massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

I don’t think the ancient Chinese looked at meridians as being invisible vessels with a mysterious energy flowing through them.  I think they were talking real anatomy.  Muscle chains with blood flowing through them.  What do you think?

Views: 696

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Western research has been done by Dr Helene Langevin & her research team/s that show that, Yes, fascial lines follow what Chinese medicine calls Meridians. Langevin brought her research information up at the Fascia Conference in 2007.

Here's an interview of Dr Langevin speaking on fascia and Acupuncture needles affecting the nervous system via fascia and pain receptors: https://www.liberatedbody.com/podcast/helene-langevin-lbp-049

I read that article.  I have to disagree with a lot of it.  I know the author of that article has credentials that I don’t.  All I’m going to say is this.  If you look at meridians as muscle chains instead of facial lines.  It changes things radically.  

Gordon- There's no article to read. It's an audio interview.

Yes, you are correct. You don't seem to have research credentials, although you seem to have an inquisitive mind.

Again, there is NO SEPARATION between fascia and muscles. When you can grasp that concept, "things" will change radically.

Not really arguing with you.  But muscle tissue has a far greater contractile force then fascia. The contractile force of fascia, for all practical purposes is irrelevant.  You get a much more profound effect by releasing contracted muscle tissue.  You can see muscle and fascia as one, and that’s fine.  But there are a plethora of leading educators in our field that only talk about releasing fascia.  The techniques they teach supposedly release fascia?    It’s far more efficient and effective to focus on releasing tight contracted muscle tissue. The focus, changes the techniques, as well as the efficiency and effectiveness of the therapy.  These are just my thoughts and comments. I’ve been working in this field for over thirty years. I just think there is a lot of misguided focus, especially when dealing with pain, if you only think fascia.  

I was under the mistaken assumption, based on the graphics and words that you used above, that you were making an inquiry into whether Meridians and Fascial Lines are similar/follow similar routes in the body.

I did not say that fascia has equal contractile properties to muscle.

I am suggesting that the laboratory research cited in the above link suggests that Deep and Superficial Fascial Lines likely follow the Meridians of Chinese medicine; that nothing in the body is separate from other areas, except spatially.

(Have you ever looked into what a 'ghost heart' looks like? Pretty interesting!)

Kit, what I’m trying to say is that everyone is thinking fascia, and fascial lines.  I’m thinking muscle, and muscle chains instead.  Because the system that I’ve discovered is meridian based, and eliminates pain immediately.  

Uhm.... Without me googling it... What’s a ‘ghost heart’ ?

Gordon-  A 'ghost heart' is a heart of which the muscles are extracted, and the fascia/mesoderm is left intact. Easy enough to find in images. ALSO, the char that you used above if the Deep Frint Line, from Tom Meyers's Anatomy Trains charts.)

You may find this talk on fascia (& proprioception) by Jaap Van der Wal interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP81apG2eHQ

Again, this is what I think.  I don’t mean to come in here and tell people what to think.  It’s my opinion.   But all this talk about fascia, although interesting, as far as I can tell, has no real practical value.  At least for the work I do.  

As an example,  I had a client  with limited forward flextion in her neck.  Very limited range of motion when she looked down.  It caused pain in her mid to lower back.  She had been dealing with this for a few months.  Doctors through diagnostic imaging could find no structural problems that would validate her pain and limited range of motion. She had been going to physical therapists and put on an exercise and stretching regimen.  With no results.  I found a couple noticeable trigger points in her mid thoracic paraspinals, and a couple more in her upper lumbar  paraspinals.  

After the session all her symptoms were gone. Forward flextion was dramatically increased with no pain what so ever.  

So did I release fascia? Probably not.  I did deactivate four trigger points though, and because of that, they were no longer shortening those back muscle chains(as pictured above)which limited her forward flextion and caused her pain when she looked down.  

The only reason I’m commenting about it in here is because I meet massage therapists, and physical therapists, all the time that are always talking about releasing fascia when it comes to helping clients/patients out of pain.  I also meet therapists that tell me there are no such things as trigger points, and give me scientific papers telling me such.

The medical doctors I work with, in a pain clinic, as far as I know... Have no procedure or protocal for stuck fascia(even though there maybe such a thing?).  But they do a lot of trigger point injections.  

The procedures I’ve discovered are truly amazing.  This person has had a lot of bodywork in the past.  As well as other interventions.  Now I don’t know if it’s totally over for her, but....the video speaks for itself.   It’s connected to this thread because she had multiple trigger points on her BL meridian.  This is really cool.

https://youtu.be/RpsajwbqyIk

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service