massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

I was wondering if I should even comment about this.. But I will.. Because I'm really bothered by it..And I run into similar situations often enough.. My last client yesterday.  She was Im guessing about fifty years old...She was very depressed looking.. Tired looking...She told me she had fibromyalgia(how do you spell it?) .   I asked  her were she hurt... She said both her arms are constantly aching. And her back hurts...She made it clear that her arms were her biggest problem.. She told me that she has had six months of deep tissue massage one to two times a  week and still not better..Talking to her further, she told me that she feels worse after the massages, and that they are so painful...She just wants to relax today...Someone gave her a gift certificate for a massage at the spa where I work... I did a complete trigger point scan..Found a trigger point in her left SI joint...a left side L4 spinal erector TP.. A really bad painful one in her Latissimus dorsi (edge of shoulder blade) on her left...One in her infraspinatus (another bad one)on her left.  And a really bad( when I say bad, I mean sore as hell) supraspinatus TP on her right side. Also a right side pectoralis TP.. She told me nobody palpated those Latissimus, infraspinatus or supraspinatus TPs before?   Long story short...I eliminated those trigger points..Wasnt painful either...She was unbelievably happy after her hour session yesterday. She couldnt believe her arms didnt hurt...... She rescheduled for another massage in four days...I will recheck her ..Im sure some of those TPs will come back..But her problem is over with...Another session or two will be about it.. Im just shocked.. All she was told by the docs was that she had fibromylagia or however you spell it, and all this massage that did  nothing for six months.!!!. My gawd???  I didnt want to know who was treating her...They obviously didnt know what they were doing... I cant believe it...She is going to be well here real soon..Her problem is simple.  Those people treating her in  must live in some kind of fantasy world?  Certainly not in reality.. So obviously easy... She had to quit because it was getting too expansive.  She told me that she paid $55.00 for each massage...I keep saying it.....But this massage education system we got going better stop teaching for the tests..Cause this is the result.

Views: 1765

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

PALPATE and feel the lines of resistance/tension. Congratulations on helping someone to improve their life. You don't even need to know the names of muscles, ailments, medical treatments if you have learned to really feel.

The real problem is that people actually listen to what others tell them about their own bodies even in the face of bad results.

Yea I know...People don't know their own bodies....It just sets everything up for useless, sham, and unnecessary treatments...And for these mill offices to keep up and running...Its not like Im some great massage therapist or anything...They never palpated where she was sore??..Even after six months of massage!!!! ?...But yea...If I was her(my client).  I would know where I was sore.. hmm   ...Ok, well, another work day begins.....You guys have a great day!!!

Daniel Cohen said:

PALPATE and feel the lines of resistance/tension. Congratulations on helping someone to improve their life. You don't even need to know the names of muscles, ailments, medical treatments if you have learned to really feel.

The real problem is that people actually listen to what others tell them about their own bodies even in the face of bad results.

I have some clients who are really in tune with their bodies and others that have no clue.  I'm not judging them - usually they have so many issues that they've tuned everything out in self-defense.  But they are challenging because it's hard to know what the actual issues are.  I ask a lot of seemingly unrelated questions and get good information that way.

Daniel - the gentle oscillations you told me about were great!  It was a really effective way to feel where the tension was.  I do CranioSacral Therapy so I have a lot of training in different ways to feel tension or issues - but for several reasons I'm not personally to a point where I'm that tuned in with each client.  It's getting easier though!  It's a journey for us too.

I wish they would stop teaching just so we could pass the state tests too.  Because I just finished school a few months back and I feel like I know NOTHING!  Frustrating for me and I am sure for my clients.

I would love to know where you learned how to do your trigger point work.  How do you do a complete trigger point scan?  And how do you pain free trigger point release when you find them? 

One problem as hours for curriculum lengthen is that they throw a week of many different modalities into the course. THe idea is that this exposes you to the variety of massage. Previously and still at the smaller schools the emphasis was on Swedish and learning the pattern thoroughly. From an education stand point the result is confusion and knowing a little about everything and nothing in depth. The skills get mixed and before you have had a chance to learn one and see how to feel with it you get another. This is poor educational development in a skill of sensory development.

As for TP look for the nearest CE classes being taught. A google search will turn up many as this is popular now.

Jimswife said:

I wish they would stop teaching just so we could pass the state tests too.  Because I just finished school a few months back and I feel like I know NOTHING!  Frustrating for me and I am sure for my clients.

I would love to know where you learned how to do your trigger point work.  How do you do a complete trigger point scan?  And how do you pain free trigger point release when you find them? 

I agree with you, Daniel. My school offered two to three four-hour classes on the following: chair massage, prenatal and infant massage, reflexology, trigger point therapy, neuromuscular technique, PNF, positional release, myofascial release, sports massage... and probably a handful of others I've forgotten. Even with clinic/practicum hours, I don't feel like I got enough practical experience integrating any, much less ALL, of these modalities. Meanwhile, the school's Swedish routine was drilled into us for many, many more hours -- and there were still areas that weren't covered at all (i.e. the SITS muscles on the scapula). I love to learn, but I just don't have the budget and time to take CE courses -- that's why I tried to get the most out of my schooling before they threw me to the wolves. But, hey, at least I can give a nice Swedish massage, right? (/sarcasm)

Daniel Cohen said:

One problem as hours for curriculum lengthen is that they throw a week of many different modalities into the course. THe idea is that this exposes you to the variety of massage. Previously and still at the smaller schools the emphasis was on Swedish and learning the pattern thoroughly. From an education stand point the result is confusion and knowing a little about everything and nothing in depth. The skills get mixed and before you have had a chance to learn one and see how to feel with it you get another. This is poor educational development in a skill of sensory development.

As for TP look for the nearest CE classes being taught. A google search will turn up many as this is popular now.

Jimswife said:

When I went to school in Hawaii, I studied only Shiatsu massage.. That was it...Thats all I knew when I got licensed.. But I studied that for eight months..

Bethany Ingraham said:

I agree with you, Daniel. My school offered two to three four-hour classes on the following: chair massage, prenatal and infant massage, reflexology, trigger point therapy, neuromuscular technique, PNF, positional release, myofascial release, sports massage... and probably a handful of others I've forgotten. Even with clinic/practicum hours, I don't feel like I got enough practical experience integrating any, much less ALL, of these modalities. Meanwhile, the school's Swedish routine was drilled into us for many, many more hours -- and there were still areas that weren't covered at all (i.e. the SITS muscles on the scapula). I love to learn, but I just don't have the budget and time to take CE courses -- that's why I tried to get the most out of my schooling before they threw me to the wolves. But, hey, at least I can give a nice Swedish massage, right? (/sarcasm)

Daniel Cohen said:

Jimswife said:

Gosh you said that just right Daniel..Anyway, as far as trigger points go..Check out this link. http://kenthealth.com/      A complete trigger point scan is my term.  Its part of my approach to trigger point work.  Basically I check out the entire body or section of the body for trigger points before I start the massage..And gear the massage accordingly... I do that if someone is specifically seeing me because they are in  pain.

Daniel Cohen said:

Jimswife said:

http://www.amazon.com/Trigger-Point-Myofascial-Therapy-DVD/dp/15564...       This would be a good start as far as getting a handle on trigger points. 

Gordon J. Wallis said:

Gosh you said that just right Daniel..Anyway, as far as trigger points go..Check out this link. http://kenthealth.com/      A complete trigger point scan is my term.  Its part of my approach to trigger point work. Basically I check out the entire body or section of the body for trigger points before I start the massage..And gear the massage accordingly... I do that if someone is specifically seeing me because they are in  pain.

Daniel Cohen said:

Jimswife said:

Her therapist obviously had never studied TPs so it didn't occur to him/her to look for them.  The therapist of course should have the training, but was just ignorant of that modality. Maybe you could get the name of the therapist and contact that person, and tell him/her that you really helped the client with TP therapy, and gently suggest where the therapist could get training. I'm sure the therapist would be relieved to hear that the client is better and grateful for your suggestion.

I'd have to call her Medical Doctor, Chiropractor, Physical therapist, as well.   Considering everyone I see... It would be constant phone calls trying to tell people about trigger points.  From what I have experienced doing this kind of work for a long time now is that the vast majority of people with chronic pain have painful trigger points causing or aggravating their pain.  And its just not me saying it.  Travells research indicated to her that 85% of all pain syndromes are directly caused by trigger points.. And that 95% of all pain syndromes trigger points are involved..  So almost everyone that sees me with any kind of pain problem has trigger points...And there are many many many people(clients,Patients) getting all kinds of the wrong pain therapy.  Because a lot of health care providers give no time to them( trigger points) or are really aware of them in the first place, and that includes more then enough massage therapists to.  A long time ago I accidentally cured a Medical Doctor of his back pain....I didn't know what I did..He didn't know what was wrong with himself  .. Either did his orthopedic friends and physical therapist friend.. But my robotic beginner shiatsu massage cured him.. lol    Well I know why now.. I accidentally eliminated trigger points along his spinal erectors with my shiatsu massage... Shortly after I massaged that doctor I read Myofacial Pain and Dysfunction the Trigger Point Manual by Travell and Simmons.....Ive focused on trigger points sense then.  And I have more then noticed that the other health care professions, as well as many massage therapists haven't......Now thats not to say you have to know trigger points to be a good therapist, or be able to help someone with your massage work.. Because obviously when I gave that shiatsu massage I had no clue about trigger points. But if you know.  You can help a lot of people, really fast.. Not everyone, but a lot.  In my opinion, a great deal more time needs to be spent on the significance of trigger points in massage school.. And how to eliminate them without brutalizing the client or patient.  If this career field wants recognition ..I talk all the time to a lot of people about trigger points...Its pretty much all I talk about in here too...I'm excited to go to work every day because I know that there is a very good chance that someone will come in with pain that they think they have to live with forever(doesn't matter what diagnosis they have been told either)...A very good chance...After the massage  They walk out without it ,or are significantly better( at least 50%).   Here is a copy of that letter...The significance of the letter is that Trigger points were unknown to everyone involved with that doctors painful condition...And all(not counting me) were highly educated health care professionals...Things haven't changed that much.

Julia Morrow said:

Her therapist obviously had never studied TPs so it didn't occur to him/her to look for them.  The therapist of course should have the training, but was just ignorant of that modality. Maybe you could get the name of the therapist and contact that person, and tell him/her that you really helped the client with TP therapy, and gently suggest where the therapist could get training. I'm sure the therapist would be relieved to hear that the client is better and grateful for your suggestion.

Attachments:

As a follow up..  I saw that lady again today on a follow up visit..Her pain is completely gone now...After one massage session....No more radiating pain down her arms..She is very happy. Really Big smile when she saw me... I questioned her more about her therapy prior to seeing me last week.. She was getting massage from physical therapists in a very busy clinic..  And she got those massages twice a week for three months(not six) with no improvement at all in her condition!!!  Insurance was paying for it,but her part was $55.00 a session!... That whole physical therapy clinic obviously doesnt know what a trigger point is.. Trigger points in the infraspinatus muscle refers pain down the arms.  She had them in a big way when I saw her last week.. But they are gone now.. So is her pain..She was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Gawd how often have I heard that?  You say the word trigger point to anyone that does bodyworker..  and they all claim to know.. But they dont..they really dont... Im always , almost every day, fixing people that should of been helped a long time ago.  Its amazing to me.. Its like my major source of income now. The above lady just referred me two of her friends that have been dealing with pain problems for months with no relief from the therapies they are getting... Im sure there are trigger points involved.. Usually so.   Its like That movie Ground Hogs Day... Same thing over and over again.  Truth remains hidden.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service