massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

I know, I'm nosey. I was a travel writer.

For six years, I got to travel to Bed & Breakfasts and get massages, all for free, and write about it. So my roots are in traveling, meeting people and hearing their stories. Now I travel around and do The World Massage Festival & Massage Therapy Hall of Fame.

I found the adjustment to a single location massage establishment, inside a strip mall, very confining. So I started a way to stay "in the massage world and travel!" But that is another story!

What's your story? What did you do before massage? Tell us of your travels and what massage is like where you are, especially if you massage outside the U.S. We really like pictures, if possible.

If you get bored come see me at my page http://www.massageprofessionals.com/profile/MikeHinkle

Thanks and welcome to Massage Professionals!

Views: 4801

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was a film and video professional for about 15 years; everything from cinematography to editing and effects.
I burned out on the profession, and became a sculptor and art gallery manager while I figured out what to do "when I grew up". That's when massage therapy came along (or I came to it). Massage gives me so much more direct satisfaction than what I did before, and that wonderful feeling of being useful in the most basic of ways.
Massage here in Louisville, KY is growing . . . I'm in school at Advanced Massage Therapeutics, and the stress there is definitely on the therapeutic side. It's great.
While I'm finishing up my certification, my day job is in publishing, and I'm also a flamenco accompanist!
Traveling abroad and experiencing the culture especially in the field of massage would be a dream come true for me!

I have had a very rewarding experience and career in Healthcare. My training and experience is based on formal flight medical training in the civilian and military (4N01X) sectors which translates for: Paramedic, LPN, Medical Asst, Barometric Chamber Technician, among many other hats! I have worked in OB/GYN, Emergency Room, Dermatology among many of the departments in the VA Hospital. I still serve in the military as a Guardsmen. Unfortunately, while doing the military duties, time constraints are the norm so I seldomly get to perform or receive massages while deployment.

Currently where I live, there is a wide array of massage therapists as there are modalities. I feel this is wonderful in order to meet our client's needs. The only aspect I would like to see in the future of massage in my town is more acceptance of modalities such as Reiki, EFT, Thai Massage and other modalities which would nurture the clients acceptance of their own body and awareness.
I was a 9-1-1 emergency calltaker and dispatcher. I started massage to get out of the high stress environment. I tell you though, with the economy like it is, I don't find working for yourself any less stressful.
Hi

I worked for the cruise line as a air/sea reservationst. Prior to the cruise line , I have worked as a xray-assistant , physical theraypy assistant. That has been ages ago, now back to the body, go figure. Life change because of the inspiration from my dearest dying cousin. This is dedicated to her.
I just became licensed as a MT last summer and haven't yet pursued working in the field (other than take several CE classes on modalities of interest). So I still do what I've done forever, write. At the moment I'm writing about quilting for the About.com network, part of the NY Times. I've also written about real estate for About, but quilting is much more fun.

I have written numerous quilting books, some as a freelancer and three on topics of my own choosing, and one real estate book. I'll always write -- who knows, maybe *someday* about massage or esthetics (and I do have a MT web site in development).

Oh, I also co-own a fudge shop and real estate agency in Brevard, NC, and have some building space for MTs if anyone has an interest.

I hope to attend the festival next year, but will be in the middle of a 6-month esthetics course, so am not sure if it's doable.
Great story, Kelli! If there is anything we can do to help, let us know!

Kelli B. said:
At present, I work full-time offering Therapeutic Massage and Craniosacral Therapy at a Community Center in a small town in Illinois. Previous to enrolling in massage school in 2002, I was working in graphic arts and manual drafting. But then I wanted to do more for people, but didn't know what. I did know I wanted to be self employed, so I took classes for small business through the local community college. After that, I went searching for my calling at a university and tried several majors, never settling on one.

Then one day I had a vision, and another day I had a thought. The vision was that of a single leaf, and I knew that natural medicine was the answer to health. The thought: that beginning a career as a massage therapist would pave the way to many natural health roads. A catalyst to this thought was that my sister told me I gave a good foot massage, and I believed her. Massage Therapy as a career was an excellent choice.
Well Daniel, we are glad you have chosen a much safer profession.

Daniel Lopes said:
I am a retired Pa. State Corrections Officer. I retired with 20 years as a Sergent.
Yea me too. I don't miss that line of work.

Mike Hinkle said:

Daniel Lopes said:
I am a retired Pa. State Corrections Officer. I retired with 20 years as a Sergent.
Thanks Mike! I appreciate that very much. I'm still getting a hang of the pages on this site, so I appreciate the encouragement to not be shy! :)

Mike Hinkle said:
Great story, Kelli! If there is anything we can do to help, let us know!

Kelli B. said:
At present, I work full-time offering Therapeutic Massage and Craniosacral Therapy at a Community Center in a small town in Illinois. Previous to enrolling in massage school in 2002, I was working in graphic arts and manual drafting. But then I wanted to do more for people, but didn't know what. I did know I wanted to be self employed, so I took classes for small business through the local community college. After that, I went searching for my calling at a university and tried several majors, never settling on one.

Then one day I had a vision, and another day I had a thought. The vision was that of a single leaf, and I knew that natural medicine was the answer to health. The thought: that beginning a career as a massage therapist would pave the way to many natural health roads. A catalyst to this thought was that my sister told me I gave a good foot massage, and I believed her. Massage Therapy as a career was an excellent choice.
Sraight up! Would a massage a week get inmates to mellow out more? Could it be an incentive to be good? With your contacts, what a niche, if you could lower Officer/Inmate aggressive acts and what a study. I bet the government would fund it.

Daniel Lopes said:

Mike Hinkle said:

Daniel Lopes said:
If inmates were paroled quicker because there were less confrontations/deaths between inmates and taxpayers saved money, I think they may be happier. And who said free? They could have to accomplsh community work or tasks that might generate prison income. Probably illegal to profit off prisoners somehow/somewhere. But I'm looking for ideas here. where massage grows.

Rick Britton said:
could you imagine the headlines in the tabloids!!

Cons get free massage

yikes

Mike Hinkle said:
Sraight up! Would a massage a week get inmates to mellow out more? Could it be an incentive to be good? With your contacts, what a niche, if you could lower Officer/Inmate aggressive acts and what a study. I bet the government would fund it.

Daniel Lopes said:

Mike Hinkle said:

Daniel Lopes said:
He! He! Yea OK ! I'm not interested, but thanks anyhow!!!

Mike Hinkle said:
If inmates were paroled quicker because there were less confrontations/deaths between inmates and taxpayers saved money, I think they may be happier. And who said free? They could have to accomplsh community work or tasks that might generate prison income. Probably illegal to profit off prisoners somehow/somewhere. But I'm looking for ideas here. where massage grows.

Rick Britton said:
could you imagine the headlines in the tabloids!!

Cons get free massage

yikes

Mike Hinkle said:

Daniel Lopes said:

Mike Hinkle said:

Daniel Lopes said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service