massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

Prepare for a rant on a pet peeve of mine.  This is not just for new massage therapists but also for any therapist who cut their prices so low that they actually hamper other therapists' business...and even their own.  It happened to me today.  I called on a corporate client to work their health fair as I have done the last 2 years.  I might add here that my rates are in the mid-high range.  But I've been doing this work for 10 years and my prices reflect my experience and expertise of my craft.  Anyway, I was told by the human resources person that they opted for a friend of an employee who had just graduated and was working part time plus doing massage part time.  And she was cheaper....a lot cheaper.  I thanked him (even though I wanted to say good luck...I've experienced this before and the job performed was never up to the standards the company was hoping for) and hung up.

Fellow therapists.  Put some value on your work.  Whether you are a new graduate or an experienced veteran, your work is VALUABLE!  Do not cheapen that which you have worked for so hard.  Yes, you may get more business with bargain basement rates, BUT....you will have to work harder, your career might not last as long due to overwork, you might not make enough to live on and, you hurt other therapists who might (temporarily) lose business because they find therapists that charge so much less.  I do this work full time.  If I lose a client to lower rates...fine.  I don't really need clients that base where they go on price.  I am not Massage Envy.  But, for every client lost, I have to make up that slot.  It costs me money.  I don't have another job to fall back on.

That's it.  It's happened before and I always make it up.  Just keep this in mind when you think about slashing rates to become the cheapest therapist.   It will cost you in the long run.

Views: 505

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with you wholeheartedly Rajam. And I do those things. I provide a heated table, music, water....I throw in stretches and heat/cold packs. For the chair, I bring music, water, pass out freebies, add extra minutes, etc. I didn't burn bridges and I will fill their space. It's not always about the money for me....it's the reason of why the job is lost. But when a client makes their decision based entirely on financial considerations, it is frustrating. But it is what it is.. Everyone has the free will to make their own decisions...and own the consequences of making them.
Oh, my Me thinks someone has their moody pants on!

Monica Reno, LMT, NCTMB said:
Dear Folks..."Newbies, Mid-Timers, and all,

There is NO fixed price for massage, anywhere in the country. This is not a contractualized profession, and frankly this discussion on a site supported by a professional organization smacks of anti-trust, and should cease immediately. The price of any massage is fixed by the practitioner, and sometimes negotiated with the client. I support the younger practitioners effort to charge less, if that is the value of their product at this time. Folks who have been around awhile can indeed ask for a little more and feel confident to receive it especially if it holds a value to THEIR client! Time in profession can of course be a consideration, but lets not insult the new guy because they out manuveured a more senior practitioner in a negotiation. That is unprofessional and mean-spirited. The corporate client may in fact find that they are less happy with a different provider and could come back, but maybe not. That is the consumers purogative....its called capitalism, welcome to American business. In closing, please keep in mind that if time on the job was the only factor in setting your massage rates, you would all loose to my 27 years in business. See you on the road.
z
Terry,

Yes I was. I am sorry that I am sensitive to statements like the one you made...." in central indiana the rate for chair massage is." There has at times been much discussion in business arenas about the perceived price fixing of massage services. I apologize if my vigor about the subject seemed coarse. I have strong beliefs about free market. I think that it is more important that anyone who wishes to experience a massage should be able to. I welcomed Massage Envy into our profession as I have met many people as I travel who had their first massage experience at a Massage Envy. One of the prime reasons they did so was the price point. I think it is a good idea to tell me practitioners that it may take some time to "build a practice" and that the fee for their services will probably grow over time. I have heard many teachers and therapists tell students that they can make $75 an hour for services. Although that is true in some areas and for some therapists it is unrealistic for the new therapist. There are a million ways to market massage. I simply think we should support the efforts of young therapists, and be care not to make statements that seem to indicate that there is a fixed service fee scale based on geography.

Terry Capuano said:
Monica - Wow! Were you referring to my answer to Emma about my experience with chair massage when you commented about anti-trust laws? She asked about a price range - so I gave her my charges and the other arrangements made. I was not setting Emma's charges for her as she will decide those for herself. And as to this site - I was not advertising to do chair massage for x amount of dollars. I believe in the "free-market", I was not "conspiring to fix prices", I am not trying to "monopolize" any business and I was not setting up an "unlawful merger". The pleasure in this site is that those of us who have been around for a while can hopefully be of assistance to those who are new to the business. And those who are new can bring their thoughts and experiences to the table - an old dog can learn a new trick. If you didn't learn it in school - maybe - you can have the benefit of at least hearing what other therapists have to share.
I'd like to also interject that just because a therapist DOES charge a under-market price for their services does not immediately indicate that the massage is no good.
Yes thats completely true, but what is publics perception ???

Lisa said:
I'd like to also interject that just because a therapist DOES charge a under-market price for their services does not immediately indicate that the massage is no good.
Me I started at a gym, was flogged, cut down my availability at the club, did home visits half price, added £5 to price per annum untill recession (stayed at £60 an hr ). stopped working at clubs, now only see private clients and they come to me.
Price is 50% more than newbies for a very good reason.:)

Long hard road but now Life rocks.
Stephen Jeffrey said:
Yes thats completely true, but what is publics perception ???

maybe it's "you get what you pay for"...however, as in many areas of massage that we have all been discussing, there is an education needed for our clients...i.e. not all massages are you gonna get a hand job, regular massages will benefit you more than the occasional one, AND just because a massage is "affordable" doesn't mean it sucks. :)
Agreed! Our work is not to be bargained for. We put a lot of time, effort, energy, money, etc, etc, etc into it. Its so much more than the half hour or hour or whatever amount of time we are actually with a client. The amount of self-care required alone makes it valuable, not to mention the time and money put into cleaning, linens, supplies, and everything else. There is a whole other behind-the-scenes of this job that people don't think about or take into account when it comes to pricing. You are absolutely right in saying its fine if you lose a client to cheaper prices. If they do not value your work, let them be with a practitioner who does not value their own work. But these are the same therapists that are treating your body as if its like every other body, just pumping out session after session. I've always found its better to do everything with purpose and intention, which usually means taking your time with the opportunity you have been given to work with a particular body and spirit. Its beautiful, and it shouldnt be cheapened. Besides, who wants to be the cheapest therapist? That's like being the cheapest prostitute. Not literally, but I hope you know what I mean. I'm all about package discounts and incentives and things like that, because every body does deserve massage, and it should be affordable. We need to work with our clients to find a plan of care that is beneficial to their healing process but not detrimental to their financial well-being. But to straight up slash your prices to get a client is plain dirty.
why is the assumption that if an MT is below market price they have no value in their work? I have great value in my work, but for my situation it serves my purpose to have low prices. As I grow into my practice, that will change and so will my price. but i will still value my work the same as when i started.

there seems to be this notion that therapist that are cheap have no self value, give terrible massages and are dirty business players. i take slight offense to that. my prices are about as low as anyone around here will find. and as i've stated earlier, for my situation, it works. everyone's situation is different. you have some therapist that work in an office, some out of their homes, and some work for others. all these scenarios will have different pricing for the SAME basic service. it's just how it is. I'm sure if i went to all the fast food places there would be different prices for the same basic burger.

Kimberly Jansen said:
Agreed! Our work is not to be bargained for. We put a lot of time, effort, energy, money, etc, etc, etc into it. Its so much more than the half hour or hour or whatever amount of time we are actually with a client. The amount of self-care required alone makes it valuable, not to mention the time and money put into cleaning, linens, supplies, and everything else. There is a whole other behind-the-scenes of this job that people don't think about or take into account when it comes to pricing. You are absolutely right in saying its fine if you lose a client to cheaper prices. If they do not value your work, let them be with a practitioner who does not value their own work. But these are the same therapists that are treating your body as if its like every other body, just pumping out session after session. I've always found its better to do everything with purpose and intention, which usually means taking your time with the opportunity you have been given to work with a particular body and spirit. Its beautiful, and it shouldnt be cheapened. Besides, who wants to be the cheapest therapist? That's like being the cheapest prostitute. Not literally, but I hope you know what I mean. I'm all about package discounts and incentives and things like that, because every body does deserve massage, and it should be affordable. We need to work with our clients to find a plan of care that is beneficial to their healing process but not detrimental to their financial well-being. But to straight up slash your prices to get a client is plain dirty.
I don't believe that massage is the SAME basic service...no matter where it's practiced. The different modalities and different techniques/attitudes/education of therapists should not lend itself to be put under such a broad category. Maybe that's why I would never compare what I do to a fast food place. All burgers are not the same basic burger. Fast food burgers are cheap and really aren't that good.
I think you misunderstood what I was saying.

when i said basic service I'm talking about when you DO have therapists of equal education/experience/techniques they can still have different work scenarios that can cause them to charge differently.

Choice Kinchen said:
I don't believe that massage is the SAME basic service...no matter where it's practiced. The different modalities and different techniques/attitudes/education of therapists should not lend itself to be put under such a broad category. Maybe that's why I would never compare what I do to a fast food place. All burgers are not the same basic burger. Fast food burgers are cheap and really aren't that good.
Hi Choice, I can totally understand your frustration with the lowest price in town massage. From my experience (9years) I have found that people have left me for a cheaper massage.. and thats is exactly what they get (most of the time) a not so good massage. Just for the record I am not saying the massage therapist was not so good, these are comments from my clients that the massage felt cheap.
The clients almost always have come back to me because they say they feel like they are taken care of , it radiates through my hands and the experience being a LMP.
I love to educate, spoil and pamper my clients- warm towels , heating pad, warm stones and aromatherapy in my massage. I'm not suggesting you can do that with chair massage, just putting out there how I take care of my clients. Word of mouth has been my best advertisement to date. :) Cheers to you Choice

Marla

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service