massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

I know, I'm nosey. I was a travel writer.

For six years, I got to travel to Bed & Breakfasts and get massages, all for free, and write about it. So my roots are in traveling, meeting people and hearing their stories. Now I travel around and do The World Massage Festival & Massage Therapy Hall of Fame.

I found the adjustment to a single location massage establishment, inside a strip mall, very confining. So I started a way to stay "in the massage world and travel!" But that is another story!

What's your story? What did you do before massage? Tell us of your travels and what massage is like where you are, especially if you massage outside the U.S. We really like pictures, if possible.

If you get bored come see me at my page http://www.massageprofessionals.com/profile/MikeHinkle

Thanks and welcome to Massage Professionals!

Views: 4804

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There ya go! Confidence is half the battle!

Judy Haller D'Angelo said:
I was comming out of a divorce, in which my ex (of 30 yrs) left me to take up with the wife of a couple with whom we were friends with -ouch - once the "dust settled" I took early retirement from my "secure" job as a tenured certified teaching assistant and enrolled into school full time to be come a massage therapist. Graduated in June and just recieved my NYState license over a week ago!!!! Loved working with kids, but it was time to move on into my "next" act in life. If I had stayed married I would not be in this profession so there is definitely a silver linning in my "dark cloud". I'm thrilled to be doing what I REALLY want, massage and being an artist. My talents are in my hands!
Yes, it is! Don't ever give up!

Marjorie J Hover said:
I worked for a 5 county mental health agency. I was a Community Support Worker for the Chronic Mentally Ill! I loved it! It really didn't bother me that it sometimes took years before you could see an improvement! Then they might have an exacerbation of their symptoms no matter what was done! With massage, to have someone in so much pain that they can hardly walk in or suffering with a headache or migraine and all feel better within an hour to hour and a half, that is really satisfying! It is so rewarding to be able to help people improve the quality of their life!
I used to work as a private investigator (Criminal Justice Degree), then had two daughters & stayed at home with them. Have been a massage therapist for the past 2 years. love it!
A PI massage therapist! Wow!

Barbara said:
I used to work as a private investigator (Criminal Justice Degree), then had two daughters & stayed at home with them. Have been a massage therapist for the past 2 years. love it!
I always wanted to be a dr and find a cure for cancer.. (dad died when i was 8 from it) that was my dream. But instead i married my high school sweetheart, and had my 2 boys right out of high school. They of course took over my time. I stayed home, or babysat and also had my own cleaning business while they were home. I chronically had low back pain. When i divorced and my boys got in full time school, it was time for me to go back to school. My back pain would have me laid up for 3 or 4 days at a time.. doesn't work well when you have to chase 2 boys!! I went to a chiropractor for over a month and still didn't feel better. I thought my back would go out if i coughed!!! A friend suggested massage so i went, couldn't hurt. It was the best hour in my life. I walked out standing straight up and with barely any pain.. 99% better!! I decided since i wasn't going to be a Dr. that this is what i wanted to do. I could still help heal people and make a difference. I LOVE my job!! I have been a therapist since 1999 and hope i can keep doing it for a long time. Looking forward to adding more tools to my box!! :) Thanx for the topic,like reading everyones stories. :)
I'm a former fashion consultant/personal shopper.
Are you still doing both and Mom? You are a busy lady! Take a breath......

Alicia Patrick said:
Currently I am a patient care assoc and a full time mom. I work 2 12hr shifts and 2 8hr shifts. I've been doing this kind of work since I was in 11th grade. Tired of the stress and the body aches as well as working and answering to others. I figured it was time for a change so I took up Massage Therapy and I LOVE it.
Your dedication will result in much success in massage!

John C. Tresise said:
I managed the laundry/Linen and Environmental Services Departments of a 400 bed acute care hospital for over 17 years
So many therapists have entered the field for the same reasons. Glad you are here, Jennifer! I hope you help many, they need touch!

Jennifer Zastko said:
I practiced nursing in both hospital and office settings until I had children and became a stay at home mom. Then as the kids got older I missed 'helping' others. I was also dealing with my own medical problems(DDD and fibro) and frustrated with the medical approach. So after trying alternative therapies, including massage, I decided this is how I want to help others.
I did and still do care for the elderly and disabled. Mostly Alzhiemers and mentally slow people. It's at home CNA work. It takes alot of care to do that kind of work, but I love that. I love to help people.
Lymphatic drainage. The class will be either January or February. A year of practice then I can sit for the lana exam. After that? Who knows.

Mike Hinkle said:
Way to go Kristy! You set yours goals and reached them! Glad to have you with us. What's next? Kristy Gable said:
I was working as a security screener (TSA). I'd done it for three years. I hated it. It's an unforgiving,stressful job. My doc pretty much told me if I didn't get my stress level under control I'd have a heart attack by 30. I have a bs in criminal justice but I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. An ad for bsom came on and mentioned they'd move locally. I'm a big believer in the universe telling you stuff. So I visited campus. I juggled school and work for 12.5 months. I got my license and resigned from tsa shortly after reaching 5 years. I fell in love with massage and haven't looked back. It was the best move I ever made.
I have a BS in Computer Science with a Mathematics minor. For almost 25 years, I did IT Support, which means I fixed computer-related problems. For the last 11 years, I worked for a contractor to the Department of Defense. I got tired of all of the stress and getting yelled at by my power-hungry, insecure boss. I received my license in Massage Therapy in August of 2007.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service