To deal with that on a regular basis would be very discouraging. Unless such attitudes and statements are refuted and rejected, ignorant people will continue to belittle our profession. How can we expect to be afforded the respect we have earned and deserve if we don't even have it for ourselves?

In my case, as a client I will typically request spot work.  I have had situations where I've made this known to the therapist while booking the appt by phone, reiterated this during intake and even went so far as to say "I do not want a full body relaxation massage."  Each time the MT acknowledged the request and assured me they could/would honor it and then proceeded to perform a full body Swedish massage.  

It's not about trying to micromanage the MT; it's about getting not just what you're asking for, but what you're PAYING for and if a full body Swedish gave the results that I was looking for, I would happy to receive that.

Daniel Cohen said:

Luckily for me, when I work another spot away from where they tell me to, the pain goes away. Then they say that is amazing. lol

But to say you work the glutes and then during the massage say you don't is fraud. How does one address low back, hip, or thigh problems without including the glutes?

I can relate to how irritating that would be! I received a gift certificate for massage a few years ago. When making the appointment I told the therapist that all I wanted her to work on were my shoulders and left arm, absolutely nothing else. She said it would be no problem. I reminded her of it at the beginning. Twenty minutes into the one hour massage she asks if I am sure there is no other area I'd like her to work. I told her no, just the arm and shoulders. She said OK, and left the room! I thought she must have had to go to the bathroom or needed to get more oil, but several minutes later she returned, looked confused, and asked me if I needed help getting off of the table. I told her I did not, I was sure my GC had been for a full hour. She told me she'd given me all of the massage I'd asked for, that I'd declined to receive the full massage! I was amazed that her mind was so inflexible that she would interpret a request to work on one area in that way!

Pete L Blanco II said:

In my case, as a client I will typically request spot work.  I have had situations where I've made this known to the therapist while booking the appt by phone, reiterated this during intake and even went so far as to say "I do not want a full body relaxation massage."  Each time the MT acknowledged the request and assured me they could/would honor it and then proceeded to perform a full body Swedish massage.  Frustrating!

One of the major complaints about a massage is .. The therapist asked me what I wanted.. I told him(her). And they didnt do it....A major complaint... Along with pressing to hard or not hard enough....I dont know what they teach in these schools now...?  Those are major complaints in any spa along with the therapist talking too much...If you want to be known as a great therapist.....forget all the myofacial release stuff... just keep your mouth shut..listen to what your client tells you...and make sure your pressure feels really freakin good....You think they would teach that?   Those are the BIGGEST most often complaints......

Pete L Blanco II said:

In my case, as a client I will typically request spot work.  I have had situations where I've made this known to the therapist while booking the appt by phone, reiterated this during intake and even went so far as to say "I do not want a full body relaxation massage."  Each time the MT acknowledged the request and assured me they could/would honor it and then proceeded to perform a full body Swedish massage.  

It's not about trying to micromanage the MT; it's about getting not just what you're asking for, but what you're PAYING for and if a full body Swedish gave the results that I was looking for, I would happy to receive that.

Daniel Cohen said:

Luckily for me, when I work another spot away from where they tell me to, the pain goes away. Then they say that is amazing. lol

But to say you work the glutes and then during the massage say you don't is fraud. How does one address low back, hip, or thigh problems without including the glutes?

LOL, I don't ask, just want to know if there are issues they want addressed. Then I take care of it and they are happy. With the return rate and referrals I must be doing something right. With KMT Techniques I can do a half hour full body that they often pay me the full one hour rate in appreciation. It is about confidence and how you impress the client.

Gordon J. Wallis said:

One of the major complaints about a massage is .. The therapist asked me what I wanted.. I told him(her). And they didnt do it....A major complaint... Along with pressing to hard or not hard enough....I dont know what they teach in these schools now...?  Those are major complaints in any spa along with the therapist talking too much...If you want to be known as a great therapist.....forget all the myofacial release stuff... just keep your mouth shut..listen to what your client tells you...and make sure your pressure feels really freakin good....You think they would teach that?   Those are the BIGGEST most often complaints......

Pete L Blanco II said:

Daniel Cohen said:

Funny,Gordon, but true.......keeping in touch with the basics!

Gordon J. Wallis said:

Pete L Blanco II said:

Daniel Cohen said:

Linda,

In fairness to her, it sounds as if she might have simply misunderstood what you were saying.  What I want to know is, what happened next?

I can relate to how irritating that would be! I received a gift certificate for massage a few years ago. When making the appointment I told the therapist that all I wanted her to work on were my shoulders and left arm, absolutely nothing else. She said it would be no problem. I reminded her of it at the beginning. Twenty minutes into the one hour massage she asks if I am sure there is no other area I'd like her to work. I told her no, just the arm and shoulders. She said OK, and left the room! I thought she must have had to go to the bathroom or needed to get more oil, but several minutes later she returned, looked confused, and asked me if I needed help getting off of the table. I told her I did not, I was sure my GC had been for a full hour. She told me she'd given me all of the massage I'd asked for, that I'd declined to receive the full massage! I was amazed that her mind was so inflexible that she would interpret a request to work on one area in that way!

Pete L Blanco II said:

In my case, as a client I will typically request spot work.  I have had situations where I've made this known to the therapist while booking the appt by phone, reiterated this during intake and even went so far as to say "I do not want a full body relaxation massage."  Each time the MT acknowledged the request and assured me they could/would honor it and then proceeded to perform a full body Swedish massage.  Frustrating!

I told her I'd expected to get the full hour that had been paid for. She explained to me that a full body massage was composed of body sections that have their own amount of time. She said a massage therapist can't spend too much time doing the same maneuvers because of the risk of injury. So, it is all right to spend 60 minutes doing different areas, but not 60 minutes on just 1 or 2 areas. It would have "overworked" my tissues, and injured her hands. It was a surprising perspective for me to consider. I told her that what I thought I'd communicated was that I wanted the full hour spent working on just the arm and shoulders, but she did not look at that as an option. Therefore, when she finished my arm and shoulders, she was done. So, what happened? I couldn't be angry, I was too genuinely surprised, I could almost say I was delightfully surprised, except for the part where I didn't get my massage, I didn't want a partial massage from someone who didn't want to do it, and I wanted to get away from the weird atmosphere that occurs when people know they have had an epic misunderstanding. I just said “OK, I see”, and left.

Lee Edelberg said:

Linda,

In fairness to her, it sounds as if she might have simply misunderstood what you were saying.  What I want to know is, what happened next?

Excuse me if you've talked about it here before, Daniel, but what are KMT Techniques? Are you using the same techniques as Gordon? You are right, address the issues the client wants you to, and you will keep them happy.
Daniel Cohen said:

LOL, I don't ask, just want to know if there are issues they want addressed. Then I take care of it and they are happy. With the return rate and referrals I must be doing something right. With KMT Techniques I can do a half hour full body that they often pay me the full one hour rate in appreciation. It is about confidence and how you impress the client.

Obviously an inexperienced therapist.  She did her routine for the requested areas by rote, then was...lost, wondering what the 'ell to do next.  Receiving no guidance, she assumed that she was through.  Guess she's never had to give a full hour of foot reflexology.  Miscommunication.

Lee Edelberg said:

Linda,

Pete L Blanco II said:

KMT (Korean Martial Therapy) is the main modality I do. Although I have blended a number I will do strictly Lymphatic or Lomi Lomi but normally I just respond as the feel leads me with many modalities to draw from. I rarely use more than a half ounce of oil except for Lomi Lomi. Korean Martial Therapy is a martial art in which I am 7th degree black belt. As a martial art it not only effectively uses pressure points and leverage but is extremely easy body mechanics for the therapist. It can be done clothed or unclothed and in any position on table, in chair, on ground allowing little restriction and making a great first response therapy or relief of chronic pain.

Excuse me if you've talked about it here before, Daniel, but what are KMT Techniques? Are you using the same techniques as Gordon? You are right, address the issues the client wants you to, and you will keep them happy.
Daniel Cohen said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service