massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

ok...i've redesigned my card and logo and am really happy with how it came out. and of course welcome all feedback.

in designing a card (and then subsequent collateral) you want your "look" to immediately capture the attention of your target market. for me I want to work with athletes/fitness clients as well as relaxation clients. the biggest stumbling block was trying to incorporate both imagery into one look. when we think of relaxation we think candles, oils, someone on the table completely relaxed. when we think athletic a completely different image comes to mind. so my goal was to incorporate both.

as for colors...i am a true believer that your color scheme should respresent your spirit. i love warm colors and earthy tones.

as for content...it should be clear, concise and organized.

so fire away at me...on my card as well as post up yours if you'd like me to give a suggestion or two. :)

Views: 1042

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Laura,

I can't really make out what the image is on the right. but from what i can see it seems it has all the right info listed.

Laura Allen said:

Everyone in my office uses the same card, with their own name on it.
Hi Christina...

I can't see specifically the info since the image is small. but graphically it looks nice. simple yet soothing. and the information looks organized. i like the look of the different direction of text that goes on in your card.

Christina Brannan, LMT said:
Marissa Macias said:
Mine is from vista print. I'm looking to get a new one, so I'll have to ask your opinion later.

This is my card from Vista Print...it represents the color of my Massage Studio! I mention on my card also, to visit my website, this way they can get to know more about the therapist on their own, considering I work still part time building my Massage Clients. So this card works for me while I work a job! :)

Hey J. Arnaldo,

One suggestion i have is with the blue card. put all your info in the white space to the right of the image and let the image stand alone by itself. right now both image and text are competing.

J. Arnaldo Pabon said:
Well i use like three or four differet, but here I put two.
P.S. your card is awsome, i love your logo.

Lisa, you've already seen mine in the website discussion, but thought I'd post it here. Maybe it'll help give other folks some ideas.

Other feedback, anyone?
This is a big issue! I would recommend that even if you do outcalls, you still put some sort of contact address. Here is my reasoning: I refer to other therapists all the time. I have a vast collection, probably at least 1000, of business cards of other therapists that I have gotten from people all over the country during travels and conventions. I keep them in a card file that is organized alphabetically by the name of the town. When one of my clients says, "I'm moving to _______, or visiting ______", I make an effort to find them someone. If there is no address on your card, it isn't going to be you!

Liz said:
Hi Lisa - I had another thought...I don't see an address on your card and am just curious as to why you decided not to add it?
I couldn't figure out how to put the full-size image on here. It's a hand with light pouring into it. All of our brochures etc match it.

Lisa said:
Hey Laura,

I can't really make out what the image is on the right. but from what i can see it seems it has all the right info listed.

Laura Allen said:

Everyone in my office uses the same card, with their own name on it.
Hey Laura,

As much as i can understand your reasoning...i think one also has to protect themselves when we are working out of our homes. it's one thing to put your address out there on a card when you have a place but when it's your home i think there has to be some precautions. plus i have found most people have been contacting me via email anyhow. anyone else have thoughts on this?

Laura Allen said:
This is a big issue! I would recommend that even if you do outcalls, you still put some sort of contact address. Here is my reasoning: I refer to other therapists all the time. I have a vast collection, probably at least 1000, of business cards of other therapists that I have gotten from people all over the country during travels and conventions. I keep them in a card file that is organized alphabetically by the name of the town. When one of my clients says, "I'm moving to _______, or visiting ______", I make an effort to find them someone. If there is no address on your card, it isn't going to be you!

Liz said:
Hi Lisa - I had another thought...I don't see an address on your card and am just curious as to why you decided not to add it?
For me, it's not so much about protecting myself in regards to working out of my home, but that I have clients in multiple cities. In town, I mostly work at the spa, so my private clients are mostly friends of mine. The majority of my clientele lives in Denver, 3 hours away, although I am apparently starting to develop a small client base in Wyoming.

Lisa said:
Hey Laura,

As much as i can understand your reasoning...i think one also has to protect themselves when we are working out of our homes.

Laura Allen said:
This is a big issue! I would recommend that even if you do outcalls, you still put some sort of contact address.
well and another thing to consider is what if the potential client thinks it's a "walk in" type place and just shows up? do i want someone just showing up at my house?
I think you may be too focused on design. Monica Roseberry in her book "Marketing Massage" talked about what makes a successful massage therapist and it had nothing to do with design. It has to do with your committment and being a professional and two other things that I am forgetting. She did a study with people who spent tons on their business and they were still not successful.

I think there is too much green. It also looks like the hand is holding the guy in a vulnerable position which could bring in the wierdos if that is an issue in your area.

I have the simplest of cards with only blue and white letters with just my basic info and it has worked for me for 20 years.

Julie
www.thebodyworker.com
www.massage-career-guides.com
Good points Julie. Thanks!!

I can't say i agree that a professional business in today's intense fast-paced society doesn't require thought on a design. if so be the case than big corporations and the media wouldn't spend so much money ON marketing. i think that just because we are massage therapists does not mean we lose our professional marketing appeal. after all, all our marketing pieces - whether the web, our cards, the way we dress, down to how we create our space...all of it is a way we sell or market ourselves.

with that said i also think because we are marketing ourselves than our "pieces" need to be very personal. when i have someone see my card or me when i open the door or my room...it all says ME. i think that's important for the client to be able to truly relax in my presence so i can do my job.

so for me in my card...

i picked the colors because they are warm and earthy. i'm a very warm and earthy type person. it is also a studied fact that the earthy greens are considered very soothing colors for people. so to me it sets a mood.

the hand and the guy almost represent a yin yang feel for me. the hand is nuturing the man is rugged. your point of "the hand is holding the guy in a vulnerable position" is well taken. and i actually hadn't thought about that. but in fact that works for me even more so. think how vunerable is it for our clients to disrobe and entrust themselves to our touch. that's a huge part of what we do...instill trust. so i'm kinda glad you saw that.

as for the "weirdos" part...i don't see that. i'm not really picking up any vibe in my card that says "sexual". when i think of the vunerability you mentioned i see it in the finger under the arm pit. which IS a very vunerable spot. i don't see anything else other than the palm of the hand supporting the man. so perhaps for that we'll have to just disagree. :)

but either way thanks for the feedback and making me see my card in a different way.

can you post up your card? i'd love to see it. i think by sharing in this way we all are bound to pick up ideas for ourselves from what someone else has done.
For therapists who work from home or do outcalls, I understand not wanting everyone to know your address. I have the cards of some of those folks, and along with email and phone they can at least put the name of their town, or something like "Serving the Phoenix area". At least that gives you an idea of where they are.

Lisa said:
Hey Laura,

As much as i can understand your reasoning...i think one also has to protect themselves when we are working out of our homes. it's one thing to put your address out there on a card when you have a place but when it's your home i think there has to be some precautions. plus i have found most people have been contacting me via email anyhow. anyone else have thoughts on this?

Laura Allen said:

Liz said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service