massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

What are your favorite quotes… the ones that helped you in your practice?

I am collecting a bank of quotes for a massage project and would love for you to share your favorite quotes.

While teaching, I use quotes all the time.

To encourage a student to participate, I’ll say, “He who feels it knows it more.” ~ Bob Marley

When a student groans about why they have to learn all this anatomy, I’ll say, “Massage is the study of anatomy in braille.” ~ Jack Meagher

Please share your favorite quotes.

Thanks in advance.

Views: 12319

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Eric. Boy, that's so right. Thanks for the eloquent reminder.

ERic A. Munn said:
"Life is like a sewer, you get out of it what you put into it" -Thomas Leher
I have always liked " The gluteal crease is not a handle" not sure who said it first, but I use it whenever teaching glute massage.
Also, "If it's warm and wet, and not yours; don't touch it." This one comes in handy when talking about infectious skin diseases.
Those are hysterical!!! I will quote you this weekend.

Nate Ewert said:
I have always liked " The gluteal crease is not a handle" not sure who said it first, but I use it whenever teaching glute massage.
Also, "If it's warm and wet, and not yours; don't touch it." This one comes in handy when talking about infectious skin diseases.
Not sure if this one has been shared yet but it's a favorite that I share with my teachers:
The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires. -- William Arthur Ward
I love your quote. Thanks for sharing!!!

Kelee Eiselein said:
Not sure if this one has been shared yet but it's a favorite that I share with my teachers:
The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires. -- William Arthur Ward
Here are some of my favorite quotes.

Warmly, Ariana Vincent, Ariana Institute, www.arianainstitute.com

How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and the strong ~ because someday you will have been all of these. - George Washington-Carver

Eknath Easwaran’s Thought for the Day ...Yet built into our very nature is an inner drive that will not let us be satisfied with a life governed only by biological laws. Some inner evolutionary imperative is constantly exhorting us to grow, to reach for the highest that we can conceive.

"You may believe that you are responsible for what you do, but not for what you think. The truth is that you are responsible for what you think, because it is only at this level that you can exercise choice. What you do comes from what you think." — Foundation for Inner Peace: Publisher of Course in Miracles

"'I am breathing in and making my whole body calm and at peace. I am breathing out and making my whole body calm and at peace.' This is how one practices." - The Sutra on Full Awareness of Breathing

When clutches of the "self" break away, they clap their hands and break into dance as their imperfections fade away. The musicians within strike the tambourine, and the seas burst into foam at their ecstasy. - Rumi, "The Life and Thought of Rumi"

You are the unconditioned spirit trapped into conditions, like the sun in eclipse. –Rumi

One who would be serene and pure needs but one thing, detachment. – Meister Eckhart

When clutches of the "self" break away, they clap their hands and break into dance as their imperfections fade away. The musicians within strike the tambourine, and the seas burst into foam at their ecstasy. - Rumi, "The Life and Thought of Rumi"

"In the depth of my soul, there is a wordless song." Kahil Gibran

"Our destiny changes with our thought; we shall become what we wish to become, do what we wish to do, when our habitual thought corresponds with our desire." Orison S. Marden

"A generous heart, kind speech and a life of service and compassion are the things which renew humanity."
- Siddhartha Gautama (Buddha)

"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." Albert Einstein

"Stay at the center of the circle and let all things take their course." Lao Tzu

Peace cannot be kept by force;
It can only be achieved by understanding. Albert Einstein

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~leo buscaglia

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others." (Pericles)

Lovely quotes.

I will be sure to use them as words of wisdom.

If you think of or come across others you like, pass them on.

Ariana Vincent, LMT, MTI, NCTMB said:

How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and the strong ~ because someday you will have been all of these. - George Washington-Carver

Eknath Easwaran’s Thought for the Day ...Yet built into our very nature is an inner drive that will not let us be satisfied with a life governed only by biological laws. Some inner evolutionary imperative is constantly exhorting us to grow, to reach for the highest that we can conceive.

"You may believe that you are responsible for what you do, but not for what you think. The truth is that you are responsible for what you think, because it is only at this level that you can exercise choice. What you do comes from what you think." — Foundation for Inner Peace: Publisher of Course in Miracles

"'I am breathing in and making my whole body calm and at peace. I am breathing out and making my whole body calm and at peace.' This is how one practices." - The Sutra on Full Awareness of Breathing

You are the unconditioned spirit trapped into conditions, like the sun in eclipse. –Rumi

One who would be serene and pure needs but one thing, detachment. – Meister Eckhart

"Our destiny changes with our thought; we shall become what we wish to become, do what we wish to do, when our habitual thought corresponds with our desire." Orison S. Marden

"A generous heart, kind speech and a life of service and compassion are the things which renew humanity."

"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." Albert Einstein

"Stay at the center of the circle and let all things take their course." Lao Tzu

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~leo buscaglia

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others." (Pericles)

"When in doubt, don't"
" Above all do know harm"
I love these too.

These are in the third edition of my first book and be added in the fourth edition (which I'm writing now).

Frank J said:
"When in doubt, don't"
" Above all do know harm"

"We do not believe in ourselves until someone reveals that deep
inside us is valuable, worth listening to, worthy of our trust,
sacred to our touch. Once we believe in ourselves we can risk
curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight or any experience that
reveals the human spirit." - --e.e. cummings

"I beg you to have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves."
– Rainer Maria Rilke

Someone once told me that the best teachers resist being "the sage on the stage but the guide on the side".

I slept and dreamt that life was joy.
I awoke and saw that life was service.
I acted and behold, service was joy.
-Rabindranath Tagore
Ariana, these are amazing.

If I use any of these (or others people have posted) I will mention in "Acknowledgments."

Ariana Vincent, LMT, MTI, NCTMB said:

"We do not believe in ourselves until someone reveals that deep
inside us is valuable, worth listening to, worthy of our trust,
sacred to our touch. Once we believe in ourselves we can risk
curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight or any experience that
reveals the human spirit." - --e.e. cummings

"I beg you to have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves."
– Rainer Maria Rilke

Someone once told me that the best teachers resist being "the sage on the stage but the guide on the side".

I slept and dreamt that life was joy.
I awoke and saw that life was service.
I acted and behold, service was joy.
-Rabindranath Tagore
Thanks

Truc Dinh said:
DO YOU ISSUE IN YOUR TISSUE?

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service