massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

Link to Georgia Senate Bill 364:

http://www.legis.ga.gov/legis/2009_10/search/sb364.htm

Since I've started this thread in the general GA LMT section, I have learned about this "discussion forum" section and thought it only "proper" to steer the discussion to here.

Views: 340

Replies to This Discussion

For the purpose of enlightening the discussion, I am quoting some of the most pertinent words on the subject of SB 364 to date by quoting Jane Johnson's post:

The GR committee has been busy researching the issues around SB 364 in hopes of understanding the amendments better before notifing members because we have only had bits and pieces. The GR committee has compiled concerns and comments this week as interpretations and other information has come in. That was necessary to make an informed decision. The GR Chair can be contacted through the website at www.amtaga.org or call ABMP, NCBTMB, to voice your concerns. I am not sure any forums will be set up at this point. A link is set to go up on the website in the next day. The Chapter Board is preparing for the annual meeting this weekend and more info will be available then, too. I hope this helps. The GA Chapter GR is working with our Lobbyist on SB 364

The Judiciary Committee is sending SB 364 to a study committee which will issue their recommendation(s) after they convene. Now the question is who will be asked to serve/chair this sub-committee?

Once the Judiciary Chair announces his pick for Study Committee members and chair, I would like to contact them and express my "financial impact concern" on allowing cities regulatory authority, as I do not want to see a return to Atlanta's $500 every 2 years for a "massage technician permit" or the requirement of a mandated annual doctor visit. I am quite happy with the current $75 every 2 years to the state for my license.
Robb, you might want to rename the group to indicate that it's a Georgia bill, something like Georgia SB 364 - Municipal Control.
Thanks (((Toni)))

done

Toni Roberts said:
Robb, you might want to rename the group to indicate that it's a Georgia bill, something like Georgia SB 364 - Municipal Control.
This version contains more information:
I've written and uploaded sample letter on SB 364 as well as some talking points on contacting your senator. This might be a good time to tell your colleagues, friends, and clients to write their senators. I didn't have the contact information for the members of the Judiciary subcommittee that is studying the bill, so it isn't included.
Attachments:
I phoned and spoke with the Judiciary Committee Secretary today, she said that the subcommittee had met this morning and changed some of the language. She offered to email me a copy which I am still awaiting.
Please pass it on to us, Robb. In my letter I asked them to separate fines for prostitutes from fines for otherwise ethical practitioners. I also asked them to stop using the term "massage parlor" when referring to brothels as it is protected under the massage practice act. We'll see where that one goes.
SB 364 passed out of the Senate Judiciary Committee this morning. According to the Secretary of the Senate's office, the earliest the Senate can vote on it will be next Wednesday, March 17th.
http://touchprints.blogspot.com/2010/03/georgia-senate-bill-364-pas...
Thanks to a "heads up" from Jane the newest committee amended version is up @:

I've sent an email to Marlene Gaskill to see if she wants to get involved in modifying SB 364 @ 75 her involvement might potentially be restricted.

Toni Roberts said:
SB 364 passed out of the Senate Judiciary Committee this morning. According to the Secretary of the Senate's office, the earliest the Senate can vote on it will be next Wednesday, March 17th.
http://touchprints.blogspot.com/2010/03/georgia-senate-bill-364-pas...
Staton's SB 364 went on the Senate floor this morning. Senator Valencia, Unterman, and Ramsey spoke favorably and supported the SB from the floor. It passed unanimously. Unfortunately, it was expected that a friendly amendment from the floor was going to be entertained referring to Section 5 so that local municipalities would not place any undue restrictions on our practice. A friendly amendment did not make it to the floor. I am only assuming that if it didn't make it then that it is unlikely that the friendly amendment that was promised will surface. I hope I am proven wrong. I suppose it is off to the House for SB 364 and I anticipate that it will be smooth sailing. This SB comes with highly supported. I understand that local municipalities currently have the authority to regulate massage therapy establishments which includes how, where, and when they practice. Most municipalities have dropped their regulatory fees since we became licensed, however, many have not undated their ordinances to reflect compliance with the Massage Therapy Practice Act. I believe the repeated use of the term "massage parlor" is coming from our own Georgia Code Title 48-13-9 (b) 17 listing "massage parlors" as one category that can be regulated. Yes, it is in our state law! I am thinking this language may need to be amended to "massage therapy establishments" because it is clear that "massage parlor" means prostitution in GA. So, now I believe I see.....maybe....the root to this problem and where it comes from. Am I on to something? Happy St. Patrick's day to all!

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service