massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

Since being on this site I have discovered that we all fight stereo-typing of our chosen profession.  We all work/study to the highest level of our professional ability.  I was professionally offended by the commercial of Danica and the massage therapist.  It wasn't funny to me.  As a woman their commercials are disturbing, but now godaddy has picked my/our profession.

I have sent a complaint to godaddy.com and I am wondering what everyone else thinks of this portrayal?

Did it bother you?   How many of your clients will bring it up?  Or was it just advertising?

THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED TO DISCUSSION.   THE FINAL DATE OF THE PETITION IS FEBRUARY 15, 2010.   THANK YOU TO EVERYONE THAT PARTICIPATED.

Views: 1042

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

If you know that most of America does not view massage therapists as a bunch of hoochy-dancers in wet tank tops, then why worry about it? You can't be something to everyone. I'm as professional as anyone else.....after all, I'm a male therapist in the Salt Lake City area....but I'm not so wrapped up in the serious blanket as some.

There are numerous ads out there, portraying males, females and other professions as something we might not agree with. It is what is. I can only worry about what I can do.
I'm with you there Terry. No worries.
The next thing you know there will be an MT Barbie!!!! (or Donut-Eating Cope Barbie) ;)

Choice Kinchen said:
If you know that most of America does not view massage therapists as a bunch of hoochy-dancers in wet tank tops, then why worry about it? You can't be something to everyone. I'm as professional as anyone else.....after all, I'm a male therapist in the Salt Lake City area....but I'm not so wrapped up in the serious blanket as some.
There are numerous ads out there, portraying males, females and other professions as something we might not agree with. It is what is. I can only worry about what I can do.
I watched the featured video and the video with professional golfer Ana Rawson and have come to the following conclusions. The massage video wasn't putting down massage per say nor denigrating it by implying a sexual connotation so it wasn't offensive to me. Actually it was in a way promoting the need for massage. Since I'm also a golf pro the one about golf was just kind of silly, but not offensive. Go Daddy uses pretty women in their ads to get attention and it works. I agree with Lisa and Marilyn about not taking this incident too seriously. But that's just me.
Terry
I happen to agree with you.
We are professionals and we need to speak up if something doesn't feel right.

For almost 25 years I have been changing the image of massage. Many "newbies" probably don't realize what us veterans had to put up with many many years ago. Maybe the men don't have to deal with the innuendos the females do???? Don't know for sure.

And quite honestly, there ARE still many that think we are "a little bit more"

While I personally don't have problems in my practice, I do understand the need for this profession to be represented as a health care profession. You don't see them doing a commercial with a nurse or surgeon or physical therapist stripping off their clothing and dancing sensually.

I did enjoy her falling into the pool ;).

And did anyone bother to notice, the lady laying on the table wasn't really pleased with the idea of now having the massage from this type of therapist.?

I agree with Laura, we work hard to change the stereotype image massage did and can still have.

It is amazing to me that so many TV shows etc., take cheap shots at massage therapists. There is no need for this. While I am not offended on a personal level, I do not feel we should stand for anything less than professional ism in advertising or TV shows.

So, yes I did write go daddy.

Terry Capuano said:
Not worried about it Choice- I am choosing to protest it. Of course you are professional. If I implied otherwise, I apologize to you. I come from the school of if you don't like something, then do something about it. And the point of the question was how do other MT's feel about about the ad? I am learning by reading. All opinions are welcome. That whole freedom of speech thing you know.
I am going to take a petition or list signatures of massage professionals upset by the portrayal of massage therapy in this commercial personally to their office. I found out I live nearby.

Sign Here - GoDaddy / "Massage" Commercial

Feel free to invite others to sign.

While I agree that it was great to see someone getting a massage on TV, I feel it does more damage than good. Sure it may make some clients remember to call you to schedule a massage, but it could also make some the many, many people who have not tried massage therapy hold back because of preconceived ideas which were depicted in this commercial.

Thanks,
Ivy Hultquist
Advanced Massage Techniques
I just hit on the site to view the commercial.They have a 5 question survey on it to see how you feel about it.
Did anyone else see this?
Peace,Emma
No, maybe they added it later in the day.

Here's my blog on the topic:

http://massagecareers.blogspot.com/2010/02/representing-massage-ind...

Emma Torsey said:
I just hit on the site to view the commercial.They have a 5 question survey on it to see how you feel about it.
Peace,Emma
I did Emma and I responded to it as well.

Emma Torsey said:
Peace,Emma
Thank you for representing us all!

Ivy Hultquist said:
I am going to take a petition or list signatures of massage professionals upset by the portrayal of massage therapy in this commercial personally to their office. I found out I live nearby.

While I agree that it was great to see someone getting a massage on TV, I feel it does more damage than good. Sure it may make some clients remember to call you to schedule a massage, but it could also make some the many, many people who have not tried massage therapy hold back because of preconceived ideas which were depicted in this commercial.

Thanks,
Ivy Hultquist
Thanks Ivy for stepping up and doing something.
I have posted it around for you too!

Hey maybe I will meet you when I come to Iowa to teach CE's this spring.

Ivy Hultquist said:

Thanks,
Ivy Hultquist
Signed, posted on my FB page, and commented on an author's blog in which she rants about the gender stereotypes in the SB ads.

Ivy Hultquist said:

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service