massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

Need some wording advice on a sign for gratuity.  Any suggestions?

Views: 13745

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ok what it comparable? A chiropractor? physical therapist? occupational therapist?
I can see a tip is your just giving someone the service of a relaxation massage but what if your working off a referral from a DR. Or DC, they don't take tips, why would we. We are Health Care Providers.

Wow....not nice.

Marilyn St.John said:

Sorry, no, I do NOT believe it's reputable to have a sign.  It's like standing there holding out your hand...or (HA!) a monkey with a cup.  I personally do not wish my services to take on the quality of a Starbuck's drive-through...and I also don't believe it's rude to say so.  It just isn't professional, that's all. 

Mm4 writes:

Ok what it comparable? A chiropractor? physical therapist? occupational therapist?
I can see a tip is your just giving someone the service of a relaxation massage but what if your working off a referral from a DR. Or DC, they don't take tips, why would we. We are Health Care Providers.

I am not a doctor, chiropractor, physical therapist or occupational therapist nor do I wish to be perceived as such.  I prefer to separate myself and my practice from the health care industry and current paradigm.  As I stated earlier, I see myself as a service provider first and foremost who takes incredibly good care of my clients -- far beyond what most health care providers care to do.  I see my clients as individuals rather than as patients.  I treat them with compassion, kindness, consideration and with the utmost care to address the issues they have presented to me in as gentle a manner as I know how to do.  Quite often my clients have already visited a health care provider for their issues and received little to no help in addressing them.  If I'm able to help them they generally become regular clients and begin referring their family and friends to me so I can help them as well.  You ask what is comparable?  That is a very good question.  I know what I do is very different from a doctor, chiropractor, physical therapist and occupational therapist as well as nurse and technician.  FWIW, I don't fit in the spa category either.  I'm a Therapeutic Massage Therapist and as such sometimes I receive tips.

In my experience, whether a referral comes from a MD, DC, PT or OT does not preclude the client from offering a tip after the massage session -- some do, some don't.  When asked I tell them it is not necessary.  Some leave it anyway and receive a gracious thank you from me when it happens.  I do not find it insulting nor unprofessional.

When I make a list of what constitutes professionalism there are many things that come to mind, acceptance of tips doesn't make the list.

I currently work with a DC, so tips are a rarity. A very, very few clients tip me, typically once or twice in a year's time. There have been a few times when I've gone to a client's house because they were in too much pain to drive.  Then I get tipped. My regular clients tend to get me a gift card of some sort at whatever their midwinter holiday is called. Typically in the $20 range. Sometimes a client looks confused at the counter on whether or not to tip, and I tell them that the best tip they can possibly give me is to refer their friends. I've worked in mixed use clinics (both therapeutic & medical massage) where tips were great. Tips didn't happen while they were on a post accident or injury care plan, but once they converted to maintenance or relaxation, they tipped. Not sure how it got through to them that this particular method was appropriate, but it worked, and we didn't have a sign. If a client asked about our tipping policy, we simply said that tips aren't expected, but are always appreciated. 

If I'm doing event massage, I have a tip jar. Working for a DC, I wouldn't have one in my office or room.  I'm not sure how I feel about having a sign out at a non-medical office, I've never done it, but I'm leaning against it. That being said, there are a lot of regional differences, and I have no idea what yours is like.  I will say that you need to set your rates so that you don't need tips to make your rent or put food on the table.

A lot of people here are being very contradictory and confusing. 

For those that think that is "unprofessional" to ask for a tip, then I ask them: then the massage therapists that work at spas are unprofessionals? if you work in a medical setting, are you implying that your therapy is more professional than the one that is performed by a massage therapist in a spa? are you comparing to a chiropractor or a doctor that has A LOT more training and get MUCH better paid? if we as massage therapists can be compared in the same level of chiropractors and doctors, WHY WE ARE PAID SO BAD IN MEDICAL OFFICES? Here in South Florida, chiropractors don't want to pay more than $15/hr. Is rare the Chiropractor that wants to pay more. And the ones that pay more, want the therapist to do extra work: cleaning, filing, etc. Also, we are being DISCRIMINATED by health care insurance companies, they don't have problem in paying physical therapists, but they don't like paying directly to massage therapists, just think about it: why massage therapy is not part of a coverage in a medical plan like physical therapy? the only way to get paid by health care insurance companies is through a chiropractor/doctor, and of course, they want to take advantage of us by paying only $15/hr so they can take the rest, the same as massage envy or even worst, because at least at massage envy you get tips. 

A massage therapist should be paid better in a medical office so tips won't be needed. But the reality is that $15/hr is exploitation, and unfortunately tips are needed in order to make a decent earning.

ALL massage therapists are health care providers. The license that every massage therapist get is from the same entity: the department of health. So the ones here that think they are more "professional" and deserve more "respect" because is working in a medical setting, is ridiculous.  

In a medical environment. no tips.. in a hotel or spa environment, its tips.
I bet those same chiropractors are billing the insurance companies $200.00 to $300.00 an hour for massage.  Way more then $15.00.

Christopher,

Not everyone in the profession views themselves as a health care provider, nor do they aspire to. I think all massage is beneficial, whether it's a session in a chiropractic office or a chair massage in the park. Tipping is the common practice in spas, on cruise ships, in salons, etc. People routinely tip therapists who perform outcalls even if they're performing "medical" massage. There are different strokes for different folks! 

Christopher L. Benson, LMT, PLLC said:

The Q is do you tip ANY Heath care
 providers?  I ALWAS decline and discurage tipping 
BUT I will be the first one too ask for a referal. Ain't that
More profitable in the long run. "I don't know my 
Be a Ny thing"

@Gordon, a chiropractor works for ME, not the other way around, and I file a lot of insurance, so I can speak to that. Sorry to get off the original topic....but the insurance companies set the fees they will allow for everything. That varies from state to state. In NC BCBS pays $62.96 for 4 units (1 hour). Other companies are a little less or a little more.

Gordon J. Wallis said:

I bet those same chiropractors are billing the insurance companies $200.00 to $300.00 an hour for massage.  Way more then $15.00.

Angela,

I don't object to tipping a waitress--but I would be pretty gobsmacked if she came right out and asked for one. I don't mean that to be rude so don't take it that way. A gratuity is a voluntary thing (except in those places where it's automatically added on to your bill) and asking for it takes the "voluntary" out of it and makes it seem like an obligation.

In my clinic, the MTs do everything from massage referred by the chiropractor who works here, to Swedish massage from people seeking relaxation, hot stones, and spa treatments as well. When people ask if they can or should leave a tip, the answer is "never expected, always appreciated."

Angela Lind said:

A lot of people here are being very contradictory and confusing. 

For those that think that is "unprofessional" to ask for a tip, then I ask them: then the massage therapists that work at spas are unprofessionals? if you work in a medical setting, are you implying that your therapy is more professional than the one that is performed by a massage therapist in a spa? are you comparing to a chiropractor or a doctor that has A LOT more training and get MUCH better paid? if we as massage therapists can be compared in the same level of chiropractors and doctors, WHY WE ARE PAID SO BAD IN MEDICAL OFFICES? Here in South Florida, chiropractors don't want to pay more than $15/hr. Is rare the Chiropractor that wants to pay more. And the ones that pay more, want the therapist to do extra work: cleaning, filing, etc. Also, we are being DISCRIMINATED by health care insurance companies, they don't have problem in paying physical therapists, but they don't like paying directly to massage therapists, just think about it: why massage therapy is not part of a coverage in a medical plan like physical therapy? the only way to get paid by health care insurance companies is through a chiropractor/doctor, and of course, they want to take advantage of us by paying only $15/hr so they can take the rest, the same as massage envy or even worst, because at least at massage envy you get tips. 

A massage therapist should be paid better in a medical office so tips won't be needed. But the reality is that $15/hr is exploitation, and unfortunately tips are needed in order to make a decent earning.

ALL massage therapists are health care providers. The license that every massage therapist get is from the same entity: the department of health. So the ones here that think they are more "professional" and deserve more "respect" because is working in a medical setting, is ridiculous.  

So many of these responses are so silly! Of course gratuity matters! Especially in a spa/salon environment where you expect clients to be prepared to leave a CUSTOMARY tip for good to excellent service.

Get real, folks.

Laura, 

A lot of spas they add gratuity to the check and they don't even ask. Another locations, they don't do it in the check but the receptionists always ask to the client if wants to leave a tip. That is what happens at Massage Envy for example, they know that the therapists are counting with the tip because they only get paid $15/hr. So what I'm trying to say is, are these therapists less professionals because at the facilities they work, they ask to leave a tip to the client? 

At a spa I used to work years ago, they didn't even ask, they just add 18% gratuity to the check and the taxes. 

I really don't see the difference between a massage therapist giving massage at a spa, and a massage therapist giving massage at a chiropractor's office. The only difference is in the ambiance, but not in the massage itself. Is the same, so why is not appropriate to tip in a medical office and is appropriate to tip in a spa? Why people think that a medical office is "more serious" or "more respectable" than a spa? again: the massage given in the medical office is the same given at a spa. Actually, I would say that is even better the massage given at a spa, because the most of the doctors pay TERRIBLE to the therapists. Just think about it: a massage therapist that is really good,will be working for $15/hr without being able to get tips? When I have received massage at a chiropractor's office, the massages I received were really bad. But I can't expect better because they are paid really bad. 

Laura: in all your comments you mention your clinic and how you run your business. Please understand that the way your business is run, does NOT happen in the same way with the most of massage businesses. Your case is the exception to the rule. So I would suggest not giving your business always as an example in every comment you give, because that is not what happen commonly everywhere. 

Laura Allen said:

Angela,

I don't object to tipping a waitress--but I would be pretty gobsmacked if she came right out and asked for one. I don't mean that to be rude so don't take it that way. A gratuity is a voluntary thing (except in those places where it's automatically added on to your bill) and asking for it takes the "voluntary" out of it and makes it seem like an obligation.

In my clinic, the MTs do everything from massage referred by the chiropractor who works here, to Swedish massage from people seeking relaxation, hot stones, and spa treatments as well. When people ask if they can or should leave a tip, the answer is "never expected, always appreciated."

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service