massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

Since being on this site I have discovered that we all fight stereo-typing of our chosen profession.  We all work/study to the highest level of our professional ability.  I was professionally offended by the commercial of Danica and the massage therapist.  It wasn't funny to me.  As a woman their commercials are disturbing, but now godaddy has picked my/our profession.

I have sent a complaint to godaddy.com and I am wondering what everyone else thinks of this portrayal?

Did it bother you?   How many of your clients will bring it up?  Or was it just advertising?

THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED TO DISCUSSION.   THE FINAL DATE OF THE PETITION IS FEBRUARY 15, 2010.   THANK YOU TO EVERYONE THAT PARTICIPATED.

Views: 1042

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

i honestly don't see that if it had been a doctor depicted that the AMA would actually care.

and on a personal note...that'd be a GREAT GoDaddy commercial. :) but then again, I'd want it to be a male doctor taking off his cloths. :) of course...i don't think it would make me run into the doctor's office looking for more than an examination.

Terry Capuano said:
Lisa - That massage therapy and the need for a massage was brought to the public attention via the ad would have been great if done so in another manner. How it and we were depicted is not so great. I am asking myself if godaddy had depicted a doctor instead of a massage therapist would they have been portrayed a MD in that manner? Would the AMA take it lightly as just a joke? And do our associations (AMTA -ABMP - NCTMB) have any thoughts on this portrayal of our profession? I think I will ask them.
Thanks for reposting Terry; I saw a couple of my local friends had signed.

We are told there may be snow here in Tucson tomorrow morning!
Terry,
Excellent job !! Great thread. I say wear it out, only If it was mine, BUT I might anyway. Peace

Terry Capuano said:
Friday at last - so we have a lot of new members this week - Welcome. If you are looking through the forums - sorting out what topics have come up recently - there is a petition here (link in the above post) - created by Ivy Hultquist (Thank You and again WOW - Warrior) where you can send a message re: How our profession was presented in a commercial by godaddy. Link in, read the comments, follow your head and your heart.

If I have not thanked you personally for commenting, I am doing so now - Thank You. If you chose to sign the petition - Thank you. If you chose not to sign the petition - I respect that.

On a personal note - this was my first thread. When I came on this site I remember thinking I would never put one up. Couldn't think of anything I wanted to say. My thanks to that ad for helping me find my voice. I promise to use it sparingly, but then again.........lol
Use it, at will, Terry!

Terry Capuano said:
Friday at last - so we have a lot of new members this week - Welcome. If you are looking through the forums - sorting out what topics have come up recently - there is a petition here (link in the above post) - created by Ivy Hultquist (Thank You and again WOW - Warrior) where you can send a message re: How our profession was presented in a commercial by godaddy. Link in, read the comments, follow your head and your heart.

If I have not thanked you personally for commenting, I am doing so now - Thank You. If you chose to sign the petition - Thank you. If you chose not to sign the petition - I respect that.

On a personal note - this was my first thread. When I came on this site I remember thinking I would never put one up. Couldn't think of anything I wanted to say. My thanks to that ad for helping me find my voice. I promise to use it sparingly, but then again.........lol
Terry said
"On a personal note - this was my first thread. When I came on this site I remember thinking I would never put one up. Couldn't think of anything I wanted to say. My thanks to that ad for helping me find my voice. I promise to use it sparingly, but then again.........lol"

Good job you didn't just bite your tongue :)
Thank you everyone who has participated in this one. At least godaddy knows how we feel. Maybe they will think twice before they smear the next profession.
Smear might be a bit much, imo. In this day of instant gratification and "what have you done for me today" thought process, the profession might have taken a small, though brief, hit. I doubt the wall will come crashing down on our profession.
agreed. and i hate that the petition seems like it represents the MT profession as a whole when it doesn't. Not all of us think it was a big deal, but unfortunately ours is less vocal. or just don't see the need to spend our valuable time on it.

Choice Kinchen said:
Smear might be a bit much, imo. In this day of instant gratification and "what have you done for me today" thought process, the profession might have taken a small, though brief, hit. I doubt the wall will come crashing down on our profession.
Are we going to start flogging this dead horse again?

Lisa said:
agreed. and i hate that the petition seems like it represents the MT profession as a whole when it doesn't. Not all of us think it was a big deal, but unfortunately ours is less vocal. or just don't see the need to spend our valuable time on it.

Choice Kinchen said:
Neeeeiigggghhh * snort* *snort*

But then again ? Do you like Dr Nortons version Erica ? = Musical interlude

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CjMAoC3KIA
i guess it depends on who wants/has the last say. :) can't help but want to comment when a new comment is made that claims to speak for all of us as a collective. it's in my nature. i'm a Libra. :)

Erica Olson said:
Are we going to start flogging this dead horse again?

Lisa said:

Choice Kinchen said:
Now you're going to get me started on astrology? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Hitch'em up Tonto, we're heading out. :)

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service