massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

From Vickie Branch, Government Relations, AMTA-NH

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

As many of you are aware, House Bill 446 – an act to repeal regulation for certain professions, was introduced to the Executive Departments and Administrations Committee (EDA) this past February. The reasons for this bill are not completely understood, but I understand that it may be more about eliminating government from our day to day lives and not so much about “picking on” the professions named in the bill. The sponsors of the bill feel that the consumer ought to be able to hire whomever they wish regardless of the individuals’ credentials. With that said, the primary sponsor of the bill, Representative Spec Bowers from Sunapee, added an amendment to make licensing voluntary.

A subcommittee met several times this summer to study the merits of the bill. Although testimony from the public was not guaranteed, the subcommittee members allowed persons from each profession to state their reasoning’s for or against the bill. Unfortunately the subcommittee voted 3-2 in favor of the amendment and it now goes to the full committee for a vote. The ED&A committee will hold its first meeting on Thursday October 27th at 10am in room 306 of the Legislative Office Building (LOB). National AMTA has been working tirelessly with NH AMTA drafting letters to committee members. It is our hope that the committee will vote to omit Massage Therapy from this bill.

I have included some of the information written to the committee why we believe that Massage Therapy should be omitted. As AMTA members and Licensed Massage Professionals, you are also encouraged to write to the committee members. You may also write to your local representative, but the committee members will be our first stumbling block. They need to hear from you. I have included a draft of a letter you may use if you don’t want to write something yourself. I have also included a draft you are welcome to give to your clients to encourage them to write also. This bill affects all of us. You and your clients are also invited to attend the ED&A meeting on the 27th. A show of support speaks volumes.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best

Vickie

Links:

1. Contact the ED&A committee: http://gencourt.state.nh.us/house/committees/committeedetails.aspx?...

In the right hand corner you can click on “email committee members” and you can email all members at the same time.

2. AMTA reasons for licensure 

3. AMTA White Paper to ED&A Committee Members

4. Sample letter you may use to send to committee members

5. Sample letter your clients may use to send to committee members 

Views: 500

Replies to This Discussion

If this just throws licensing back to the local governments it is wrong. A true step forward would be to reduce government by prohibiting local government from setting any regulations for the control of massage other than to collect a standard business tax.

I, myself, am for maintaining my Massage Therapy License. I worked hard to get it & I believe it shows that I am a professional. I can not tell how many "Men" have inquired about offering services that do not fall under the License (You fiqure out what I am talking about."  I want something that separates me for the hooker up the road. Thank You, Tammy
HB 446 has a long way to go before it could be enacted into law.  However, if licensing were to become voluntary, some local governments may choose to step in and regulate massage therapy.  When I lived in Illinois, there was no statewide regulation and the patchwork of local regulations was onerous for the therapist.  If you worked in more than one regulated municipality, it was a bureaucratic nightmare, not to mention costly.

Daniel Cohen said:

If this just throws licensing back to the local governments it is wrong. A true step forward would be to reduce government by prohibiting local government from setting any regulations for the control of massage other than to collect a standard business tax.

Just a reminder:  HB 446 has a long way to go before it could be enacted into law.

Whether massage therapy licensing remains mandatory or becomes voluntary, I plan to keep my license.  It not only shows professionalism (you're correct about that), but it most likely will make your life easier if down the road you decide to become licensed in another state.

Tammy Podgis said:

I, myself, am for maintaining my Massage Therapy License. I worked hard to get it & I believe it shows that I am a professional. I can not tell how many "Men" have inquired about offering services that do not fall under the License (You fiqure out what I am talking about."  I want something that separates me for the hooker up the road. Thank You, Tammy

I hate backroom politics, after everybody, but the sponsors of the bill spoke against this, they decided to go forward.  I have notified all my graduates, students and instructors of this and urged them to write against this.  It is one thing if experts of the field are advising something it is another if politicians ignoring the experts are trying to advocate something. 

I am drawn back to the wildlife guide's testimony that states without licensing of guides wind up with people dying under those unlicensed guides and NH has not as their guides are licensed.  This impacts so many professions, including our own, that its ridiculous.

UPDATE

The Executive Departments & Administration Committee voted 9-8 in favor of House Bill 446.  The Bill will now go to the full House with a pass recommendation.

Who can we get into contact with to voice our displeasure?  Then again all the emails and testimonies did not seem to do anything.

At this point, the best thing might be to alert your Representative that HB 446 will come before the full House and to express your opinion as to how s/he should vote on the bill.

You can find your Representative here:  http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/house/members/wml.aspx

Thanks Kevin, I have also contacted Christine Topham to see if she has any thoughts.  If she has more information I will see if I can share it here.

There are many Representatives who are opposed to HB 446.  Chuck Townsend, of my district, is a case in point.  In an email to me, he wrote:

"What a travesty that most of the [ED&A] committee is supporting this bill! Our licensing works well, and certainly is preferable to having people offer services with no way to evaluate their training or competency."

If you are opposed to HB 446, it's wise not only to try to sway those Reps who are in favor of the Bill, but also to let those who are already against it know that you expect them to fight to the death on the House floor.

In checking with Christine Topham, she feels the House will most likely pass it but the Senate has a good chance of shooting it down, that is not a guarantee though.  

I would much prefer teh House to shoot it down than for it to even gain traction, so as Kevin has said, please contact your Rep and hopefully this will be killed as soon as it comes up.

It is going to the house January 4th for vote.

Michael,

I tended to agree with Christine until the ED&A Committee vote last week.  Now I'm more hopeful.

Chuck Townsend (NH State Rep - Grafton 10) wrote to me:

"The good news is that, even after two appointments by the speaker to insure HB 446 would come out of committee with an OtP recommendation, four Republicans voted against it. To me, that suggests that we may be able to vote it Inexpedient to Legislate come Jan. 4."

I also expect a strong minority report to come from Representative Peter Schmidt.  

Still, people need to contact their Representatives if they want their wishes to prevail.

Kevin

P.S. A list of Representatives' email addresses can be found here: http://gencourt.state.nh.us/house/members/housemembersemail.aspx

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service