massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=OhBtGlEETUWwi9h5olkCGQ_3d_3d

Please help me compile this information. I'd like more than a 1,000 if possible. Sure it is!
Your participation is MOST appreciated.
Remember you do not have to answer all the questions and Page 2 is "optional". Page two is for those employed only, NOT Self Employed!The survey company automatically includes Page 2 and I was unable to edit or delete. SO it IS OPTIONAL!
Pass it on to your colleagues too.

The intention is to publish this research to assist
Future LMT's, educators, employers and anyone else interested in the statistics of the massage industry!
I want to give you a voice to share your thoughts and experiences.

The Survey will end November 29, 2009

Updates will be posted on this discussion throughout the survey and final results will be provided once all information is compiled and reviewed.

FYI! I am also conducting private interviews with owners of franchises, spas, schools, massage therapists etc. Interested? Contact me.

I will also be including a few interviews from employers and LMT's. Want to participate? Contact me massageproce@gmail.com

Thanks, Gloria

Views: 961

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I hear and understand what you mean Darcy.

However, if I am to write accurately what is going on in the industry I truly need to hear from owners as well. Otherwise, the facts are not "the facts". This has nothing to do with accusations - this has to do with educating MT's so they understand and know what to expect in the employment field.

Thanks for your continued support and assistance!

Darcy Neibaur BS LMT NCTMB said:
I am sorry to hear they are not responding. Well, we have to look as Jesus. He is always our example. When He was accused of all kinds of things He did not respond either. So maybe the not responding is a way of saying they are innocent of the acusations. I think this is something we might have missed in the to Jesus. Just a thought.

Gloria Coppola said:
Yes Darcy

I have not heard back from anyone from Massage Envy. Very disappointed as we really do
need them to speak out too.

Getting a bit of bad press on the survey and I would really love to have more participation from the franchises as a whole.

Gloria have you sent the survey to Massage Envy? Maybe if they see the questions on the survey they will respond. Just a thought.

Gloria Coppola said:
Would like to report today, but not much going on!
Need more people to participate !

So everyone, please tell your colleagues!

The data has been pretty consistent on the whole FYI.
Mostly, the comments are awesome.

I have had soooo many people ask for the publication of these results.

I am still waiting to hear from Massage Envy???? No response. Anyone out there have a connection
with them or any other franchise?

Would love more Spa employee Participation too!

Have a great weekend everyone!
So all of those that have commented on the survey that they wish there was a site
that was FREE for massage therapists to learn about massage and have
links to courses etc., without having to look everywhere.....
GO CHECK OUT!
www.MassageNerd.com

Ryan has the largest massage website and loads of FREE study aids, links etc!
IT DOES EXIST OUT THERE!

Also, I have some short video on www.MassageNetworknews.com (with more to come soon)
Today's Update
516 Participants!!!

Since the NCB question of the day seems to be whether or not there should be advanced certification and who should provide it - here are some of the results and comments from the survey!!

54% feel we should have advanced certification

Here are a variety of the typical comments from the last few days:

1. Each or most modalities have their own certificates
2. f I thought this would bring true value for clients, yes, but I fear it would be just another thing to pay for without benefiting the therapist. If there were market demand for this, than absolutely.
3. Isn't there?
4. Yes, but that should be governed by the school, institute or person who created the technique.
5. no way to quantify different modalities
6.The instructor of the specific modality should be the best judge of the skill level for advanced certification purposes
7. those modalities speak for themselves.
8. Most modalities offer their own certification, don't they? That should be sufficient to hand on the wall!
9.Some providers already do this--Upledger, Barnes--state should not be redundant
10. I specialize in offering NMT...if I tell someone that I'm a Licensed Massage Therapist...they commonly think all I do is swedish.
11. I thought there was
12. don't think advanced certification through a national organazation, like NCBTMB or even the MBLEx, is necessary. some people like all those credentials after their name, but what does it mean really? that they took a test and paid someone money? taking a test and paying a board money for a credential does not mean someone is competent

How do you feel? Contact Elizabeth Langston of NCBTMB and let her know
ELangston@ncbtmb.org!
A CALL TO ACTION!

Please if everyone could pass this info onto your friends list!

There are only 7 more days before the survey expires.
459 more participants are needed.

WE CAN DO THIS TOGETHER!

Still looking for interviews from owners, educators and school owners/program directors.
Email me at massageproce@gmail.com

Thank you all for your help!
Gloria
560 and still counting.
Lots of you have helped out today by notifying friends and colleagues!
Thank you. Let's keep it going.
I will be doing updates tomorrow night.
I want to express my heart felt thanks to each and everyone who has thus far participated in the massage survey.

It has been quite the undertaking to get responses and I sure could use a bit more help.
There are only 576 survey participants as of now. The survey expires 11/29.

I am enjoying the comments and feedback individuals are providing and this will support a wonderful compilation of information to share with you all.

If everyone can post it again and urge their colleagues to support this effort, my gratitude will be immense.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your families!
Blessings, Gloria
November 25th Updates!

To date we have 579 with only a few days left to reach 1,000! Contact someone right now and ask them to complete the survey!

I have also included several questions that people are asking below. Please feel free to offer up your suggestions and ideas.
Thank you EVERYONE!

66% of the participants are in Private Practice
25% work in the Spa Industry

35% perform 15-25 sessions a week
30% more than 25

49% have been business owners
1.2% want nothing to do with it

What are the biggest challenges of business owners?
59% agree "Marketing"
Comments: Great things to consider if you are embarking upon your own business!
1. Paperwork and getting/retaining clients
2. making enough money when people are spending less
3. public perception of massage therapy
4. balancing cash flow
5. record keeping as a small business and keeping clear lines between personal and business.

88% of people in private practice say WORD OF MOUTH is the most effective marketing tool!

66% of people employed say their employers do not provide or reimburse them for continuing education

How many hours do you feel massage schools should be?
A tie between 500-700 and 700- 1000 @ 35% each.

72% attended Privately owned massage schools
21 % VoTech school

What do you love most about being a massage therapist? (This is the part I love reading
)
1. for me, the freedom to schedule my work around my life, not vice-versa. And the utter beauty of witnessing clients heal from within.
2. making people feel better, body, mind and soul
3.The way my body feels. I have had a lot of pain, in my ankle and back and most days now I feel so good. I'm loving the massage field I'm getting into.
4. Helping people out of pain, improving the health of their immune system, WHILE teaching them how to care for their own bodies.
5. Everything! I love watching the progress clients make (increasing ROM or circulation, decreasing pain, etc). I love to work with friendly people. Most people who see a massage therapist are great full and happy to see me. Best customer service I know of. I love educating clients, teaching them about their muscles and how to take care of them.

If you could change one thing about your place of employment, what would it be?
1. my area would be quieter
2. They need better marketing to retain current clients. Most of their marketing is geared toward bringing in new clients.
3. I could be busier
4. More stability in income, being treated like a professional, employers understanding differences between employees and independent contractors
5. More stability in income, being treated like a professional, employers understanding differences between employees and independent contractors
6.firm cancellation policy
7.More modality training
8.atmosphere. Primarily a medical spa, so noise pollution is a frequent concern.
9. The owner, would definitely respect the massage therapist. It's all about the money. I actually had to refuse to work a whole day without a break scheduled.
10. Increase my hourly rate to commensurate my skill sets and education and not have to do laundry.

72 % of participants perform a 1 hr. massage most frequently.

What type of massage is performed most often

# 1. Deep Tissue @ 53 %
# 2. Swedish
# 3. Integrative Bodywork

What modality would you enjoy learning new?

Top 5
1. Myofascial Release
2. Cranio Sacral Therapy
3. Structural Integration
4. Lomi Lomi
5. Myoskeletal Alignment

Do you feel "potential" massage instructors should attend a teacher training program
68% said YES

80% feel massage should be licensed everywhere

54% feel there should be an advanced certification
the remainder say no or not sure

41% Believe the NCBTMB should provide the certification
while the other comments are:
1. Another certifying body/not impressed with NCBTMB
2. NCTMB & MBLEX are private companies serving their own agenda and states are govermental entities that don't seem to get anything right..
3. The NCBTMB is a crock of you-know-what. They never should have existed in the first place.
4. not sure.
5. professional certifying agency or organization

59% of the participants belong to the ABMP
28% AMTA

Top resources where people look for massage resources
?
# 1 Internet @ 89 %
# 2 Massage Publicatioins
# 3 Professional Organizations

What else do you want to say? ( Comments/ideas from participants) THIS IS YOUR VOICE

1. I'd like to see some kind of resource (preferably through the AMTA or other professional organization) where new therapists can search potential employers and get reviews from people who have worked there.
2. Again: Licensing should be about therapeutic healing and treatment and should NOT be called 'massage'. The battle to change the connation of the word is too great. Connective Tissue Therapy is as close as we can get at this time to the most accurate description of the work - and would be easier to get hospitals, doctors, etc. to take notice. (And insurance companies)

3. think that the certification should be by an agency, but not necessarily a private agency. This will promote professional and serious therapists, and create a national standard, adding credibility to the profession.

4. I am sorely disappointed in the lack of cohesiveness of the massage industry since graduating from school. Why are the associations not doing more to represent massage therapists as professionals to other industries - chiropractors, MDs, hospitals, corporations, etc? They have the power of their membership to influence potential employers and hiring agents. They should do more to represent the employment needs of their membership, which are varied from individuals that only want a private practice to those who would enjoy a salaried position with a variety of work. The question of whether or not massage therapists should be paid well is irrelevant. If we want more highly qualified therapists out there, we need well-paying opportunities for good therapists in all areas, not just "the strongest business owners will survive" attitude. There are plenty of poor quality therapists that are quite successful through luck or good business savvy, not because they are good at what they do, and vice versa.

5. I have mixed feelings about corporate massage places. I'm glad that they have brought massage mainstream, and it was a great place to start. I feel however that I am able to help my clients better working for myself. I have more time for them, and I am much happier. Many of the clients that I see in my private practice started coming to me because they do not like the "get em in, get em out" feel of the larger places. They also find them to be "hit and miss" as far as the quality of massage they receive. This is because the therapists are often overworked, and underpaid.

6. I think there should be some rules and regulations to spa owners, I feel if a therapist works more than 25 hours, they should be entitled to benefits such as accruing vacation pay, sick pay and free massage services or health preventative reimbursements such as yoga so that the therapists don't get burned out too quick. I feel if a therapist has been at the spa for a few years, they should be entitle to partial or full tuition reimbursement including continuing education.. of course all this will go into account how many hours worked, how many years employed and employee evaluations. Now on the other hand I like the idea of maybe having group health insurance options for self employed. Maybe therapists who work in the same zip code can group[ together and get a group discount of health insurance??

7.I love what I do and wished that people would take us more seriously esp. the medical feild!

8. I feel that the profession of massage has expanded to the point where the various advanced techniques ie; medical massage etc. are designed to provide specific treatments that claim to fix or repair. Massage has become so specialized that few seem to understand the basic requirement of massage. It is to relax the recipient not provide medical or other treatments or perform assessments (another word for diagnose) My clients come to me to receive unconditional touch that allows them to relax emotionally and triggers a boost in the immune functions. It allows them to release the stress of life and encourages them to go within and participate in the process of self healing. The body always seems to follow the emotional triggers be they good or bad so why not focus on the good and provide a good, ethical and long lasting outcome for the client.

9.I think that the whole organization needs to be set in one standard that if you want to move to another state that the license you have in one should carry over into the next that if you do continuing education online that it should count and that the re certification or to renew your license should be cheaper then the first fee which is high enough

10. A few pet peeves:
Chiropractors who use MT's to make money for their clinics (i.e. with insurance billing).
Schools that make grand amounts of money on the backs of students in multiple ways (i.e. student massages).
Warehouse massage clinics that take advantage of inexperience, offer low wages and overwork therapists.

What else do people want to know??
(More comments and requests) Please feel free to respond to these questions!

1. If you work for a chiropractic office or other clinic, how much of your work is covered by clients' health insurance?

2. Burnout as a massage therapist, and questions or a survey on how that can be prevented.

3. What does it mean to you to be a professional?

4. Do you think that organizations should offer local CEU's/ Do you think that it should be required to volunteer some time in a cycling year!

5. Do you accept Insurance & if not, why?
Why are those in the CIM and traditional medical fields the last ones to get a massage?
Do you voluntarily provide your services to non-profit events like Relay For Life etc.?
Do you donate Gift Certificates to those who can't afford your services?
Do you as a therapist, get massages on a regular basis? Once, twice, three or more times per month?
Do you think that licensing works in a way that promotes and enforces ethical conduct in Massage, the medical / dental / mental health community?

6. A list of favorites, i.e., massage cream (Biotone), essential oil distributor (Young Living), massage publication (Massage & Bodywork), type of table (Earthlite), CD to massage to (Marina Raye), etc.

7. Why did you originally go to massage school? Did the school provide what it advertised?

8. 1-Differentiate between employed and independent contractor.
2-Do you bill for insurance reimbursement?
3-Do you follow HIPAA?
4-Self employed - Do you carry disability insurance? Health insurance?
5- Business owners: Are you required to provide disability insurance for your independent contractors? (In my experience, it varies from state to state.)
5-Ask to specific settings, do your clients fill out and sign a health history form? Are treatment records kept for each session and each therapist?

9. Have you ever had a client sexualize a session? If so, what did you do about it? Was the client male/female? Age range? What sort of setting were you in? (Private practice, spa, chiro office, etc.) How often--once, more than once, etc.

10. What classes do you feel should be taught in schools?
Thank you Gloria, for all this infomation. I can say my employer just paid for me to receive certification in Hot Stones Massage and also paid my whole registration to the World Massage Conference where I participated in 30 sessions. So totally for me that is a bunch of CEU's for which I am truly grateful. My employer is also very good about granting us time off to attend CEU classes as well. Thank you so much for taking the time out of your own busy schedule to do this survey which in the end will benefit us all.
Darcy!

That is wonderful. FYI MT's Darcy is employed by Massage Envy. It is wonderful that they support you with your continuing education. Thank you for your continued feedback too! Many Blessings.

Thank you Gloria, for all this infomation. I can say my employer just paid for me to receive certification in Hot Stones Massage and also paid my whole registration to the World Massage Conference where I participated in 30 sessions. So totally for me that is a bunch of CEU's for which I am truly grateful. My employer is also very good about granting us time off to attend CEU classes as well. Thank you so much for taking the time out of your own busy schedule to do this survey which in the end will benefit us all.
LAST DAY to participate!
I need a miracle to get 1,000! So please tell everyone you know.
Your help is so very much appreciated!

Thank you again everyone!
Over 600 participants contributed to the massage survey!
Thank you all!

I will be compiling the information and providing many of the results here on this website. In addition, a few of you volunteered for a private interview, please contact me.
Once everything is organized, I will be writing an article for publication.

The results and comments have been intriguing, inspiring and informative!

Gratitude to those that took the time to help out!
Gloria, thank you for all your hard work on this project. Looking forward to seeing the results!

Gloria Coppola said:
Over 600 participants contributed to the massage survey!
Thank you all!

I will be compiling the information and providing many of the results here on this website. In addition, a few of you volunteered for a private interview, please contact me.
Once everything is organized, I will be writing an article for publication.

The results and comments have been intriguing, inspiring and informative!

Gratitude to those that took the time to help out!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service