massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

While browsing spa websites I ran across the following description in their menu of services:

“A 90-minute massage allows time for a full body massage with some extra work in two areas of tension. It is also a good choice for larger individuals who have pain, as they may need more time than smaller individuals to receive a massage.”

I don't know if this struck me the wrong way because I'm one of those "larger individuals" or if others find it offensive.  I've never felt the need to book additional time because of my size.  I've worked on individuals of all sizes and I don't think I would ever imply my larger ones should book a 90 minute session.  Your thoughts please.  Thanks.

Views: 672

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think that we should not mention the body sizes of our clients in our conversations or websites.  Would this website suggest if a client is under 100 lbs, they only to book a half hour? The length of a massage is decision is best made by the client on any given day. 

Hi,

I do understand you but I think this is not so offending they don't mean it that way. On what I see it, they just want to emphasize that a 90-minute massage would really work for those who are in the larger built and massages would really depends on a person body built. Yet, it's still your decision if you want to add more time than usual depending on the level of stress or pain you have.

Mike

massage business

Gosh a couple days ago I massaged a guy that was 6'5" and well over 300lb....Im  5'6 and 136lb... lol    Its hard work compared to massaging a 100lb female...However, thats how it is...I just massage until the time is up regardless of size or weight. Unfortunately or fortunately the 6'5" guy loved it, and is now a regular once a month client...dang.

Mat work makes muscled over 6'3" guys easy. Lomilomi Wawae (foot) compression techniques or Maori Mirimiri is a very easy way to work on them within the usual time. 

Gordon J. Wallis said:

Gosh a couple days ago I massaged a guy that was 6'5" and well over 300lb....Im  5'6 and 136lb... lol    Its hard work compared to massaging a 100lb female...However, thats how it is...I just massage until the time is up regardless of size or weight. Unfortunately or fortunately the 6'5" guy loved it, and is now a regular once a month client...dang.

It just makes sense that if there is more area to cover and the muscle tissue is larger, then the massage will be different, and may take longer of more pressure may have to be applied...I don't see what the big deal is really

As a larger person I may find that phrasing offensive, however I can see the attempt at logic behind it. I will say that when it comes to pain, size doesn't always matter. I suppose larger clients may have pain associated with being larger, but I don't think it takes more time to treat those clients than it does to treat smaller clients. If more time is needed for larger clients then maybe time isn't being utilized very well. I don't finish early on small people and get done late with large people. I use the same time for all different body types, pain patterns and stress levels. Maybe this therapist should go back to school if they can't relax someone and relieve their pain in the time the client paid for.

I'd also like to say that I went in search of that particular phrasing on the internet because you didn't post the site it came from. I believe it has been taken down since the original post. I found the original source but somehow I can't find the phrase on the site, even though google says it's there. I think this forum may have had something to do with it coming down. :)

Nope, it's still there :)

Why are people so easily ready to look for offense?  If I am a larger person..then that's what I am. To me it is more offensive for people to try and find the "right phraseology" because they feel that someone cannot accept the truth about who they are or they assume a larger person doesn't feel good about themselves. I have never had a problem getting a client to relax based on their size...that's all about their ability to feel safe and relaxed themselves..sometimes you get a client that is incapable of relaxing or they relax in a way that is not recognizable to the therapist. To say there is no difference to the therapist when they get a certain kind of client doesn't seem to in the realm of reality. Each session is customized to a certain degree and the build of the client bears weight in the approach. Sometimes a very large person takes longer just because of the logistics of the table.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service