massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

New Hampshire Bodyworkers


New Hampshire Bodyworkers

For massage therapists/bodyworkers in the state of New Hampshire.

Members: 27
Latest Activity: Feb 10, 2014

This group was formed in response to New Hampshire House Bill 446, but please feel free to post anything of interest to New Hampshire massage therapists and bodyworkers.

Discussion Forum

Upper Valley Networking Event for Massage Therapists and Massage Therapy Students

Please pass on to other massage therapists ... Would you like to network with other massage therapist & bodywork professionals? If so, you are invited to an exciting networking event on:…Continue

Started by Kevin Clark Sep 25, 2012.

NH House Bills

As you probably know, New Hampshire House Bill 446 is dead. However, two new house bills have been introduced that could have major impacts on the regulation of massage therapy:  HB 1265 – this Bill…Continue

Started by Kevin Clark Jan 10, 2012.

AMTA Suggests What To Do About House Bill 446

Click on the link below:Important News from Concord:…Continue

Started by Kevin Clark Dec 25, 2011.

Update on NH House Bill 446 (deregulation of massage) 17 Replies

From Vickie Branch, Government Relations, AMTA-NH Dear Friends and Colleagues, As many of you are aware, House Bill 446 – an act to repeal regulation for certain professions, was introduced to the…Continue

Started by Kevin Clark. Last reply by Kevin Clark Nov 18, 2011.

Comment Wall


You need to be a member of New Hampshire Bodyworkers to add comments!

Comment by Kevin Clark on August 5, 2012 at 10:33am

Congratulations, Bethany.  Welcome aboard--and all that stuff!

Comment by Bethany Reed on August 3, 2012 at 7:50pm

Hi everybody, I'm very excited to say that I am now licensed in the state of New Hampshire!!!  I went on vacation to Rollinsford, NH to see my brother & his wife & came back to a license :D  Now to figure out what to do with it lol.  How's everyone doing?

Comment by Bethany Reed on May 27, 2012 at 3:54pm

I must say, y'all are so much more helpful than Illinois lol.  The state makes everything sound like "trade secrets" here, so far NH is much more welcoming & open to helping.  I like it :D 

Do y'all have any suggestions on which is better in NH: Private Practice Ownership as an LMT or Being Employed as an LMT?

Comment by Daniel Cohen on May 26, 2012 at 11:16am

Yes it is confusing and I'm not sure what I would be prohibited from doing if I do Thai Massage & Lomi Lomi as an Asian Bodyworker. I guess it would prevent me from using non Asian brand names in advertising but not much other difference. And if I didn't qualify as an Asian Bodyworker I could be ordained as a Hawaiian Kahu and do all the Hawaiian healing practices including Lomi Lomi in all its varieties which pretty much covers the massage applications. Just not sure who benefits.

Comment by Kevin Clark on May 26, 2012 at 10:20am

Hi Daniel.  I can understand why having two different bodywork licenses causes confusion.  The current system came about due to a political process.  The result has advantages and disadvantages.  Which way the scale tips depends largely on one's training and the modalities she practices.

In the example you gave below, a Licensed Massage Therapist can practice all the modalities you mentioned.  However, if the practitioner only practices Tuina and does not have the training to qualify for a massage license, she might be able to qualify for the Asian Bodyworker license and thus be able to practice her craft.

Comment by Michael Huber on May 21, 2012 at 1:35pm

If they wind up not accepting the CE's, my school has a 40 hour A&P course that the state will definitely accept, but hopefully they will accept the CE as that will be a lot easier and cost effective.  Hope you get your license soon!

Comment by Bethany Reed on May 21, 2012 at 1:23pm

Thanks for the help & feedback everyone.  The reason I'm asking is in Illinois I'm a certified Reflexologist, and I love it!  I don't want to stop practicing Reflexology, but I do more massage & bodywork practices in my everyday...  I'm hoping that they'll allow an A&P ceu to go toward everything.  When I called & asked they weren't sure, but I figure I need it anyway.  I do practice some Energy Work, but not very often.  The town I live in isn't very... welcoming to it.  I'm waiting now on my First Aid/CPR cards to come in, once they come in I can submit everything and go from there :)

Comment by Daniel Cohen on May 21, 2012 at 10:37am

So if I want to do John Barnes MFR I need to have a massage license but if I want to do similar work from Hwal Bup Do I need the Asian Bodywork one. Another example is if I do Manual Lymph Drainage it would be massage but if I do Lymph Drainage from Tuina it is Asian Bodywork. In Mass nearby I wouldn't need a license other than a simple business license. Things keep getting more mixed up.

I can understand having separate licenses foe Wellness Massage/Medical Massage/Erotic Massage/Prostitution but don't really understand the current direction.

Comment by Kevin Clark on May 21, 2012 at 10:16am

New Hampshire has two licenses:  One for Massage Therapists, and another for Reflexologists, Structural Integrators, and Asian Bodywork Therapists.  Unless you are a reflexologist, structural integrator/rolfer, or an Asian bodyworker and only want to practice that modality, the massage therapist license is the one for you.

Michael mentioned energy work.  In general, energy work is exempt from licensing.  However, I would encourage anyone who wants to practice energy work to contact the Department to make sure their particular modality is exempt.  There have been cases where practitioners and NH law have not been on the same page about what is exempt and what is not.

Bethany, once you get your massage license, you won't need to worry about the bodywork and energy work pieces.  You'll be able to practice everything you learned in massage school.  (I also went to massage school in IL.)


Comment by Michael Huber on May 21, 2012 at 3:14am

Hi Bethany, what type of bodywork are you referring to?  If you are referring to energy work, last I knew energy workers are allowed to work without a license.  Are you going to be able to get your missing hours by doing CE's?  That was always a point I was unsure of with the state, if so thats great as that will be much easier.  That your nervous just means this is important to you in my view, which is a very good thing :). 


Members (27)


© 2015   Created by Lara Evans Bracciante.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service