massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

Massage Insurance Billing


Massage Insurance Billing

All about billing insurance companies for massage services. What states can you bill for mva's, work injuries, PPO's, HMO's? What is required in each state or even city?

Members: 139
Latest Activity: Aug 18

Massage Insurance Billing

I have been billing insurance since the beginning of my career which started in 1989. I am not an expert but do know a fair amount about it. The thing is that there are so many differences in each state and in each city and even each insurance plan it can be overwhelming. I have used insurance billing through my career to keep it stable. Yes there are difficulties in getting paid but I found that the more I knew the better I was able to weed out problem cases and set boundaries around working with people and their insurance companies. I am starting this group to allow people to share their insurance billing tips, classes and information.

Please start a discussion topic and use your state/city in the heading and share information on what massage insurance billing you are able to do in your area.  Thanks Julie

Discussion Forum

ICD-9 code: is it needed?

My thought is that we do as LMT's need an ICD-9 code from a referring physician in order to bill for massage therapy.  Is this correct?  I recently received a script from a physician referring his…Continue

Started by erica ragusa Nov 19, 2014.

Hiring a Medical Biller 6 Replies

I am looking to "hire" a medical biller to bill insurance for my practice. I am a one man show…Continue

Started by Trina Throckmorton. Last reply by erica ragusa Oct 1, 2014.

What states/cities, insurance plans can you bill in your state? 9 Replies

One of the most common questions I get is what insurance company can I bill?In Most states you can bill for car accidents and work related injuries but there are certain rules in some states like…Continue

Started by Julie Onofrio. Last reply by Julie Onofrio Apr 11, 2012.

WA Massage Insurance Billing

In WA we can bill for car accidents and for work related injuries through Labor and Industries.You can sign up to become a provider with L&I here -…Continue

Started by Julie Onofrio Mar 24, 2012.

Comment Wall


You need to be a member of Massage Insurance Billing to add comments!

Comment by Darcy Neibaur on April 14, 2010 at 3:14am
Andrea contact Vivian Madison Mahoney. She is on this site. She is an insurance Expert
Comment by Andrea Keapproth on April 13, 2010 at 11:58pm
I have been a LMT since 2007. I worked in a private office for my first 2 years and I have now just opened my own business in WI, within a chiropractic office.
I am hoping to start accepting insurance, but have no previous experience working with insurance companies or the paperwork involved.
The chiropractor is very enthusiastic about sending me clients with workman's comp and insurance.
Does anyone have any advice for me? Or a website where I can get the correct forms needed?
Thank you.
Comment by Jan Seeley, LMP on March 14, 2010 at 11:11pm
unfortunately, that's still the impression to some people. It's part opf our job to educate them, to speak up, to let them know exactly what massage does for their health. It's one step at a time, but it's up to us. Or you could move to WA State :)
Comment by Kimberly Rogers on March 14, 2010 at 3:45pm
Okay. So it sounds like in Wisconsin, a massage therapist would have to be a partner or an employee of a physician's office or or chiropractic office or physical therapy practice, where the medical practice is the one billing insurance, not the massage therapist. This explains alot. But why tie our (MTBs) hands? As long as we are trained, certified and registered/licensed with our state, why not "free up" the grip a little? I was offended when an insurance rep came to my husband's work (off-duty National Guard job) and told family and worker attendees at the yearly insurance-update meeting that massage is "froo-froo" and real men don't need pampering.

"Froo-froo?" Puh-leeze.
Comment by Jan Seeley, LMP on March 13, 2010 at 12:45pm
Kimberly. Washington State is a forerunner in allowing/mandating that health insurance pay for massage, and it is by prescription/referral only. The rx has to spell out what the diagnosis is, including diagnosis code, and how many visits over what amount of time.. Massage therapists cannot, by law, diagnose, and you have to have that in order to bill. All states are different, so you'd have to check with WI massage laws, etc. to find that out. Here we are licensed as healthcare practitioners, just like a doc, chiro, etc. Not all states do that.
Comment by Kimberly Rogers on March 13, 2010 at 11:46am
No problem. Is it even possible for MTs to bill insurance in WI? My husband's company (when he is not serving in the National Guard) has started offering health savings accounts...but even there, massage therapy is listed as reimbursable only as prescribed by a medical physician.
Comment by Jan Seeley, LMP on March 12, 2010 at 2:42am
ahhh...I understand. It's a Wisconsin thing...based out of Eau Claire, for Medicare/Medicaid patients who are trying to stay in their own homes despite being incapacitated. Interesting services...operates as an HMO and a Managed Care Operation...thanks.
Comment by Kimberly Rogers on March 12, 2010 at 1:48am
Sure. My colleague was trained and licensed by WI as a nail technician. She studied reflexology later, after she established her business. She has been caring for clients for over 10 years. And two years ago, became nationally certified in Reflexology through the American Reflexology Certification Board (ARCB). She was approached by a group named Community Health Partnership (CHP) and asked if she would be willing to work with low-income clients.

I worked out of her office as a massage therapist for a short time. She is located in northwestern WI. If it weren't such a long drive for me, I probably would still be there. I only worked out of her office a couple of days a month, so I'm not sure how it was all set up. She also was talking to other insurance companies. Unfortunately, I don't have much more information. Whenever I asked how she set everything up, I couldn't get a straight answer.
Comment by Jan Seeley, LMP on March 11, 2010 at 7:56pm
your colleague who billed for reflexology and "nail care" she a massage therapist? Nail care isn't exactly a billable thing for massage therapists. And, at least in this state, reflexology, I think, is iffy as far as insurance billing is concerned. Can you explain a little, Kimberly?
Comment by Kimberly Rogers on March 11, 2010 at 5:31pm
Hi. I look forward to learning more about insurance billing. I have always been against it in the past, but a colleague of mine was able to bill insurance for reflexology and nail care out of her clinic. Because she did this, she was able to keep her doors open during the economy crunch. I am interested in learning more. I live in WI, and have no idea what to do first. I hope to learn a lot from everyone on this forum. Thanks for creating this group!

Members (139)


© 2015   Created by Lara Evans Bracciante.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service