massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

I'd really like to know what brought the members of this group to massage.

My story is I was a travel writer and started getting them at Bed & Breakfasts and feel in love with them. That led me to move to Florida and go to school.

Views: 33

Replies to This Discussion

I was a business administrator for a neurologist. Believe it or not he was dating a nurse into holistic health. Asked me to find out ALL about holistic medicine so he could impress her. I said "DUH"? what is THAT - over 20+ years ago.
Needless to say I did my research well and here I am today. Thank you Doc!
One never knows where a path will take them.

Then...I decided to offer an intro to massage class at an adult education program to promote my massage practice when I decided to set up my office. 60 people showed up! WOW! Many wanted to go to school after the class. I started referring them to schools.
An older woman (entrepreneur, very wealthy) was in the class with her niece. She said "YOU WILL TrAIN my niece". I explained I can't. She said , but you just did. Now this nearly 7 foot woman backed me against a wall and said 'You do understand opportunity, don't you?" Needless to say I eventually trained her daughter and 3 others.....then a massage school eventually involved. I pay attention to "Signs" :) lol

Look where life has me now :)
You asked ;)
Neat story!
For me, it goes back farther than I know. I've done energy and body work growing up which later developed through my practice of Tai Chi and Wing Chun. The moment that really sticks out for me is when my father was dying of cancer, and being there in those last moments of his life, just holding and gentle caressing his frail form. The combination of energy work and the power of touch really hit home on many levels. It would not be until 11 years later that the opportunity for me to become a Massage Therapist would become a reality.

That time was an interesting time, already moving out from my native N. California soil brought me to NC. Work then closed its doors here, moving our jobs overseas and while I had the option of moving again to stay with the company I had been with for 10 years, it was time for the change and off to school I went. I know I am where I need to be now.

I know not much pomp or circumstance, but the best things are small things.
So tell me what you think of Laura Allen's Gift, she shared

http://www.massageprofessionals.com/profiles/blogs/laura-allen-shar...

It's also at the top of my page if you click on my picture.

Tell me!

Michael said:
For me, it goes back farther than I know. I've done energy and body work growing up which later developed through my practice of Tai Chi and Wing Chun. The moment that really sticks out for me is when my father was dying of cancer, and being there in those last moments of his life, just holding and gentle caressing his frail form. The combination of energy work and the power of touch really hit home on many levels. It would not be until 11 years later that the opportunity for me to become a Massage Therapist would become a reality.

That time was an interesting time, already moving out from my native N. California soil brought me to NC. Work then closed its doors here, moving our jobs overseas and while I had the option of moving again to stay with the company I had been with for 10 years, it was time for the change and off to school I went. I know I am where I need to be now.

I know not much pomp or circumstance, but the best things are small things.
Just beautiful. I've known a couple of people who have given their hair up for wigs for cancer patients. If we could all only be so simple and compassionate as young children are. :)

Mike Hinkle said:
So tell me what you think of Laura Allen's Gift, she shared

http://www.massageprofessionals.com/profiles/blogs/laura-allen-shar...

It's also at the top of my page if you click on my picture.

Tell me!

Michael said:
For me, it goes back farther than I know. I've done energy and body work growing up which later developed through my practice of Tai Chi and Wing Chun. The moment that really sticks out for me is when my father was dying of cancer, and being there in those last moments of his life, just holding and gentle caressing his frail form. The combination of energy work and the power of touch really hit home on many levels. It would not be until 11 years later that the opportunity for me to become a Massage Therapist would become a reality.

That time was an interesting time, already moving out from my native N. California soil brought me to NC. Work then closed its doors here, moving our jobs overseas and while I had the option of moving again to stay with the company I had been with for 10 years, it was time for the change and off to school I went. I know I am where I need to be now.

I know not much pomp or circumstance, but the best things are small things.
I'm an ex programmer, and massage therapy gave me my life back! I came to the time when I could share that wonderful healing by changing work, and here I am, 5 years later.

I spent about 10 years in chronic pain in one hip, with monthly migraines that knocked me out of gear for the weekend. My quality and joy in life were under constant attack. I couldn't sleep but 3 hours before I woke in pain and had to take another dose of ibuprofen. My nickname was "the ghost" for times when the pain took all my energy and I just endured the hours until it calmed down.

I tried all kinds of specialists in Western medicine.. and got the usual responses that the hip bone was not degraded enough for surgery YET, and more pain killers that I couldn't function with. No one could say WHY. Finally met a wonderful bodyworker doing stuctural integration when we moved here to NC, and it took about a year and a half of monthly sessions, but I was jogging. I who could barely walk was able to run pain free :-) The migraines were nearly gone - down to 2-3 a year instead of 12-15. And I knew a LOT about why - muscles imbalance, holding patterns, repetitive stress syndromes.

Anyway, to cut out another 7 years or so, I got laid off in the dot.com bust of 2001, and just knew it was time to re-orient my life. Went to school for massage therapy -- and found out that "massage therapy" is a whole different kettle from structural integration! I never knew that, as my savior MT was my only experience with massage.

My first Swedish massage was a total surprise :-) But I've continued to learn, and now focus on NMT and myofascial work. I enjoy it so much, and I do a lot of good as a massage therapist. It's been just a wonderful experience, and I still get up loving my work.
Great story! Glad to have you with us!
I started out as a Medical Assistant in PCP office. I loved helping others and had plans to become an RN. After working in the field for 3 years I saw what happens when you treat the symptoms and not the individual. I didn't think health care was for me. A friend who was a hair stylist suggested we go to school for massage. I ended up going and she didn't. I thought it would be a way to earn money so that I could go back to school full time and discover what I wanted to be. Little did I know how massage would impact my life. It was like a light was turned on. I worked for a year in a spa and the nwith a chiropractor and now I have my own practice. It's been 9 months since I went out on my own and I LOVE it!
Go, Nichole! Love the spirit!

Nichole Honeycutt said:
I started out as a Medical Assistant in PCP office. I loved helping others and had plans to become an RN. After working in the field for 3 years I saw what happens when you treat the symptoms and not the individual. I didn't think health care was for me. A friend who was a hair stylist suggested we go to school for massage. I ended up going and she didn't. I thought it would be a way to earn money so that I could go back to school full time and discover what I wanted to be. Little did I know how massage would impact my life. It was like a light was turned on. I worked for a year in a spa and the nwith a chiropractor and now I have my own practice. It's been 9 months since I went out on my own and I LOVE it!
I started working in the corporate world after two years of unsuccessful college. I was laid off 2 years ago, during my down time, I found myself at a crossroads. I had decided that I didn't want a job anymore, I wanted a career. My father is a physician and I started talking with him about my future. I knew a four year or more degree would be too much for me. I researched several shorter programs, Physical Therapy, Speech Therapy and Massage Therapy. I have always been a hands on person and recently read a book about a healer. It inspired me to look further into Massage Therapy. So, I made my decision to attend a school very close to my house. Now, 21 weeks later I am 5 weeks from graduating and sending off my license application. I am so excited to start practicing. My education hastruly inspired me to be the best LMBT that I can be and I am hungry to learn more.
Way to go Keren! And as a fellow student ,I know you'll be an excellent therapist! Carla

Keren Hutchinson said:
I started working in the corporate world after two years of unsuccessful college. I was laid off 2 years ago, during my down time, I found myself at a crossroads. I had decided that I didn't want a job anymore, I wanted a career. My father is a physician and I started talking with him about my future. I knew a four year or more degree would be too much for me. I researched several shorter programs, Physical Therapy, Speech Therapy and Massage Therapy. I have always been a hands on person and recently read a book about a healer. It inspired me to look further into Massage Therapy. So, I made my decision to attend a school very close to my house. Now, 21 weeks later I am 5 weeks from graduating and sending off my license application. I am so excited to start practicing. My education hastruly inspired me to be the best LMBT that I can be and I am hungry to learn more.
If you need help, just holler!

Keren Hutchinson said:
I started working in the corporate world after two years of unsuccessful college. I was laid off 2 years ago, during my down time, I found myself at a crossroads. I had decided that I didn't want a job anymore, I wanted a career. My father is a physician and I started talking with him about my future. I knew a four year or more degree would be too much for me. I researched several shorter programs, Physical Therapy, Speech Therapy and Massage Therapy. I have always been a hands on person and recently read a book about a healer. It inspired me to look further into Massage Therapy. So, I made my decision to attend a school very close to my house. Now, 21 weeks later I am 5 weeks from graduating and sending off my license application. I am so excited to start practicing. My education hastruly inspired me to be the best LMBT that I can be and I am hungry to learn more.

RSS

© 2014   Created by Lara Evans Bracciante.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service