massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

Hello everyone I became an massage therapist over four years ago but yet to really work in the field but this year I decided to work as a independent contractor massage therapist. Main reason the spas in Miami/Fort Lauderdale want to pay me only $15 for 50 minutes and they charge the clients $75. Not far at all I own a massage table and chair so why not take my business in my hands. Today I got my business cards in the mail today and if I do say so myself they look awesome :0) but I can really use some advice with getting my business rolling. How did you guys build your clientele? How did you market yourself? I currently have my facebook page that I use to advertise. I really look forward to any advice   

Views: 329

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lee,

Just an FYI on self-employment tax if you are only paying the 15% as you say, then when it comes time for social security benefits you don't qualify for the credits.  That is why my tax adviser recommended the 30% so that I am covered when I retire.  

It sure isn't as easy as people think.  It didn't help that we opened our expansion 4 months before the economy crash.  We consider ourselves lucky to have made it in spite of it all.

MG

Hillary Kate Arrieta said:

Lol! It Does sound awful, doesn't it. 

Lee Edelberg said:

Hi MG,

I was responding only to your comment about the self-employment tax and wasn't referring at all to payroll taxes.

Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble with your business!

Thanks for the advice everyone :0) the main thing I got from everyone is my success is all in my hands lol get it (nerd moment) I have to do the foot work to get my name out there and focus on building my skills. Luckily for my family has a accountant so I already talked to him all he want me to is give every single client a receipt and keep my personal receipts and he will handle everything quarterly for me! Not to mention one of my best friend is a accountant so im pretty much covered in that area i just need to focus on my hands and techniques!

Thanks everyone HAPPY MASSAGING 

MG,

I've been self-employed for over 25 years.......I know what the rate is. And it is 15%, plus a couple of tenths.  I think you must be confusing some different tax issues, having to do maybe with retirement plans. 

Since I like to be thorough, I asked a tax accountant friend of mine about it, and his answer was that the only time the rate changes is when a business is losing money, and then that business can voluntarily pay money in based on expenses rather than on profit. It protects a business owner by allowing them to pay into social security even when the business is in the red.

So you might want talk to your accountant to find out what is actually happening.

Oh, and Sirrea, good luck with your business!  My apologizes for getting off topic here.

Massage Gnome said:

Lee,

Just an FYI on self-employment tax if you are only paying the 15% as you say, then when it comes time for social security benefits you don't qualify for the credits.  That is why my tax adviser recommended the 30% so that I am covered when I retire.  

It sure isn't as easy as people think.  It didn't help that we opened our expansion 4 months before the economy crash.  We consider ourselves lucky to have made it in spite of it all.

MG

Hillary Kate Arrieta said:

Lol! It Does sound awful, doesn't it. 

Lee Edelberg said:

Hi MG,

I was responding only to your comment about the self-employment tax and wasn't referring at all to payroll taxes.

Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble with your business!

Hi  MG,

It occurred to me after I posted that maybe you have incorporated your business,or something else like that, which might have different rules. My biz has always been a sole proprietorship, which is the simple default for someone going into business for themselves.

cheers......Lee

Perfect! Then you are well on your way to achieving your goals.  Yes the point is things will go up and down but if you are aware of them you can be prepared to handle them and move forward in spite of anything.  Try different things and see what works best for you.  The most important thing is don't sit and wait for things to happen to you, make them happen for you.  Best Wishes Sirrea!

MG

SIRREA KING-CHALUMEAU said:

Thanks for the advice everyone :0) the main thing I got from everyone is my success is all in my hands lol get it (nerd moment) I have to do the foot work to get my name out there and focus on building my skills. Luckily for my family has a accountant so I already talked to him all he want me to is give every single client a receipt and keep my personal receipts and he will handle everything quarterly for me! Not to mention one of my best friend is a accountant so im pretty much covered in that area i just need to focus on my hands and techniques!

Thanks everyone HAPPY MASSAGING 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service