massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

I know, I'm nosey. I was a travel writer.

For six years, I got to travel to Bed & Breakfasts and get massages, all for free, and write about it. So my roots are in traveling, meeting people and hearing their stories. Now I travel around and do The World Massage Festival & Massage Therapy Hall of Fame.

I found the adjustment to a single location massage establishment, inside a strip mall, very confining. So I started a way to stay "in the massage world and travel!" But that is another story!

What's your story? What did you do before massage? Tell us of your travels and what massage is like where you are, especially if you massage outside the U.S. We really like pictures, if possible.

If you get bored come see me at my page http://www.massageprofessionals.com/profile/MikeHinkle

Thanks and welcome to Massage Professionals!

Views: 4801

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Helen and we are glad you made the change also!

Hello Mike,

For the past 15 years I've been working as a watercolorist and freelance illustrator.  I was also blessed to have spent this time raising our daughter.  Throughout these years I regularly practiced meditation and yoga.  Having done all the glamorous work that goes with being a stay-at-home dad: cooking, cleaning, dropping-off and picking-up, etc., I was eager to work outside the home.  I considered teaching yoga, but ultimately decided I would prefer the one-on-one connection that Massage provides.  I've just completed my licensure in RI and I have joined a small group of independent wellness practitioners.

Nice topic, it's a nice way to get to know a little bit more about others here.

If you are interested you can see view of my watercolor work at: http://www.newburystudio.com

Be Well,

Ian Newbury

Great art work, Ian!  Welcome to the world of massage!

Renee Robb-Cohen

Ian Newbury said:

Hello Mike,

For the past 15 years I've been working as a watercolorist and freelance illustrator.  I was also blessed to have spent this time raising our daughter.  Throughout these years I regularly practiced meditation and yoga.  Having done all the glamorous work that goes with being a stay-at-home dad: cooking, cleaning, dropping-off and picking-up, etc., I was eager to work outside the home.  I considered teaching yoga, but ultimately decided I would prefer the one-on-one connection that Massage provides.  I've just completed my licensure in RI and I have joined a small group of independent wellness practitioners.

If you are interested you can see view of my watercolor work at: http://www.newburystudio.com

Be Well,

Ian Newbury

Thanks Renee!

Renee Robb-Cohen said:

Great art work, Ian!  Welcome to the world of massage!

Renee Robb-Cohen

Ian Newbury said:

Hello Mike,

Be Well,

Ian Newbury

Hi Julia,

I hope you make it to Festival and will use that voice during the Jam session with Laura Allen and Friends on Friday night! I will share your music with friends! Thanks!

Julia Fragias said:

Hi Mike,

I was an editorial and artists model before embracing massage. I also am an electronic musician, but my royalties never came close to covering the cost of living. My music is streamable at http://www.janesilence.com and available on iTunes among other e-stores.

My goal was to heal people with my hands and with my voice.

Thanks for posting this discussion. There are a lot of interesting responses.

Hi Ian,

I agree with Renee! Fantastic work! Always looking for talented folks! Glad you are here!

Ian Newbury said:

Hello Mike,

Be Well,

Ian Newbury

It's just a gift I won';t abandon. . been doing it for 20 years and hope to do it for the next 20. . . took courses in Florida back in the 90s and never looked back

I feel the same way Carol! What a blessing to find a passion in life and what you were born to do!
I agree with you ladies, it is a special and passionate career. I hope we protect it as such. The freedoms it gives us would be hard, if not impossible, to replace.
I am 22 so you may think I haven't had much time to have other careers, and you would be right, but what I did do I did passionately. From before I can remember I worked in a church nursery with my mom, I actually started to get paid to work in the nursery when I was 16 and continued until I was 18. During my senior year I moved in with my grandmother to take care of her because she has Alzheimer's and was unable to live alone. 6 months after I graduated I started going stir crazy and felt the need to do SOMETHING for my self because every waking moment was about the care of MeeMaw so I went to massage school at the age of 19 thinking it would be a step towards pediatric physical therapy but I fell in love with everything massage and have been doing it ever since.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service