massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

Since being on this site I have discovered that we all fight stereo-typing of our chosen profession.  We all work/study to the highest level of our professional ability.  I was professionally offended by the commercial of Danica and the massage therapist.  It wasn't funny to me.  As a woman their commercials are disturbing, but now godaddy has picked my/our profession.

I have sent a complaint to godaddy.com and I am wondering what everyone else thinks of this portrayal?

Did it bother you?   How many of your clients will bring it up?  Or was it just advertising?

THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED TO DISCUSSION.   THE FINAL DATE OF THE PETITION IS FEBRUARY 15, 2010.   THANK YOU TO EVERYONE THAT PARTICIPATED.

Views: 1042

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

i can't stop until i change everyone to think like me. :)

Choice Kinchen said:
I think everyone understands and respects the differing opinions here. I think it has been a very healthy discussion. I love dialogs like this. You can learn a lot about people and their thought process. I don't think anyone is making fun of what people are doing. It has been enlightening and insightful. I think people can give it a rest when they so desire. No one is forcing any of us to keep coming back and participating.

I made my comments in order to lighten up the discussion. I'm hoping most people see that way. If you know me, I don't always wear the serious blanket all the time like some. I thought it was a PERFECT use of my time.
Choice, you say it so well !...... now you go try them heels on I've changed my mind about nominating Chriss.

Choice Kinchen said:
I think everyone understands and respects the differing opinions here. I think it has been a very healthy discussion. I love dialogs like this. You can learn a lot about people and their thought process. I don't think anyone is making fun of what people are doing. It has been enlightening and insightful. I think people can give it a rest when they so desire. No one is forcing any of us to keep coming back and participating.

I made my comments in order to lighten up the discussion. I'm hoping most people see that way. If you know me, I don't always wear the serious blanket all the time like some. I thought it was a PERFECT use of my time.
But if we didn't comment (as we were invited to ) then no-one would know our veiws and wee'd be sat at home biteing our tounges ...........thanks Terry

Vlad said:
Wish you guys would give this a rest, you know.

I didn't get upset about the ad - there are worse things out there, but isn't it time that you guys realized that people have different levels of what is acceptable to them and respect them and their actions?

I'm glad people are taking action. Why don't you guys start doing something about some of the aspects that might get on your nerves instead of making of fun of what people have chosen to do? It might be a better use of your time.
I went through my wearing high heels phase some years ago. It all started on a postural assesment course, I felt the only way I could connect with/understand WHY anyone would willingly subject themselves to this foot crushing torture deserved to be "understood ".............unfortunately I still don't "get it"

I am now resolved that nomatter the damage done after a night in killer heels (all my hard work destroyed) it is somehow perfectly justifyable. aint that right ladies ? :)
Awesome! Thank you for passing this on.

Gloria Coppola said:
Bodhi Haraldssen also posted this on Face Book
How to ditch Go Daddy

http://smarterware.org/5117/how-to-ditch-godaddy-redux
Lisa said:
please find me ONE MT that can share a story of a "bad" session because of that commercial.

Direct correlation may not be possible. However, it contributes to an overall poor image of our profession . . . /does/ lead to bad session.

if you're gonna get up in arms about that...best you hang up your MT hat and put your political one on, since there are many worse things that affect our profession than a commercial...like for instance the Kockouts that promote massage to men done by beautiful women, the Massage Envy therapist that raped a woman and the Craigslist therapist murder.

Just because there are other bad things that negatively affect our profession doesn't mean that this one is not worth paying attention to.
all this is doing is encouraging GoDaddy to do another. it is in no way going to change the way they market themselves. We (MTs) have sent more people to that video clip and web site than probably the superbowl. so i'm not sure how that really helps our profession.

Erica Olson said:
Lisa said:
please find me ONE MT that can share a story of a "bad" session because of that commercial.

Direct correlation may not be possible. However, it contributes to an overall poor image of our profession . . . /does/ lead to bad session.

if you're gonna get up in arms about that...best you hang up your MT hat and put your political one on, since there are many worse things that affect our profession than a commercial...like for instance the Kockouts that promote massage to men done by beautiful women, the Massage Envy therapist that raped a woman and the Craigslist therapist murder.

Just because there are other bad things that negatively affect our profession doesn't mean that this one is not worth paying attention to.
*shrug* You stated earlier that there's no bad PR. Personally, I've been bothered by their marketing due to gender issues for quite some time. I also have some extreme distaste for Parson's personal philosophy regarding prisoners and torture. (Which I just discovered due to Gloria re-posting Bodhi's link about how to get out of GoDaddy's contract.) The Superbowl ad is just the icing on the cake--or the proverbial straw, to be more accurate. So I'm protesting not just by signing a petition, but with my pocketbook.

Lisa said:
all this is doing is encouraging GoDaddy to do another. it is in no way going to change the way they market themselves. We (MTs) have sent more people to that video clip and web site than probably the superbowl. so i'm not sure how that really helps our profession.

Not to hijack this thread....but I wonder how come there is no uproar over the way our imprisoned troops are treated by the terrorists? I have 2 sons in the Army, so tread lightly on this one.
Choice,
I hope that your 2 sons are safe and I pray that they will come home safe, I hope that everyone is thankful for their service. Actually I have had the privilege of knowing massage therapist as being in a military branch, as well as they are here on this site. By the way if you happen to be one of those thank-you for your service. I certainly do not believe the treatment of our soldiers by the enemy is being taken lightly by anyone here. There seems to be so much going on with superbowl ads and our profession being distorted by different sources that people put their time elsewhere, and not to ignore the military, but we also need to help our military keep a certain amount of good ethics here at home so that when they do get home they can say that their time was not waisted. Peace Travis
Choice Kinchen said:
Not to hijack this thread....but I wonder how come there is no uproar over the way our imprisoned troops are treated by the terrorists? I have 2 sons in the Army, so tread lightly on this one.
FYI, NameSecure has been my domain host for 5 years or so; great service, $8.95/year.
has it dawned on anyone that the only reason a massage scenario was being depicted in the first place was because it IS getting more and more in the mainstream of thought. That massage IS growing and evolving and becoming what everyone wants it to become. GoDaddy wouldn't have bothered using such a scenario to "poke fun of" if it wasn't of any interest to anyone. so again...i say Thank you GoDaddy.

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service