massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

ok...i don't mean to be super critical here, but i'm gonna state it. WHY is it that so many MT's sites are visually appauling?????? i am a graphic designer and have been working in marketing for years. as an MT i have searched and searched the web for various massage sites. sites by an individual MT to small practices, from spas to corporate america massage sites. i have come across only a handful that visually keep me on the page.

might i make a suggestion? less is more.

one of the biggest issues i see on sites is that they are crammed with content expecting the visitor to read through. some sites have one page that just scrolls on indefinitely. other sites have poor navigation/organization. and then some just throw anything and everything on the home page. once you do this you risk losing your visitor's attention.

i'm not advocating having only pretty pictures. but a well thought out photo with minimal content which motivates the visitor to take action by either going to another page, calling you or emailing you will do far better than putting everything on your site and hoping your visitor finds what he/she is looking for.

i'd love nothing more than to see our profession become a powerhouse in the medical industry. and as such we need to make the most of the web. but to do so we need to present ourselves professionally and that means polished and organized.

do a search for yourself. compare some medical websites to your own and then decide...is your website really presenting you in the best way possible.

(sorry if this offends any...it is not directed at any one)

let's use our safe haven here to share our sites (i'm working on getting mine up and running) and brainstorm with constructive feedback.

Views: 1393

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I often wonder how my site is perceived. I'm worried that the home page is starting to have too many menu items. I'd love to hear perceptions, feedback suggestions. I'm about to do a major update and could use the candid observations of other professionals. My website is www.cantonacupuncture.com.

(I am also a massage therapist but added acupuncture about 5 years ago.)
Lisa,

Thank you very much for your feedback! I love your ideas and have plans to incorporate some changes as you suggested. I am not sure what to use as a logo. My vision is a calming Japanese pond with lots of lush green foilage. I use that scene on my business cards that I got from VistaPrint.

Many Blessings and Merry Christmas.
Connie

Lisa said:
Hey Connie...

Visually i think your site works well. The couple of suggestions i would offer are this:

1. as i mentioned with Laura...one of the simplest things you can do for your business is have a logo. there are several places you can go online to create your own logo without having to spend too much money. i can't stress enough how important it is to have a logo that catches your eye while delivering your message. a logo can then be "branded" on everything from administrative collateral as well as promotional items. here's a site i've had friends use that seem to work well for them (http://www.logomaker.com/)

2. as much as your story is inspiring...i'm not sure if it is best suited for the home page. when i random person looking for an MT visits your site, they are going to want to know what you can do for THEM. the information you have about how you came to be an MT might be better under an additional tab of "A Little About Me" or something to that affect.

hope everyone doesn't think i'm being judgemental here. coming from a marketing/graphic background, i am only offering suggestions to help. and obviously if your site is working than FANTASTIC!!

Connie McKim said:
Hi Laura,

Your web site has given me ideas for my own site. Thanks. Check me out at www.ConniesRelaxingAndTherapeuticMassage.com, I'd love your feedback. I too built my own web site and just winged it by putting in information I would want to know. How do you go about putting the sponser on your site?

Have a great rest of the day,
Connie

Laura Allen said:
My website is www.thera-ssage.com

I built it myself, and no, I'm not a graphic designer of any kind. I've had a lot of compliments on it, and I think it is a good portrayal of who we are and what we do. After word of mouth, it's the thing that brings in the most business (I track those things). As for "less is more," putting all the pertinent information on mine and the ability for people to purchase gift certificates online has saved me thousands of hours on the telephone explaining things to people.

So I guess I can say while I've seen a lot of better jobs that were done by professionals costing thousands of dollars, I can't afford that.

I did visit another therapist's website a couple of days ago who had used a deep burgundy background and black font, and I couldn't read anything it said. It all blended in together. It needs to be easy for people to read, as you said.
Hmm....I wonder if a website review is still possible? I did post my site when this conversation was still active, but didn't see a response to it, and now I have my new site done--with the exception of adding new pics and breathing life into my homepage. I know it needs help!! I'd love the feedback if it's still available! http://www.rslmt.com Thanks!!
I too need feedback. I am redoing the site but the basic framework is now up, still tweeking wording and I will be adding pictures of the office soon. Any comments or advice are welcomed!

I love the template but have concerns about it. Sounds silly, but it makes me relax just to look at it. However, I am just beginning to transition into more injury and pain work and worry that it is too 'fufu' for that type of work.

FYI the disclaimer at the bottom is there because I live in a border town with a military base. It has eliminated "those calls" which were taking up way too much of my time. IF you feel that you need a similar disclaimer word of advice, make it an image. If you simply type in the words, you will show up under search results for those looking for other services.

There are some very nice sites and advice here, keep up the good work!

Hi guys !

I`m new to this site. Went through some topics and it seems really interesting to me. I`m aspiring massage therapist. Need your advise please , especially girls :) i do have an website www.londonrelaxingmassage.co.uk done by friend of mine . Doesnt look perfect at this very moment as he is not Webdesigner just passionate about something called Dreamweaver software, so website was build using this software. As mentioned it didnt cost me a penny , even though it does look bit amateurish i do get some response through my website, but this is when my problem starts!!! 80 % of people contacting me asking for some SENSUAL MASSAGE or OTHER WIERD THINGS!!! I`m sick of it! Could  you please let me know what would you change in website to avoid it??? or just give some advises as im being sick of it .:(

Thanks in advance

Gosia

Lisa, you make a point and I totally agree with you! I believe there is a serious lack of design (I mean web design) and MTs should understand that what seems appealing to them, might not be appealing to clients. Also, content is the key!

A client should not look too far in order to understand your strengths/bio, your schedule, pricing and how to contact you.

You can check the profiles we have so far on www.myHolisticServices.com. Of course, we don't pretend to be perfect, so feel free to come with critics and advice :)

Hi Gosia,

Sorry to hear you are getting an abundance of odd requests. I'm not an expert web designer or a Mr. Know-It-All, but I took a look at your website and would like to give you my perspective as a "guy".

- I noticed you have a lot of profile pictures, especially on the your main page. The way it comes across seems to suggest anything but massage therapy. Your a nice looking lady and I'm sure you are very professional, however the 80% you mentioned probably disregard the later and just take note of your pictures. Not trying to offend you, I'm just giving you my take from a male perseptive. We all know some men can be very 80%ish...

M perspective as a MT (I'm currently a student):

-You should keep just one or two profile pictures on your "About" page, I recommend the gallery show what you do and maybe your office/room/setting, which can be another link. You have one massage/spa picture on the bottom of your main page and some on the other pages. I'd post the massage/spa picture on your main page a little higher or have one more. That way you convey a clear massage: London Relaxing Massage = Professional Massage, right when someone visits your page.

By the way, I love your logo! It's very cool, modern and professional.

Hope that helps a little bit...

Gosia said:

Hi guys !

I`m new to this site. Went through some topics and it seems really interesting to me. I`m aspiring massage therapist. Need your advise please , especially girls :) i do have an website www.londonrelaxingmassage.co.uk done by friend of mine . Doesnt look perfect at this very moment as he is not Webdesigner just passionate about something called Dreamweaver software, so website was build using this software. As mentioned it didnt cost me a penny , even though it does look bit amateurish i do get some response through my website, but this is when my problem starts!!! 80 % of people contacting me asking for some SENSUAL MASSAGE or OTHER WIERD THINGS!!! I`m sick of it! Could  you please let me know what would you change in website to avoid it??? or just give some advises as im being sick of it .:(

Thanks in advance

Gosia

I agree with what Marcus said. The pictures of you seem a bit too provocative. Limit to one picture, no head tilt, no necklace draping around your chest, just a nice professional pic. Having multiple pics, and especially the one of you leaning against the massage table, definitely inclines the mind to think you offer "other" services, such as what you say you're getting tired of getting. Also, MAKE SURE of what metatags (page keywords) are being used to describe your website. Stay away from "masseuse" and use more professional lingo, whatever terms are used in the UK. Your website builder friend may not recognize the difference in what those terms mean to US as LMTs vs people looking for "other" services. There is a lot of good quality info on your page, but if people are not reading through and just going based off of visual-effect, the website doesn't portray you as being the professional therapist that you are and should definitely get worked on! Hope that helps!

Rachel 

www.rslmt.com

Gosia said:

Hi guys !

Thanks in advance

Gosia

Gosia, I agree with what the others said. The first thing people see on your site is a slideshow of multiple images of you, all looking like modeling images. That sends a very incorrect message to anybody visiting your website and even if they read the words, the slideshow outweighs all those words in their mind. Don't have a photo of yourself on the home page at all. It would be good to have a photo of yourself on the "about me" page, but just one photo, and use one that is toned WAY down compared to those ones -- especially, no low-cut top, no heavy makeup.

The other thing that jumped out at me, which will be contributing to people getting the wrong idea, is the wording in the first paragraph. I see this text changes too, but it would be a good idea to just set one paragraph of text instead of having it change all the time. Most people are not going to wait for the text to reload and change, so they won't even realize there are more paragraphs that will appear if they wait. And, unfortunately most of the things you have put in this text area do sound like "code words" for something else. "Complete and indulgent massage" is definitely not a good phrase to use. There is also one that just says "There seem to be different interpretations of what a relaxation massage is, depending on where you go for it." This is absolutely terrible (no offense) because most people are not going to wait for the text to reload and change - they are going to read it as code for you saying you do a different interpretation of relaxation massage. And, still another paragraph says "The clue to relaxation massage..." again implying that this is something you need to give your clients "clues" about.

I also suggest you take out the words "full body massage" from your website title because, like "complete" massage, that is very commonly used as code for illicit activities.

I am almost certain that the people who are contacting you with weird ideas are getting them from the combination of your slideshow and the text next to it. They will not be reading the rest of your site at all. It is absolutely essential that you change the images and wording at the top of the page because all the mistakes are coming from there.

Gosia said:

Hi guys !

Thanks in advance

Gosia

The company is Nirvana Massage CE National and the link is www.nirvanamassagecenational.com. Very excited about the CEU/home study courses offered and if you sign up with them, they will send you promotional courses periodically. All coursework is NCBTMB approved and is offered online. Get your renewal CEUs immediately. Print your COAs. Just that easy!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service