massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

We need some input for our Round the Table column in the next issue of Massage & Bodywork magazine. Reply with your answers and you just might see it printed in the next issue!

The question this time is:

As a massage therapist, what are some of your professional pet peeves? 

Views: 5983

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I read comments the other day re: the usage of the term "medical massage."  I don't have the remarks in front of me so I'm paraphrasing, probably inaccurately, what the author believes, that the label "orthopedic massage" would more accurately apply to what we do.; if I understood her remarks correctly, she believes that allopathic practitioners are adamantly opposed to our adoption of the term "medical massage."  Can you define the terms?

Our profession surrendered the name "masseur" to the sex trade.  The name universally adopted by practitioners and regulatory bodies long ago is "massage therapy and bodywork."  Alas, "massage therapy" is also being exploited by purveyors of the sex-for-profit trade.  Attaching the word "medical" to "massage" would seem to provide us with a bit of shielding.  MDs, osteopaths and chiropractors are politically powerful and would raise hell if a shop providing happy endings under the guise of medical-whatever opened next door. 

So, can someone define the terms: orthopedic massage; medical massage--and while you're at it, define the differences in bodywork and massage?

Boris? Daniel? Gordon? anybody?

Boris Prilutsky said:

Hi Daniel.

I'm glad you agree.

am very  optimistic in the regards of our industry future,because I believe when it's coming to "be or not to be"humans  finding ways to succeed. body and mind  is one unit, and emotions only cannot lead us to success. Have a great day.

Boris

Daniel Cohen said:

Succinctly stated Boris, I agree with what you say. We often lose sight of direction because of emotion which has nothing to do with the objective.

Boris Prilutsky said:

Hi Noel. You have offered interesting information. When I have arrived to US,and first-time in my life have heart “Term” Massage parlor , the first question in my mind was , why massage have to be involved in prostitution ? Maybe I am naïve but this innocent question still crossing my mind as we speak .If this stigma exist today then having not much strong influence on our industry, and didn't bother Tornopolsky/Melov research team to conduct wonderful study, and to conclude:” massage therapy should be considered as a medical procedure”. In my opinion all dependent how each of us emotionally reacting on “Massage parlor”. Honestly, emotionally I'm not reacting at all, it just business not related to what I'm doing. When Los Angeles City used to permit me, as an adult entertainer, I was laughing. It was very funny. What was not funny at all, that we used to be limited to practice in different California cities , but thank God today we have state certification. If Massage parlor, including word massage, then let's call our treatment medical massage. In such a case one would have to be sick in his /her mind to confuse us with Massage parlor. Dear Sandra. My advice change your feelings about this stigma, you have nothing to do with it, why to react emotionally?
Best wishes.
Boris

If my above comments have appeared twice, I apologize--I somehow double posted when I attempted to edit

On someone's website I read a good response to that:

'When you're on my table your butt is not pretty, sexy, flabby, it is just a big muscle--and we massage therapists like muscle.'

Gordon J. Wallis said:

At one point in my career I was a single parent and not busy at all with my massage work...Every month I would go to the food stamp office...I remember one day, I had just finished my one and only massage of the day.. About ready to head out the door to the food stamp office.. When I heard two women talking.. " I heard that massage guy is really good.. Id go to him, but I don't want him to see my fat."  So thats another factor that does come into play at times.

Gary W Addis said:

Don't know about other areas, but here the concern is that women are self-conscious about their soft, swollen bellies.  They'd rather expose their privates than their flabby midsection.

Daniel Cohen said:

Lee, I wonder what school she went to and how many hours the course was. I also like ab work and would regard that as a terrible omission. But I have had new clients who filled in my intake form with "often" for massage frequency. Later they say "that was great, I have never had my stomach worked before". For some reason it is the most neglected area.

Lee Edelberg said:

Ah, I see, Linda......your original assessment was right :-)  Too bad! 

I bought a Groupon coupon for a massage last year from a young woman with a new practice.  When she asked me if there was anything in particular I wanted I asked her to include some abdominal work since in my experience it's not always a given in a full-body massage. She told me that she hadn't learned any ab work in school so she couldn't do it. And she didn't!

Gary. orthopedic massage  methodology combine special techniques for lymphedema size reductions, trigger point therapy, connective tissue massage which is fascia mobilization , muscular mobilization mainly by kneading/perissage techniques, hot and cold applications.

Gary W Addis said:

The schools are pressured for time.  My class was 750 hours stretched out to 18 months (for a diploma, 24 months for the AAS degree).  There's too much to learn in such a short time.  For that, $32,000 in student loans in addition to the Pell grant.  We worked out of some really first rate textbooks, but in most of the classes the instructors were forced to pick and choose what chapters to teach.  For instance, this qtr ended today: four modalities grouped together into a class labeled "special pops massage." Geriatric, Sports, Pregnancy, Reflexology, all crammed into 12 weeks, and this qtr, no clinic time--we worked on one another.  We did have to demonstrate proficiency with an outside client in the practical exam for each, but it was just the basic routine, which we had to learn by rote--do this, then do that--never vary or you'll forget where you are and fail the test.  Having said that, most of us did develop a modicum of proficiency in all four.

Daniel Cohen said:

Linda, glad to hear your story but sad that you weren't familiar with it out of massage school. Are we getting so concerned about teaching to pass written tests that we forget there is a body we must teach MTs to rub. I enjoy teaching deep lymphatic massage and seeing the amazement on student's faces as they discover this little explored major area of the body.

Linda LePelley, RN, NMT said:

LOL! I remember in my first year of practice, I was terrified of doing abdominal work!  It hadn't been done in school and I wasn't a nurse yet, so -- I was afraid I would rupture someone's organs!!  It wasn't until a client complaining of chronic constipation asked for a light "tummy rub" that I attempted it. I had my body charts out and was nervous and shaky, but as soon as I calmed down and checked with her on the pressure to use and location of discomfort, it was very easy to do and beneficial to her. I look back and see where a massage mentor would have been a big help. The young woman who massaged me needed a mentor, as well...

Lee Edelberg said:

Ah, I see, Linda......your original assessment was right :-)  Too bad! 

I bought a Groupon coupon for a massage last year from a young woman with a new practice.  When she asked me if there was anything in particular I wanted I asked her to include some abdominal work since in my experience it's not always a given in a full-body massage. She told me that she hadn't learned any ab work in school so she couldn't do it. And she didn't!

medical massage including full body stress management massage , abdominal/ visceral massage, as well clinically oriented postevent sports massage, to rehabilitate from   exercise stress  side effects.

Boris Prilutsky said:

medical massage including full body stress management massage , abdominal/ visceral massage, as well clinically oriented postevent sports massage, to rehabilitate from   exercise stress  side effects.

Medical massage name was proposed by founder of this method professor of medicine Sherback and lately when Drs, Glezar and Delicho published text book :” segment reflex medical massage” From the third addition the name was medical massage only. As you can see medical massage is not bogus word/name, but have science-based roots as well clinically proven long history. Massage therapy or medical massage having the same meaning:" one providing therapy by means of massage

best wishes.

Boris

thanks for the input. That's pretty much what I thought.  Haven't been taught lymph drainage except peripherally.  Plan to take it as a CEU later. 

From my perspective names and definitions don't mean very much...If they are coming in to see me because they hurt for example...I'm in a completely different mode then if they were coming in to see me because its their birthday...I change the massage accordingly...If they are coming because of shoulder pain for example or if they are burnt out because they are going through a divorce....I switch gears...  Doesn't matter the name.  Call it what you may...   I work without names......

http://www.mmpa.us/index.htm

Here is a website I found a while back..Maybe interesting for some.

Gordon J. Wallis said:

From my perspective names and definitions don't mean very much...If they are coming in to see me because they hurt for example...I'm in a completely different mode then if they were coming in to see me because its their birthday...I change the massage accordingly...If they are coming because of shoulder pain for example or if they are burnt out because they are going through a divorce....I switch gears...  Doesn't matter the name.  Call it what you may...   I work without names......

Hi Gordon .

In general I agree with you, and even when you talking on “different mode”and “I switch gears..” can feel what you are talking about. In regards “I work without names” I   disagree. You providing therapy by means of massage. I mean for example you described performing  Orthopedic massage, but to call it just massage therapy is is okay, .but it is wrong to offer 1000s, alternative names to massage therapy. This is confusing, and I strongly believe damaging to each of us. Another question, why to give alternative names to type of therapy, that one practicing, loving etc.?   I think that people seeking for some new names, because they ashamed to be massage therapist, and/or want to feel superior to others.

Please explain why people using alternative names? If you will succeed in explanation you will be first one. 10 years am asking this question no one can explain.

Have a blessed day.

Boris I mean

Gordon J. Wallis said:

A survey conducted in 2006 reported that 34% of Americans have had a massage in the last five years. Of those, 28% received the massage as a birthday gift; another 40% specifically to relieve pain.  Three out of ten?  I think that's only remotely true if you include 10-minute chair massages.  The same massagetoday article remarked that 10 years ago (in 1996) massage therapists were the butt of jokes because the public thought we were all prostitutes.  It's gotten better, the article says.  But will our reputation take a big punch in the mouth next week when the MT-as-prostitute series begins to air? Certainly not in the minds of those who know us. 

But what about the 50-70% of the population who have never experienced any kind of professional massage?  A significant proportion just can't afford our services.  Others are too self-conscious about what they perceive to be their physical faults, such as a flabby belly; some, both males and females, already fear being in a room partially disrobed with either male or female therapist. 

While I understand the reasoning of those who believe we should ignore the happy-endings parlors and the new MT-as-prostitute series, I respectfully disagree.  For, as every business person knows, word of mouth is the best form of advertising.  Names-- reputations-- are important

In my humble opinion, our membership organizations should speak out forcefully in defense of our profession.  It would not take much: Lifetime should insert a few lines at the bottom of its credits affirming that, with the exception of a tiny minority who are operating illegally, massage therapists and bodyworkers are honorable, ethical practitioners of the healthcare industry.  Can you imagine the outcry from the AMA if home nursing services were being portrayed as call girl rings?  Are nurses and doctors any more deserving of respect as professionals than we are?

Gordon J. Wallis said:

Very well said, Gary!

Gary W Addis said:

A survey conducted in 2006 reported that 34% of Americans have had a massage in the last five years. Of those, 28% received the massage as a birthday gift; another 40% specifically to relieve pain.  Three out of ten?  I think that's only remotely true if you include 10-minute chair massages.  The same massagetoday article remarked that 10 years ago (in 1996) massage therapists were the butt of jokes because the public thought we were all prostitutes.  It's gotten better, the article says.  But will our reputation take a big punch in the mouth next week when the MT-as-prostitute series begins to air? Certainly not in the minds of those who know us. 

But what about the 50-70% of the population who have never experienced any kind of professional massage?  A significant proportion just can't afford our services.  Others are too self-conscious about what they perceive to be their physical faults, such as a flabby belly; some, both males and females, already fear being in a room partially disrobed with either male or female therapist. 

While I understand the reasoning of those who believe we should ignore the happy-endings parlors and the new MT-as-prostitute series, I respectfully disagree.  For, as every business person knows, word of mouth is the best form of advertising.  Names-- reputations-- are important

In my humble opinion, our membership organizations should speak out forcefully in defense of our profession.  It would not take much: Lifetime should insert a few lines at the bottom of its credits affirming that, with the exception of a tiny minority who are operating illegally, massage therapists and bodyworkers are honorable, ethical practitioners of the healthcare industry.  Can you imagine the outcry from the AMA if home nursing services were being portrayed as call girl rings?  Are nurses and doctors any more deserving of respect as professionals than we are?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service